will Ragnar EVER lose a debate?

Author: gugigor

Total: 12
gugigor
Debates: 40
gugigor
Ragnar had won almost 100 debates on DDO and managed to do 30 more here without anyone breaking his winning streak. He definitely knows about debating, but it's difficult to know 100% as he only demonstrated ability to smash noobs and beat that one guy in the Star Trek debate. Other than knowledge to avoid hard topics, it's hard to say with 100% certainty he could beat Whiteflame in some policy debate. What do you guys think? Is Ragnar destined to be undefeatable? 

(Edit: He did admit his debate with Shas was tricky, but it's hard to say how good Shas is, as Shas is only 16 years old and Ragnar has his massive experience advantage, not to mention Ragnar's never-lose-streak.)
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@gugigor
It all depends on the whims of the voters.
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
-->
@gugigor
I think he will be beaten at one point, as Oromagi was. I don't think that says much about his skill level though (he's good). There's always a bigger fish.

I think I'll end up challenging him when I hit the 45 or 50 debate mark. 
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@gugigor
Comes with the territory. The more debates you do against more experienced debaters, the more likely it is that you will eventually lose. No debater is so good at such a wide variety of topics that they can hold onto a flawless record forever unless they decide to never debate again after they reach a certain point or just continually noob snipe. Ragnar's open to putting himself out there, as anyone should be, so yes, he will eventually find someone who defeats him.
Danielle
Debates: 3
Danielle
In my observation, when someone wins a lot (and especially if they are undefeated) they become a target and people almost want to see them lose. I think a slight bias might even arise among voters who are looking to break a streak and "knock someone down a peg." So it's inevitable that the top dog loses eventually, unless of course they noob snipe or avoid tough debates / tough opponents. 

I am in the mood to read (vote) or even participate in a thought provoking debate. Any takers or suggestions? 
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@Danielle
When I finish my debate on cybersecurity with Undefeatable, I could use your vote. I'll send you the link when we finish
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@Danielle
In my observation, when someone wins a lot (and especially if they are undefeated) they become a target and people almost want to see them lose. I think a slight bias might even arise among voters who are looking to break a streak and "knock someone down a peg." So it's inevitable that the top dog loses eventually, unless of course they noob snipe or avoid tough debates / tough opponents. 
Agreed, though you also have at least some people who seek to preserve that record, whether actively or subconsciously. I know I have a little bit of a bias towards greater criticism of my own choices when it comes to voting on debates that could break a long-running record, which isn't fair since I often won't demonstrate that degree of insecurity with a decision that supports a person with such a record. Then again, I'm always pretty self-critical when I'm writing an RFD, so maybe it's not as substantial of a difference as I perceive it to be.

I am in the mood to read (vote) or even participate in a thought provoking debate. Any takers or suggestions? 
Hey, I'm always down to debate. Would be great to get more votes on either my live debate with blamonkey or my debate with Undefeatable, if you're up for it. I think both are pretty good.
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
-->
@gugigor
There's at least a couple of my debates to which I would vote against myself.

The winning streak is definitely weird. When we started here, there were debates I took half intending to lose; but I was not going to just lay down once they got started...

A major factor is I now work full time (11.5 hour days), which makes it way easier for me to lose a debate, but also makes me less likely to engage in a debate to begin with. I mostly consider myself retired. I do impulsive ones on occasion, usually if someone strikes a nerve, or it's just too fun a topic (I will never cease loving troll debates)... But most opportunities for real ones that come up, I'd generally prefer to just talk to the person and understand where our differences come from, and see what we can learn from each other.
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@Danielle
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@RationalMadman
woah you're back. Nice
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@MisterChris
This website is not the reason I returned, it's a means to an end.

I have improved as a strategist and person even, this time there will be no errors in who I trust or how I carry myself.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@gugigor
Is Ragnar destined to be undefeatable? 
yes