Mcgregor getting clapped

Author: Wagyu

Total: 11
Wagyu
Debates: 9
Wagyu
Any of you watch UFC? What do we think? Is the Mcgregor era over? 
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@Wagyu
I think he underestimated Porier bc he has knocked him out in the past. 
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
I do like boxing, haven't been keeping up with Mcgregor though, I heard he was overrated. How does he fight?
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
  He is a pretty well rounded fighter with a solid boxing base. I think he's a BJJ brown belt at SBG ireland. Usually he goes for a knockout. He rose to fame like a rocket bc of his highlight reel knockouts. He got smashed by khabib on the ground though. He likes to pick his opponent's apart with an unorthodox striking style that baits strikes to the face by keeping his hands low. Problem with baiting strikes to your face is that sometimes someone like Porier or Khabib will knock you on your ass. He emphasizes counterpunching it looks, but will absolutely push the pace to force his opponent's to respond. 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
Wait.. so he's a pressure counter-puncher? That sounds like like a difficult style to maintain, but yeah, lots of baiting would certainly invite people who actually can knock you out. Huh.
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
Counterpunching is deeper than just waiting on your opponent to move, you have to make them move in a way that you're ready to counter. It's like chess, you have to make forcing moves so your opponent is forced to respond, with the goal of zugzweng
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
Well yeah, I think people underestimate Mike Tyson in that regard, he was a great counterpuncher, he could always manipulate stances and angles to set up the best knockout punch, so I am very aware of how (I think boxing, in general, is like chess) complicated counterpunching can be.
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
Yeah you get it. It's also interesting that Connor is having a Mike tyson-esque fall from grace.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
I started watching boxing, and I actually started watching it to make my fight scenes more fluid, you know, but then I started to actually enjoy the analysis and actually watching boxing matches. So here I am. And yeah, I think the parallel between modern fighters and past fighters is very interesting.
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
Yeah I box, it's very deep. You should consider reading "Championship fighting, explosive punching and aggressive defence" by Jack Dempsey. It's a good book with some interesting techniques from one of the greats.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
I'll look into that, I figured that if I knew a bit more about the subject material, fight scenes would just feel more real. I don't know everything about boxing, but I know the broad strokes to be sure; pressure fighter, counterpuncher, brawler, "boxer", etc, etc.. though to be fair brawlers, for me at least, are just people with high power punches, but that name is a bit of a misnomer, considering how skilled you have to be to reliably set up a knock out punch. People like Hearns, Foreman, ect, etc.. But yeah that sounds like a fun book to read. I'm not a boxer personally, but I enjoy shadow boxing as light work out.