I top the list!

Author: fauxlaw

Total: 20
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
Sounds good, yeah?
What's the list that I top? The number of total debates with no-vote tie decisions by percentage of debates. My next nearest competitor for this top spot is RationalMadman, with whom I have had 3 debates of my total of 54 finished, to date. One of those 3 was, coincidentally, on the subject; "Resolved: debates should not end with a no-vote tie." Guess what? Yes, that debate ended in a no-vote tie.

Stats:        Years on DART     Number of finished debates        Number of ties          Number [and %] of no-vote ties

Rational         2.5                                310                                                         28                                   18              5.8%
fauxlaw          0.9                                  54                                                          10                                     7             12.9%

My issue is not with RM, with whom I have had good debates. I enjoy the stimulating competition with him. My angst is with the rest of you who do not bother to vote. On the other hand, someone must lead this unrated issue [I think it does not factor into rating, but, who knows. It would be nice to have some idea of that formula]. But, I would not envy anyone at the top of this list, even though they would have naught to do with the outcome of no-vote ties. I have been on this site, as noted, for 11 months, and I have 115 debate votes to my credit [10th ranking]. The other nine have all been on this site longer than me, so, of the top voters, in consideration of my membership on the site, I also rank highest in votes per time served. So, what of the lot of you? 
I have previously proposed the formation of a group of people to serve as voters who are committed to preventing no-vote ties. I personally attempt to act in that role. As the leader of that particular distinction, I re-assert that proposal. It sees to have little interest among the people who influence policy.  What gives? For the time invested in  creating debate arguments, it's disappointing to face apathy in voters.
I consider the value of adding a proposal that debaters who do not also vote lose some privilege of debating.  What better way to improve one's own debate skills than by analysis of how others debate? Only voting will do that.

There are actually two others [seldiora* & Type1] who have more ties than mine, but neither are current members.

*Seldiora exists now as gugigor, with 5 debates and 0 ties.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@fauxlaw
I consider that stat a dirty shame.  Let's face it:  writing votes is dull and thankless work but a core dynamic of a debate website.  I've considered two software remedies-

• holding debates open until at least three  verdicts
    • which might result in a big pile of open debates
  • earning debate privileges with votes
    • which might reduce debate activity to nil
Sorry, fauxlaw.  Your efforts deserve better than no-votes.

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@oromagi
Thanks. On the surface, I like both suggestions, but I also more strongly agree with your conclusions. Unfortunately, it is a matter of behavior, kind of like my preference for making dinner than doing dishes.
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
-->
@oromagi
Something that would be a great help would be if the mods could edit/extend the voting period as needed. Obviously we would have to establish the consent of both debaters to do so, but it would keep a lot of debates from being ties if time is the restricting factor. 
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@MisterChris
That is a great suggestion!
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
-->
@fauxlaw
It's definitely the most doable & Ragnar has suggested this before too I believe. I'm not familiar with what sort of software engineering would have to go into allowing us to do this, but I'll push the idea some, see what Mike thinks, and get back to you on it. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
When the voters are lazy, it's optimal to debate lazily. :)

I learned to adapt over time and save my passion for the debate itself as an end, rather than a means to a win.

I mean, technically Orogami's success disproves that theory but overall it's true, it's just that somehow Oromagi encouraged voters to be less lazy with his debates. He also had a quid pro quo but whatever.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
There are people with 1 debate and 100% of them are ties. You topped the charts if only regular debaters are counted.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Intelligence_06
You will note that my statistic counted total number of debates, and the total number of debate ties with no-votes. I rank 10th in total number of debates, and first among that ranking, and all others below it, in percentage of no-vote ties.
Yes, there may be debaters with one or two debates with ties and maybe even no-vote ties, but they do not have the number of debates in which I have participated.
Helps to understand the elements of the stat.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
I try to vote as often as possible but school really holds me back, I do have 51 votes having only been here for 4 months, I don't think thats terrible but I would like to vote more.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
That's a great start. particularly considering you have a tight schedule. Believe me, you are not one I criticize. I know there is much on which we disagree, but you have always been honorable in your comportment, and honest in your beliefs, none of which I can or should criticize, other than in honest disagreement, which should never getr in the way of having a friendly competition. I know you're as as active in debate and voting and forum as much as you can. I worry, sometimes, that your involvement is too heavy. See first to your formal education. You have terrific goals, and none of this should interfere. I have all the time in the world, but I have 50 years on you. Thanks for all you do.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
Well thanks for the praise, and I definitely plan to continue on with education. 
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@fauxlaw
I tried voting once; my vote got taken down. 

The voting system needs to be more inclusive if you want more voting to occur. 
It’s either more votes or more comprehensive votes. It’s cost–benefit...
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Reece101
The point is why your vote was taken down. Was it a factual assessment? Did you touch on all the requirements of voting. I, too, have had votes taken down, but evcery take-down was valid. I had erred. In some cases, voting policy has been vague, but, once my errors were demonstrated, I saw where ?I erred and have worked to approve my assessment. I suggest you do the same. They are working right now to improve the voting policy. The rresutrs will be had shortly.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@fauxlaw
My angst is with the rest of you who do not bother to vote.
3 votes.

3 removals.

Requested clarity on voting rules.

Voting rules are ridiculously vague.

Conclusion: VOTING IS A POINTLESS WASTE OF TIME.

Solution: SELF-MODERATED DEBATES.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@3RU7AL
I refer you to my response to Reece101. The weight of the evidence opposing your redicule ought to tell you that your opinion may not be commonly held.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@fauxlaw
I refer you to my response to Reece101. The weight of the evidence opposing your redicule ought to tell you that your opinion may not be commonly held.
Yeah, I'm going to say there is an extremely obvious lack of incentive to vote.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Reece101
I further find, reviewing matters in your profile, that you did not qualify to vote until two months ago when you filed your tenth qualifying forum topic. If you tried to vote earlier than two months ago, the vote, even if it qualified on RFD [reasons for decision] it was removed on that basis. That's on you, not anyone else.
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@fauxlaw
The voter is always right.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Reece101
Nice wish balloon