School systems should include LBTQ+ topics in their history and sex education

Author: Theweakeredge

Total: 278
949havoc
Debates: 7
949havoc
-->
@zedvictor4
There's a better source than a "device," which is, after all, just another fallible product made by fallible beings.
I trust the advice of an infallible being, and that is not simply restricted to reading scripture. I believe wholly in personal revelation.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@949havoc
Maybe GOD was a device, and maybe it will be again.

Given the direction that material evolution is currently heading.

As you say...... The human is fallible.

And also fragile.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@949havoc
That's.... utterly unrelated to almost any point I've made, I would never claim that "all" teachers are anything aside from teachers. I'd argue that *most* are underpaid, etc, etc - but I'm also utterly unconvinced by a single, unproven example.

I suppose you are trying to argue that parents are a better source for this sort of thing? Why? What, to you, distinguishes what a parent should teach and what a teacher should teach? Is your position fundamentally anti-public education? I can sympathize with you, but the fact of the matter is that too many parents are bigoted against LGBTQIA+ people to properly teach it - as in - according to the science. While this isn't unique to parents, teachers can be regulated and told to not teach stuff that isn't true (which, is also a problem, but that's a whole other thing). 

One more question, before I go, if you decide what each category of person should teach (teachers and parents), what is your proof that this should be the case? And don't use another anecdote which we can't verify, please present some sort of empirical basis for your claim, or an argument which philosophically demands that to be the case (for example: If P, then Q - > P -> Therefore Q).
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@sadolite
Yes, Scientific information, and if a scientific source has told you that there are a specific "number" of genders, that source probably isn't accurate. Because according to what we know, Gender is a spectrum. Think about it like; ethnicity (in terms of "spectrum" not identity, whole seperate things), would you argue: "Science says there's 54 ethnicities pshaw!" No, of course not, you'd say - "People can be "between" black or white, but not colloquially considered either" This is how that works. If you were to draw a line, and at one end write "female" and at the other write "male", everything in the middle could be considered diffferent genders. It's not any fixed number, its experiential. And I know what you wanna' say, "But we know what determines that! It ain't experience! It's yer' chromosomes!" This is an interesting argument, considering the existence XX male syndrome and XY female syndrome (or Swayer Snydrome), which shows that while chromosomes do indeed have a part in determining your phenotypical expression, it is not all there is. I'm not trying to say that this by itself, demonstrates anything about the whole experience of gender, I'm trying to get across that "chromosomes = sex" is an extremely simplistic understanding of the actual science. There are other genes in your body which can also determine your physical and experiential identity. Further, if you've read my debates on the topic (which are admittedly out of date, even evidencially), you'd know my argument for the acceptance of gender identity as a measurement of gender. Which is, when considering the differenciation in the brain via sexual phenotypes, we see that those who claim to have a, for example, male identity who was assigned female, matches more closely, from a standpoint of differenciation in the brain remember, to cis-males than cis-females. 

Now, you can argue that I lost that debate where I showed that the best; however, the voter who ended it actually said they were convinced on the science, and that it was just my lazy defence of the other bit that made me lose. Take all of this as you will but at least have more than an impositional position. 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@zedvictor4
Interesting, and it seems your still at it, eh?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Theweakeredge
Yep.......Opinions and ideas.

Evolution would seem to be going techno

So maybe organic isn't the answer to everything.

Perhaps we're just an evolutionary cog.

What do you think?
sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
-->
@Theweakeredge
You do understand all of what you just said is pure opinion and devoid of any science. The word Gender has simply been hijacked to mean something else like the word Gay. There are two genders male and female. The fact anyone would think otherwise is living a mental delusion. I am not obligated nor is society obligated to change anything to accommodate anyone's mental  social delusions so the can feel better about themselves and their mental problems. Putting lipstick on a male hog doesn't make it a gilt.  Is your pet male or female? How can you tell?
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
You do understand all of what you just said is pure opinion and devoid of any science. The word Gender has simply been hijacked to mean something else like the word Gay. There are two genders male and female. The fact anyone would think otherwise is living a mental delusion. I am not obligated nor is society obligated to change anything to accommodate anyone's mental  social delusions so the can feel better about themselves and their mental problems. Putting lipstick on a male hog doesn't make it a gilt.  Is your pet male or female? How can you tell?
You do understand all of what you just said is pure opinion and devoid of any science. The word "Gender" has simply been hijacked by you to mean something else like the word "Sex". There are many genders(in fact, there are more than 2 sexes). The fact anyone would think otherwise would mean that you are on outdated information, or something like that. I am not obligated nor is society obligated to erase the existing identities of people just because we don't think they exist. Having a penis does not make a person male in gender. Is sex really linked to gender other than a weakly-linked bond? How can you tell?

Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@sadolite
 Putting lipstick on a male hog doesn't make it a gilt.  Is your pet male or female? How can you tell?
Because whether an animal has lipstick on is no criteria of telling their gender nor sex. Go on r/196 in one day and you will find thousands of feminine boys, dressed up cute girl costumes, lipsticks on, yet still consider themselves men. Men are male if they consider themselves male.

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@sadolite
No, empirically speaking sex is a specturm, and we have evidence of gender identity - because the differenciation in the brain lines up most accurately with what people admit. Again, check out my debate, I have listed the evidence

"The empirical basis for hypothesising that gonadal hormones influence gender identity and sexual orientation is based on animal experiments involving manipulations of hormones during prenatal and early neonatal development. It is accepted dogma that testes develop from the embryonic gonad under the influence of a cascade of genes that begins with the expression of the sex-determining gene SRY on the Y chromosome.4,5 Before this time, the embryonic gonad is “indifferent”, meaning that it has the potential to develop into either a testis or an ovary. Likewise, the early embryo has 2 systems of ducts associated with urogenital differentiation, Wolffian and Müllerian ducts, which are capable of developing into the male and female tubular reproductive tracts, respectively. Once the testes develop, they begin producing 2 hormones, testosterone and anti-Müllerian hormone (AMH). In rats, this occurs around day 16–17 of gestation, whereas, in humans, it occurs at about 7–8 weeks of gestation.6 Testosterone and one of its derivatives, dihydrotestosterone, induce the differentiation of other organs in the male reproductive system, whereas AMH causes the degeneration of the Müllerian ducts. Female ovaries develop under the influence of a competing set of genes that are influenced by expression of DAX1 on the X chromosome and act antagonistically to SRY. The female reproductive tract in the embryo develops in the absence of androgens and later matures under the influence hormones produced by the ovary, in particular oestradiol.

Analogous processes occur during early development for sexual differentiation of the mammalian brain and behaviour. According to the classical or organisational theory,7,8 prenatal and neonatal exposure to testosterone causes male-typical development (masculinisation), whereas female-typical development (feminisation) occurs in the relative absence of testosterone. Masculinisation involves permanent neural changes induced by steroid hormones and differs from the more transient activational effects observed after puberty. These effects typically occur during a brief critical period in development when the brain is most sensitive to testosterone or its metabolite oestradiol. In rats, the formation of oestradiol in the brain by aromatisation of circulating testosterone is the most important mechanism for the masculinisation of the brain;9 however, as shown below, testosterone probably acts directly without conversion to oestradiol to influence human gender identity and sexual orientation. The times when testosterone triggers brain sexual differentiation in different species correspond to periods when testosterone is most elevated in males compared to females. In rodents and other altricial species, this occurs largely during the first 5 days after birth, whereas, in humans, the elevation in testosterone occurs between months 2 and 6 of pregnancy and then again from 1 to 3 months postnatally.6 During these times, testosterone levels in the circulation are much higher in males than in females. These foetal and neonatal peaks of testosterone, together with functional steroid receptor activity, are considered to program the male brain both phenotypically and neurologically. In animal models, programming or organising actions are linked to direct effects on the various aspects of neural development that influence cell survival, neuronal connectivity and neurochemical specification.10 Many of these effects occur well after the initial hormone exposure and have recently been linked to epigenetic mechanisms.11

