Have you ever tried to speak against prejudice in a redneck neighborhood? #cancelculture

Author: RationalMadman

Total: 46
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
Just a thought.
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@RationalMadman
Yep, two guys back in high school were threatening me with violence bc I was saying gay marriage should be leaglized. 
Conway
Debates: 0
Conway
Yep...
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
Yes actually. I live in the south and have spoken out on multiple occasions. Fortunately, bigots aren't nearly as common in the south anymore as people think. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@MisterChris
Would you care to specify which 'south' you refer to?
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@RationalMadman
Southern US. I live in East Tennessee, Land of the Redneck
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@MisterChris
And what pray tell did you dare share the thought of?
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@RationalMadman
I spoke against some anti-immigrant, blatantly ethnocentric crap in school (i.e. "dem Mexicans shuld stay in their cuntry! They've been stealin our jobs"). I'm anti-illegal immigration but it's very wrong to escalate that belief to being anti-immigrant. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@MisterChris
So you spoke about anti-immigration stance in a redneck neighborhood... What a rebel...????
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@RationalMadman
Not really. It wasn't like I was at risk or was doing anything particularly noteworthy. I just argued a position counter to theirs. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@MisterChris
How is that counter? All rednecks are anti-immigration.
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@RationalMadman
Huh? Oh,  I was speaking AGAINST the anti-immigration, sorry if you were confused
Conway
Conway
-->
@Sum1hugme
Yep, two guys back in high school were threatening me with violence bc I was saying gay marriage should be leaglized. 
Where I'm from, that's more like form of argument (between men) than being "canceled".  You wouldn't have been ostracized for your opinions on something controversial, regardless of your social status.  They would only be disrespected for being a coward, like if you reacted to the prospect of violence with a compromise of you're principles.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@MisterChris
Saying you are against all illegal immigration isn't a preaching against prejudice unless you focused hard on what they're saying against Mexicans etc.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Conway
I see. Here in 2021, thugging your opposition into silence via violence is not generally seen as accepting their freedom of speech.
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@RationalMadman
Well right. I was focusing on the ethnocentric parts of what they were saying. We were in agreeance on the idea of legal immigration. 
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@Conway
  Yeah idk what cancel culture is, I was just responding to the question. Usually it was a "debate", but in that instance they threatened violence. Empty threats as usual, but they didn't like hearing ideas that disagreed with what they had been raised to believe. 

As for ostracizing for opinions, yes that happened often since the norm was fundamentalist Christian. I could go into a whole story, but it's kind of long. In short though, yes it was super easy to be ostracized for not being christian in a public school that gave a "bible verse of the day" over the loud speaker.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@MisterChris
Okay, you can keep pretending there's no cancel culture on the right wing, whatever suits you.
Conway
Conway
-->
@RationalMadman
Where I'm from, that's more like form of argument (between men) than being "canceled".  You wouldn't have been ostracized for your opinions on something controversial, regardless of your social status.  They would only be disrespected for being a coward, like if you reacted to the prospect of violence with a compromise of you're principles.
I see. Here in 2021, thugging your opposition into silence via violence is not generally seen as accepting their freedom of speech.
I'm not sure how to explain this, but a scrap between men is a social event, not a political one.  There can be restraint involved, and often a degree of mutual respect.  

Generally speaking, the instigators of a fight would face some sort of social backlash.  People become less sympathetic to them, and its super unattractive.  

It's another matter entirely if there was some injustice involving infidelity, which would probably be more rare than in your culture.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Conway
He was describing a scenario where two guys already were 2v1 and threatening to beat the shit out of him as a homophobic gang if he kept speaking in favour of gay marriage legalisation.

This is extremely synonymous with the 'pile on the poster' ethos that modern day Internet social media cancel culture entails and conservatives keep acting as if it's one-way and something they never do.
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@RationalMadman
At least we agree cancel culture is not a positive thing.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@MisterChris
The average citizen is gullible and susceptible to peer pressure. Due to this, positive cancel culture is not just possible but a necessary evil to combat disinformation and toxic ethos being spread on platforms of mass influence.

