Atheists: what are some qualities that you like about religious people?

Author: Soluminsanis

Total: 9
Soluminsanis
Debates: 1
Soluminsanis
Some of the qualities I have found admirable  in the atheists I have met is their knowledge of science.  It always seems no matter who I'm talking to,  if they're an atheist their knowledge of science is on point.  

I like their proclivity to debate as well.  In a good way though.  I'd rather spend my time discussing or debating with an atheist than someone in a cult or aberrant sect of some religion.  Due to the fact the atheist is usually a far better debater 

secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@Soluminsanis
Theists are a bit of a mixed bag as I'm sure atheists are. What Ido I like best in general? I suppose it is the passion and endurance with which they offer their arguments. You can really have a good long conversation with one.

It is only fair however to offer a small criticism as well with the caveat that you can't really claim all theists do anything. That in mind I have noticed that a lot of religions and particularly apologetics associated with them will often slip a "and thinking themselves wise they became fools" clause into their rhetoric one way or another so that any criticism becomes more proof in their view. This inoculation against any argument that doesn't reaffirm what is already believed gets in the way of honest discourse.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
What I like about REAL religious people is that they are loving, peaceful, inclusive, moral and friendly. They never tell lies and they never interpret scripture to extreme measures to exclude minorities or other groups of poeple.

Real religious people never knocks down other people and no one can knock themselves down, because of their existence of God. God would support them whenever they experience hardships, and God would teach us to not harm others.

If you hate people just because they are religious, sorry, we don't do that here. We don't call you an atheist, we call you an asshole. Same thing with the religious.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Soluminsanis
A theist is your next door neighbour, who doesn't necessarily share the same hobbies, but who nonetheless, you get along just fine with.

There are also obsessive single-minded theists who rant and rave, just like there are obsessive, single minded cyclists who go on and on......Such are people....Best to just politely ignore their obsessions and discuss the weather.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Soluminsanis
Passion and tenacity.

I was particularly impressed with the church leaders who refused to swear an oath of allegiance to Henry the VIII, even in the face of grotesque torture.

Roman Catholics who refused to take the Oath of Supremacy were indicted for treason on charges of praemunire. For example, Sir Thomas More opposed the King's separation from the Roman Catholic Church in the English Reformation and refused to accept him as Supreme Head of the Church of England, a title which had been given by parliament through the Act of Supremacy of 1534. He was imprisoned in 1534 for his refusal to take the oath, because the act discredited Papal Authority, and his refusal to accept the annulment of Henry’s marriage to Catherine of Aragon. In 1535, he was tried for treason, convicted on perjured testimony, and beheaded.[3][4] [**]

There was an excellent scene in the television show "The Tudors" where a monk was being dragged into the king's torture chamber was given one last chance to sign the oath and he laughed out loud and said, "You cannot threaten a true believer who knows to their core that no matter how much pain and mutilation you inflict on this earthly body it will only enhance the glory that awaits me in heaven".

3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Soluminsanis
"I would never ask anyone, be he ever so high or so low, to act against his conscience."

Sir Thomas More
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@secularmerlin
Atheists: what are some qualities that you like about religious people?

I have found that some of the qualities religious people  have are as great or as good as the qualities as those of  my irreligious friends and family.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Soluminsanis
Generally speaking, I find Theists to be more predictable and thus 'readable' when dealing with them, whereas atheists and fake 'believers' are much more complex, by and large, to predict and avoid being manipulated by.

I would have a Theist do an up-front mission and an atheist do an undercover, long-term, complex mission if I worked for an Intelligence Agency. I would also polygraph them to make sure that I understood how 'true' their Theistic faith vs doubt in god and religion was.

An agnostic, deist or a Pagan Theist may be suitable for the atheist level of complexity and unpredictability.

Theists, who genuinely believe in their faith, are people I appreciate for their honesty and predictability. They are very reliable people who will struggle to lie or alter themselves to suit situations where they must be fake. This is something that I appreciate about them. It has its downside and trade-off though. 
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Being an atheist does not have anything to do with understanding science better than a non atheist what a ridiculous thing to think.