The regional brain differences that result from the interaction between hormones and developing brain cells are assumed to be the major basis of sex differences in a wide spectrum of adult behaviours, such as sexual behaviour, aggression and cognition, as well as gender identity and sexual orientation. Factors that interfere with the interactions between hormones and the developing brain systems during gestation may permanently influence later behaviour. Studies in sheep and primates have clearly demonstrated that sexual differentiation of the genitals takes places earlier in development and is separate from sexual differentiation of the brain and behaviour.12,13 In humans, the genitals differentiate in the first trimester of pregnancy, whereas brain differentiation is considered to start in the second trimester. Usually, the processes are coordinated and the sex of the genitals and brain correspond. However, it is hypothetically possible that, in rare cases, these events could be influenced independently of each other and result in people who identify with a gender different from their physical sex. A similar reasoning has been invoked to explain the role of prenatal hormones on sexual orientation.
And, these sources go into sex as a spectrum:

Etc, etc, no, these aren't my "opinions" get your head out of your ass and at least do some research.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@sadolite
Animals like hogs and such have no higher cognitive function, your comparison would be equivalent to arguing that humans couldn't fly a plane because a dog couldn't - you realize how patently absurd your argument put that way is right? And you wanna' know how we tell? Same way we tell when someone is bisexual whenever their in a "hetereo" relationship - because they *identify* that way. The evidence points to the fact that this is more reliable amoung transgender individuals than the assigned sex given to them, as I presented in my last response. Again, do some basic research - and more importantly - thinking.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@zedvictor4
Well no - these are facts - demonstrated by evidence. You have no basis to make that claim buddy.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Theweakeredge
There are two genders. Science says so. Believing or thinking otherwise is a mental disorder.  Normalizing mental illness is not science it is appeasing a delusion to the determent of the mentally ill. Science saying there are multiple genders is willful scientific malpractice. It doesn't matter what your mind wants to think. Your mind is not reality. There is a scientific term for people who think they are some other gender than what they were born as, its called "GENDER DYSPOHORIA" Your personal sense of  the gender you were born with not matching what you think is a mental disorder. It is not normal. It is a mental disorder. Forcing society to placate to your mental disorder is fucked up. We don't have that problem and we are the extreme vast majority. Its no different than making society placate to people who want to think they are double leg amputees  but have both legs and can walk.
dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
-->
@sadolite
There are two genders. Science says so. 

Science saying there are multiple genders is willful scientific malpractice.
In otherwords, science is science when it agrees with me. Science is not science when it doesn't.

That's not how it works buddy
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@dustryder
In otherwords, science is science when it agrees with me. Science is not science when it doesn't.

That's not how it works buddy

LOL That's a two way street buddy.  Lets forget science all together and leave the irrational emotions of the human mind out of it and look at how many kinds of genitals there are in nature.

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@sadolite
LOL That's a two way street buddy.
That's why generally when citing science as an authority, you should be able to support your argument with credible scientific research or articles.

What you are doing is using "science" as a buzzword to inject some semblance of authority into your arguments whenever you find it convenient.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@dustryder
I am using something better than science. Direct visual evidence that anyone anywhere on earth can verify. As I said before science didnt say gender isnt the same as. Look for yourself if you haven't there are two distinct types of genitilia. Changing the meaning of gender isn't science. Its a political play on a word that for hundreds of years meant male and female.  No different than saying gay means homosexual. It doesn't, never has never will. The fact that you accept it as meaning homosexual is  meaningless. Gay does not mean homosexual. Gay means to be joyful or happy.  Believing you are not the GENDER you were born as is a mental disorder. Its call gender dysphoria. That is the SCIENTIFIC term for it. Your attempt to try and interchange gender and psychological disorders is scientifically laughable. There are two genders male and female. I don't give a rats ass what you think you are in your own mind. Your genitals at birth determine what gender you are and so do your chromosomes. Science. I learned that in the 7th grade SCIENCE CLASS.
sadolite
sadolite
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@sadolite
Science includes reproducible visual evidence and more. The fact that your methodology is limited to reproducible visual evidence alone actually makes it worse than science. Even more so when considering the fallibility of humans. Case in point: intersex people.

