Domestic Terrorism Legislation

Author: Danielle

Total: 3
Danielle
Debates: 3
Danielle

"Already in response to the attack on the Capitol, President Biden and some members of Congress are joining calls for new domestic terrorism legislation that would give even greater power to law enforcement. It's a predictably misguided part of a decades long pattern. When white supremacist violence escalates, politicians often look to give law enforcement agencies more authority — whether it was President Bill Clinton in response to the Oklahoma City bombing or Biden today.

But this is the wrong takeaway, as giving law enforcement agencies more power and resources is not the solution to white supremacy. What leaders virtually never acknowledge is that federal law enforcement already has the tools necessary to investigate and prosecute white supremacist violence. Law enforcement agencies choose not to use them — just as they chose to let white supremacists storm the Capitol as the nation watched in horror." 

Source: NBC News

Tulsi Gabbard agrees and Yahoo News highlights her points about how a domestic terrorism bill is "a targeting of almost half the country." I find it amusing how #1 the people who insist the mainstream news will never contradict Joe Biden have been proven wrong right off the bat, but more importantly how libertarians and progressives have been coming together  lately as far as advocating for civil liberties. Tulsi is not a politician I like but one I find interesting. Several other leftists are speaking out against this as well. 

HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@Danielle
yeah, I agree. It's easier for them to try to do stuff like this than to actually address the problem. The capitol police knew a huge mob was coming. They knew it for weeks before it happened. They chose to do nothing. No amount of new powers for police could have prevented that attack because they knew it (or something like it) was coming and chose not to do anything about it. 

The problem is that the government, police etc are much more comfortable suppressing people of color or people on the left. When it is right wing white people, they don't want to to use force, they don't want to do anything. 

And to be clear, I am not saying the capitol police should have used the sorts of tactics they used on BLM, those were ridiculous. But they simply did not have the manpower present to protect the capitol. There are photos of right before the attack happened of like 2 cops guarding a big entrance. There is no way in hell they could hold back a mob. 
Danielle
Debates: 3
Danielle
I wonder why Mr. "Send In the National Guard" Trump didn't make sure the capitol was protected on a day when his supporters threatened to riot. I guess we'll never know.