Covid Challenge

Author: ethang5

Total: 25
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
Does anyone know of any celebrity got news coverage when he contracted covid, went into hospital for covid, and then was reported as dying from covid? Any celebrity at all? 

Does it not seem strange that you can't name a single one? 
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@ethang5
Well, most people don't know when they contracted COVID so it seems like an unreasonable standard to expect celebrity coverage of the actual transmission of disease.

Still, we know Herman Cain contracted COVID in Tulsa on Jun 20, tested positive on Jun 29, admitted on Jul 1 and died on Jul 30.

We know Larry King went to the hospital on Dec 23 and tested positive for COVID then and died on Jan 23.

Roy Horn was admitted to hospital on Apr 28 and tested positive then and died on May 8.

K. T. Oslin was diagnosed with COVID on Dec 14 but she was already in assisted living due to Parkinson's.  She died on Dec 21.

John Prine was hospitalized and tested positive on Mar 26  and died on APr 7.

Of the hundreds of notable people dead of COVID listed by WIkipedia, most have a date of death.  Maybe half list the day of hospitalization or announcement of infection.

Wagyu
Debates: 9
Wagyu
-->
@ethang5
Khabib Nurmagomedov's father passed away due to Covid, which was pretty big within the UFC community. Are you suggesting that Covid isn't real? Come on, man. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@ethang5
Celebrities are all rich enough to thrive, not just survive, in isolation with top tier healthcare in privately hired sense, not even public.

Any, such as Tom Hanks and Boris Johnson, who are famous and got it, got the top tier healthcare and Johnson actually was treated with public healthcare, not Private though he did get possibly some private nurses to assist at some point.

I am not sure what you want here exactly. 

There's plenty who have died to Covid:

British celebs:

General celebs with a focus on females:

What more do you want?
ludofl3x
Debates: 0
ludofl3x
Start by defining "celebrity"  (what % of the population do you think qualifies, too) and are you talking specifically American, or the whole world?  
FLRW
FLRW
Tony-nominated Broadway star Nick Cordero died on July 5 in a Los Angeles hospital from complications of COVID-19. He was 41.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@RationalMadman
@oromagi
@ludofl3x
@FLRW
Read my OP carefully.

Well, most people don't know when they contracted COVID 
But there would be a news stories after contraction and before hospitalization.

Trump announced his infection
Later went into hospital
Survived

Boris announced his infection
Later went into hospital
Survived

Any celebrity announce his infection
Later news story about going into hospital
Die of covid?

We know Larry King went to the hospital on Dec 23 and tested positive for COVID then and died on Jan 23.
Does he fit the requirements? Larry King was old and died of other age related ailments. He doesn't qualify.

Roy Horn was admitted to hospital on Apr 28 and tested positive then and died on May 8.
Was there a news story about him contracting Covid published BEFORE his hospitalization? No.

K. T. Oslin was diagnosed with COVID on Dec 14 but she was already in assisted living due to Parkinson's.  She died on Dec 21.
She did not die of Covid. And there was no published story about her being infected before her death announcement. K. T. doesn't qualify.

John Prine was hospitalized and tested positive on Mar 26  and died on APr 7.
Give us the dates of the publication of the news stories of his infection and his later hospitalization and then death. 

Of the hundreds of notable people dead of COVID listed by WIkipedia, most have a date of death.  Maybe half list the day of hospitalization or announcement of infection.
We always know the day they tested positive and the day they died AFTER THE FACT. I'm asking if you can give us an example like Trump and Boris, where their infection was a news story BEFORE their hospitalization, and they subsequently died of covid.

I am not sure what you want here exactly.
First news story: This celeb has tested positive for covid.

Second news story: This celeb previously reported to have contracted Covid, has been admitted I to hospital for covid treatment.

Third news story: This celeb, previously reported to have contracted Covid, and been admitted I to hospital for covid treatment, has died of Covid.

Every celebrity who has had a news story about his infection published BEFORE his hospitalization has survived! I find this odd.

Start by defining "celebrity"  
Someone whom most posters here would be likely to know.

All your examples fail. 

RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@ethang5
It's almost as if doctors are sworn to confidentiality and most patients don't have any pride whatsoever in contracting Covid.

Johnson literally had to admit he had it, that's a unique case because he was prime minister.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@RationalMadman
Do you not think it's odd that every celebrity who is known to have contracted covid and has that story published before being hospitalized, survives? Even the very old ones like Trump? It doesn't make mathematical sense. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@ethang5
Start by defining "celebrity"  
Someone whom most posters here would be likely to know.
This is an incredibly narrow definition and not very usable. The NBA reporter Sekou Smith who just died of Covid, far more people 'know' him than people that post on this forum, but by your definition, he's not a celebrity unless most of the  ten or twelve posters in this corner of the internet "know" who he is. By your definition, I'm potentially a bigger celebrity than he is. 
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@ludofl3x
Don't be Petty Ludo. I used celebrity because they can more easily be verified. The point is not the celebrity status. But who  would know who you were talking about if the person was not famous? The fact remains that none of you can verify a person who, in a published story before hospitalization, was infected with covid, and subsequently reported to have died from Covid. 