No different than saying gay means homosexual. It doesn't, never has never will. The fact that you accept it as meaning homosexual is  meaningless. Gay does not mean homosexual. Gay means to be joyful or happy.  
I am quite happy to inform you that both language and use of language evolves over time. We are able to keep track of this, with a thing called a dictionary.

Believing you are not the GENDER you were born as is a mental disorder. Its call gender dysphoria. That is the SCIENTIFIC term for it. Your attempt to try and interchange gender and psychological disorders is scientifically laughable. 
Gender dysphoria and the concept of multiple genders aren't actually mutually exclusive right?

There are two genders male and female.
As far as I can tell, your argument is essentially "I've seen only seen two types of genitalia, therefore there are only two genders".

Come now, I've seen better argumentation from 5 year olds.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@dustryder
"As far as I can tell, your argument is essentially "I've seen only seen two types of genitalia, therefore there are only two genders".

Come now, I've seen better argumentation from 5 year olds."

Oh well please show us all a third type of human genitals that are not a physical deformity of either of the scientifically proven existing two. This should be quite easy to show. I cant wait to see this. Gender does not mean what you think you are in your own mind. Gender means male and female. You try to tell me it doesn't. You argue gender can mean anything , which is abhorrently wrong. Gender is not a type of  behavior or personal sexual proclivities.

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@sadolite
That's a lot of assertions with absolutely zero evidence behind them. I think you might actually be doing worse than 5 year olds.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Theweakeredge
Ongoing technological evolution is the evidence.

It's happening right before your eyes.

We now have a generation of people who cannot function without a device.

So considering what might be the necessary outcome of material evolution.

Which is the most likely to eventually become unnecessary.

Man or technology?
Rampli22
Rampli22
I completely agree with the idea of the topic. You have no idea how big the anti-LGBT phobia is. Currently, 69 countries consider homosexual relations a crime for which they imprison or even sentence you to death. This is completely abnormal in the 21st century. We need to teach in schools that there are people with special needs. They should also talk about escort services https://www.escorts2.com/female-escorts/ohio/cincinnati. Teens should know that there are girls who satisfy for money. This prevents cases of rape.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Rampli22
There are liberal societies, and there are not so liberal societies. 

And the 21st century is simply a point on a universal timeline. 

And then there is normal, and then there is a conceptually derived version of normal.

Which might also be a conceptually derived abnormal, depending upon how people have been conditioned to process the relative data.

It's easy to assume that we know the difference between right and wrong...But can you convince 7.9billion others?

And "girls who satisfy for money"....You seemingly think that this is OK in the 21st century.

So what about boys that satisfy for money?
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@dustryder
I made no assertions and I am still waiting to see this 3rd type of genitals.  You mocked me for  thinking there are only two and coming to the conclusion that there are only two genders because I am only aware of two types of human genitals. Gender is a state of being always has been. Gender is not an emotional belief. Prove me wrong. I want you to deny that the term gender has not been high jacked and its definition changed to promote a political agenda. Saying you identify as gender you were not born as is proof that you are making a conscious effort and  going out of your way to try and act like a gender you are not. That is called a delusion. That is not a state of being.

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@sadolite
I'm not mocking you for your belief. I'm mocking you for your infantile approach at justifying it.

Case in point: Asserting that gay does not mean homosexual, when it is established as such in both official language authorities and by common parlance, just because you want to serve the point that language does not change? Juvenile and ridiculous.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
Well stated.

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@dustryder
Language doesn't change, people hijack, and willfully change its original meaning. That is what is infantile. The word gay was stolen because people who are homosexual don't like the word. So they, like infantile children, try to change the meaning of an existing word with a completely different meaning that they like better. GAY
sadolite
sadolite
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@sadolite
Actually that's false, Gender Dysphoria is defined as:
"psychological distress that results from an incongruence between one’s sex assigned at birth and one’s gender identity. "
Its the stress that comes as a result of gender noncomformity. Again, I beg of you to do your research, if you aren't going to engage with my argument - then I see no reason to do that to yours. You've utterly dropped your other argument about other animals -most likely because you realize its absurdity- and moved on to something else entirely. But psychology and science in general don't agree with you, have fun with that ignorance boner.