My thread's purpose is to prove that the people who play the victim to it, are brutal perpetrators of it in a sense that is even less justifiable. You try to say the wrong shit in some very right-wing areas and you will be in hospital.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
Have you ever tried to speak against prejudice in a redneck neighborhood? #cancelculture
  • If I point out that REDNECK is a term of anti-white derision then this post probably qualifies.
  • REDNECK, by definition, is rural and most NEIGHBORHOODs are by definition, not rural.  The term is probably oxymoronic and certainly rural areas are known for not creating a lot of public venues for outsider opinion or political protest.  Prejudices are very rarely openly discussed in public venue, precisely to avoid such protest.  Most prejudice under discussion in public is couched in layers of textualism meant to provide layers of deniability.  Most blatant prejudicial speech is done in private.  Most blatant prejudicial acts are done in the dark- fled from and denied.
pretending there's no cancel culture on the right wing
  • I guess this is probably closer to your thesis.  I'm gay so I've been getting cancelled by the right wing from a very early age- criminalized, ghettoized, vandalized, terrorized, fired, and denied.
  • In fact, CANCEL CULTURE (although usage of that term is fairly fuzzy) is inherently anti-liberal although not necessarily anti-left-wing.  Ultimately, all ostracism is about maintaining the purity of a core culture and ideology and since such purity is traditionally a much larger concern on the right than the left I think it is safe to credit the right wing with the majority of all cancel culture- even if the right wing uses different identifiers like "family values" or "white power."  Just look at the exponentially expanding circle of impure right-wingers now cancelled as "RINO." 

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
Actually 'redneck' was a term invented by the working class miners who wore red bandanas around their necks to help wipe away sweat and dirt. The more politically correct term 'hillbilly' was ironically the opposite, it was the more insulting term that others gave them but over time it flipped around somewhat, for reasons that nobody at all knows (not even them).

I am not making a thesis, If I wanted a PhD on right-wing US subcultures, I wouldn't be posting that material on this website.
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
*calls them rednecks*

*wonders why they don't respond respectfully*
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-> @oromagi
Actually 'redneck' was a term invented by the working class miners who wore red bandanas around their necks to help wipe away sweat and dirt.
Actually,

"the term characterized farmers having a red neck caused by sunburn from hours working in the fields. A citation from 1893 provides a definition as "poorer inhabitants of the rural districts ... men who work in the field, as a matter of course, generally have their skin stained red and burnt by the sun, and especially is this true of the back of their necks". Hats were usually worn and they protected that wearer's head from the sun, but also provided psychological protection by shading the face from close scrutiny.  The back of the neck however was more exposed to the sun and allowed closer scrutiny about the person's background in the same way callused working hands could not be easily covered.

By 1900, "rednecks" was in common use to designate the political factions inside the Democratic Party comprising poor white farmers in the South.  

The term "redneck" in the early 20th century was occasionally used in reference to American coal miner union members who wore red bandanas for solidarity.
(wikipedia)

So REDNECK has always meant rural, southern, farmer first and is mostly used that way today (..."you might be a redneck" jokes, etc).  It did once refer to union miners but not originally and few people are thinking of miners or union  or even left-wing political terms when they say redneck today.  In fact, there are fewer than 50,000 miners left in the US.

The more politically correct term 'hillbilly' was ironically the opposite, it was the more insulting term that others gave them but over time it flipped around somewhat, for reasons that nobody at all knows (not even them).

REDNECK is "a derogatory term chiefly, but not exclusively, applied to white Americans perceived to be crass and unsophisticated, closely associated with rural whites of the Southern United States. Its usage is similar in meaning to cracker (especially regarding Texas, Georgia, and Florida), hillbilly (especially regarding Appalachia and the Ozarks), and white trash (but without the last term's suggestions of immorality).

HILLBILLY is "a term (often derogatory) for people who dwell in rural, mountainous areas in the United States, primarily in southern Appalachia and the Ozarks."

I am not making a thesis, If I wanted a PhD on right-wing US subcultures, I wouldn't be posting that material on this website.
A thesis statement is your topic or controlling idea.  If you are not making a thesis then you probably aren't making an arguable point.
Conway
Conway
-->
@bmdrocks21
Generally it's a reference to people who would work under the sun all day.  Whether or not it's spoken derisively could be useful information to the recipient.
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@Conway
It is essentially how the "n-word" is viewed. You can say it if you are of that group, but otherwise it is derisive.

Clearly, the original poster doesn't consider himself a "redneck"
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
@bmdrocks21
I am curious of something. Out of these words which is the least rude and embraced by the group:

1. Cracker
  2. White trash
  3. Hillbilly
  4. Redneck
  5. Hick
  6. Trailer trash
  7. Confederate 
I am under the understanding that all except 4 are ruder than 4. I am asking this genuinely to understand how to make a thread that proves they have their own political correctness and cancel culture, without being too offensive to them. What word/term should I have used? Don't say 'farmer' that is far too vague and offensive to non-farmer R**necks.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@RationalMadman
If someone called me a Confederate I'd think they'd have no brain cells