Add this fact to the WHO admitting inflated covid death stats, and stories about overflowing hospitals not panning out, and  one begins to think something stinks in Denmark.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@ethang5
Oh, okay, got it. Please stay off the vaccine line, though. You know they're putting 5G in the vaccines, so don't risk it. 
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@ludofl3x
Instead of showing an example that proves me wrong, or admitting that you cannot, you use innuendo to say I'm a conspiracy theorist? That is your standard of logic? That is your argument?

Lol! Ok liberal. I know all you have to do these days accuse a person of conspiracy and you win. Go tell your friends, the people who want to talk about this, will. Bye Felishia! 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@ethang5
Bye Felishia! 
It's FelCia, dumbass. 

Why doesn't the NBA reporter who just died count? Is it because you didn't know he had Covid before he was reported to be hospitalized and subsequently died? Dawn Wells? Larry King? These are all examples within the last couple of weeks. Is the problem that some are described as "complications from Covid" ? 
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@ethang5
Do you not think it's odd that every celebrity who is known to have contracted covid and has that story published before being hospitalized, survives? Even the very old ones like Trump? It doesn't make mathematical sense. 
Not at all.  Celebrity is a wide open generalization but let's use a list of living celebrities followed on an English language rating service.  E-score follows about 11000 people as "celebrities"

Now that population is much liklier to enjoy better healthcare than the average American who are reporting COVID infections at about 77 per 1000 so let's estimate that fewer than 847 celebrities have knowingly contracted COVID.  Of these, we can estimate that fewer than 14 celebrities that everybody would recognize have died of COVID.

Of these, you want the celebrities who

• learned they had COVID before hospitalization. 
    • COVID tends to come on fast and hard.  The majority of people who get hospitalized for COVID learn they contracted the disease after admission, not before.
    • Less than a third of Americans have gotten even one COVID test but some unknown percent of celebrities are more likely to get tested more often- politicians, athletes.  Still, the set of people whose job requires regular testing tends to preclude the set of people who are likely to die from COVID.  80% of people who die from COVID are over 65 and have at least one pre-existing condition but that population very rarely has jobs important enough to warrant regular testing. 
    • Of these, you want people who announced their illness publicly.  Some celebrity illness is going to impact many other jobs- politicians, actors, athletes and so they are likely to make some report but I imagine that most celebrities who don't need to make an announcement would prefer to wait until the illness has passed to announce. 
You've got enough overlapping and even exclusionary conditions to make it fairly unlikely that even 1 person meets your reqirements in that set of 11,000.

Still, what about Luke Letlow?  He won his election for the House of Representatives but then  he tested positive on Dec 18th and announced his illness but didn't check into the hospital until the next day.  Then he died on the 29th.

I am guessing you are overestimating the odds of some celebrity meeting all your conditions.
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
The only people I know who have died from COVID are non-celebrities, sorry.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@ludofl3x
Bye Felishia!

It's FelCia, dumbass.
Thanks for confirming you're an idiot, Felcia.

Bye Felishia!
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@oromagi
Good points, but let's look at it ok?

I am guessing you are overestimating the odds of some celebrity meeting all your conditions.
I don't care one way or another. I just think it's weird.

You've got enough overlapping and even exclusionary conditions to make it fairly unlikely that even 1 person meets your reqirements in that set of 11,000.
Really? Ok, now how about celebrities who meet all the requirements except that they survived. There are tons of those. Why? I agree that celebrities generally get better healthcare, but nobody can name even one case?

Still, what about Luke Letlow?
I researched it, and I cannot find any record on the internet of his announcing on Dec. 18th that he has Covid. Can you post the reference? Also, he did not die of Covid. 
ethang5
ethang5
-->@Drafterman

The only people I know who have died from COVID are non-celebrities, sorry.
Ok. Of the people you know who have died from covid, how many of them did you know had covid before you knew they had died, as in, before they had actually died? (You can give numbers instead of names if that is more comfortable for you)

(If you have blocked me, then responding to my post is sort of skanky Draft)
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@ethang5
Because of my status as a DART Hall of Famer, when I encountered COVID, it kneeled before me in all my honor. I tamed this virus and told it to begone. While it lingers in my blood, I have fought the virus with my DebateArt.com celebrity status
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Vader
Had you not announced on Dart that you had contracted the virus, you surely would have died in hospital. Celebrities like Trump, Johnson, and Star Athletes cannot die of Covid if their contracting of the virus is published before they seek treatment.

I do not personally know a single person who has died from covid, though I know many who claim to have been infected. 

96 days later

Timid8967
Timid8967
-->
@ethang5
Tim Brooke Taylor of the Goodies. 
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@ethang5
You're usually pretty rational about stuff, but this was an invite to be dumped on, and you have been. You've reduced covid to an argument of celebrity news coverage, and a selective group of criteria that sufferers of covid either meet, or they don't count? ? Really?

Consider having been dumped, and I didn't name anyone. Truly dumb topic. C'mon,  man!
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@ethang5
Celebrities Who Have Died from Coronavirus | PEOPLE.com shows 46 celebrities who died of covid.  The odds of covid not being the cause of their death are slim, given they all had to go to the hospital for it.

10 days later

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@ethang5
I don't know personally of a single person who has ever had covid.