Texas isn't doing so well...

Author: Theweakeredge

Total: 29
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
As anybody who lives in Texas is aware, over the past 4 or 5 days there has been a freak snowstorm that has put half of Texas under boil water advisory. Where I live, my hot water is gone, and though my power did cut out, our power company fixed it relatively quickly. Half of the town had the same problems though, except some houses have no water or power. 
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
Lack of basic services quickly unravels the best laid of plans.  Stay safe.  Vote Castro for Governor 2022.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@oromagi
Thanks, you too, and if I were over 18 I would, lol
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Theweakeredge
Snow comes and snow goes.

Internet connection is clearly not down.

In 6 months time it will probably be as hot as f**k.

Last time I came to the U.S.  I cycled across  Southern Texas, and it was as windy as f**k.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@zedvictor4
This was the worst natural disaster in the history of Texas, period, I am in one of the few spots that was not completely taken down. Please actually research an issue before attempting to down play it.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Theweakeredge
Research.....The 1900 Galveston hurricane claimed approximately 8000 lives.....Hurricane Harvey claimed 68....Still got a way to go, to beat that.

Stay warm.

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@zedvictor4
You see, its infrastructure and deaths occuring which outdo any more -hence why I said damage and not lives lost, because it has done the most damage to the infrastructure, which is apparent.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
Best reason I've ever encountered  to plan ahead with stored food, water, energy resources, whatever can be planned as a contingency against disaster. Contingency planning was a thrust of my entire career, so, by now, it's second nature. No, I am not a survivalist; I'm merely practical to sufficient means to stick around, keeping my commitment to my family to be responsible for them.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
Fair enough, we have some plans. but evidently we should have been more prepared.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Theweakeredge
That last post didn't make a lot of sense and was seemingly contradictory.

So which is more troubling to you...Loss of life or damage to infrastructure?

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@zedvictor4
I'm saying that I was measuring how much damage to the infrastructure was caused by natural disasters, the loss of life, and loss of infrastructure are two different measures. Furthermore, loss of life in this venue will be over time, hence it would be inappropriate to compare them in that field as of yet.
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@Theweakeredge
I'm not from Texas, so I wouldn't know this for sure, but I think Texas is warmer now, so I think Texas got it's power back now.  I guess when the engineers built the power stations, they knew it could be very cold in Texas, but they knew it would only last for a few days, so they would be fine with people losing power for a few days every 5 decades if it saved some money on building costs.  I think you will get your power back soon.  I'd let the private sector build their energy grid up.

Also, if your from Texas and you lost your power, how did you post the comment(since DART uses the internet)?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@TheUnderdog
I am, as I deliberated above, in one of the few areas that was only "mildly" affected by power outages. I lost my power for about a day before it came back on, most people are having problems with water, not power.

Also... I posted it... after my power came back on
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Theweakeredge
I didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know too much about your situation.  If people are having problems with water, why can't people get their own well and be independent of the government?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@TheUnderdog
Because... most people don't have access to wells... plus the wells are also having problems, such is how water works.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@TheUnderdog
Plus... in order to have enough water to run a house.. that takes a lot of money.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Theweakeredge
Because... most people don't have access to wells
If people don't have access to wells, why can't they build their own wells?

plus the wells are also having problems, such is how water works.
How are wells having problems?  If it's due to lack of electricity, why can't you make your own electricity?

Plus... in order to have enough water to run a house.. that takes a lot of money.
It's probably cheaper than the government giving everybody free water because wells are made by private companies, who have an incentive to provide a good well for a cheap price.  The government doesn't have incentive to produce cheap or good quality wells.  They can just tax you more to pay for wells if they can't get a good well(and you can't say no since its a tax).  The money wouldn't even go to wells often, but would go to the government's buddies.  That's why I think the government should privatize the wells and let private companies run the wells.  They have incentive to make good wells for a cheap price, and the government doesn't have that incentive.  My house has a well I think, and if we made our own electricity and had batteries, I think we can survive blackouts.  A generator helps survive blackouts with electricity.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@oromagi
Vote Castro for Governor 2022.
The last time someone with the name of Castro took power somewhere, it created a refugee crisis.  I wouldn't want to vote for someone named Castro.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@TheUnderdog
--> @oromagi
The last time someone with the name of Castro took power somewhere, it created a refugee crisis.  I wouldn't want to vote for someone named Castro.
Brilliant.

P1:  An unrelated someone in a different country shares a last name with a politician who created a refugee crisis sixty years ago.
P2:  All people who share the same last name are alike in political outlook and capacity
C1: Therefore, we must never vote someone who shares a last name with a politician with bad policy.

SInce Trump unarguably manufactured a refugee crisis, Alec's political principles would prohibit him from ever voting again for somebody named Trump, even if they are entirely unrelated to the recently deposed television personality.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@oromagi
You didn't get the joke did you?  I don't like John Castro, but his last name isn't the reason why I don't like him.  I also didn't vote for Trump, but how did he create a refugee crisis?  He just didn't let people into the US.  That's not making a refugee crisis.
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
Hurricane Harvey - hey, maybe we should get food storage.
COVID 19 shutdown - we'll have food storage for the next crisis
Epic snowstorm shuts down the state - sh*t

-Paraphrased from a Facebook post made by a Texan.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@K_Michael
That is very accurate yes.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@oromagi
Lack of basic services quickly unravels the best laid of plans.  Stay safe.  Vote Castro for Governor 2022.
Either Castro brother would lose just like Robert
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
This is why we have a wood burner and a way to filter water. Some people had not water for days. The problem is many had no winter clothing and power outages shut down heat in zero weather. Glad you faired better than some. 
sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
A state with the largest energy reserves in the nation , runs out of energy.  Clearly a full on fucking retard govt ass wipe  tyrannical fuck face is responsible for this full on retardation. You cant even make stupidity like this up. Its intentional. Its completely artificial and intentional. Govt is 100% pure evil.
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@sadolite
It’s not intentional, it’s just economically convenient to cut corners for morons who don’t have the mental capacity to care about the future.

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
I think a different republican should replace Cruz after he bailed on Texas when Texas lost power.  Beto O Rouke is a baffoon.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@oromagi
In all seriousness though, Castro seems too far left, as the stereotypical Texan democrat is.  He wants to legalize late term abortions, he wants to repeal the Hyde Amendment (Which forces pro lifers to pay for abortions).  I'm pro choice, but I don't want to pay for other people's abortions. 

He also wants racial Reperations, which will do nothing to help black people out(as if you give people free money, they spend it on worthless stuff.  We see this with lottery winners all the time).  The government will also go deeper into debt wasting money on black people, and we are too deep in debt to add on any new social programs.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@K_Michael
That's a sad Hurricane Harvey history that is entirely unavoidable. 
Should have had food storage already. I own a freeze dryer [for 2 years]  and, to date, have storage for 2.5 years for my family, plus additional storage in other storage methods; over 3 years in all.

I have an underground water cistern of 2,500 gallons, [the state-imposed max - a stupid law - plus above ground of 500 gallons. The addition actually violates the law, but ask me if I care. Stupid law.

I have prepared grab-and-go kits of food & water, clothing, money, and other supplies [including a large tent/arctic-capable sleeping bags] for the family  to last a week away from home if ever necessary.

We conduct timed family drills every other month to assure we each know what to do with assigned tasks for each person to accomplish and collect at a designated point away from the house. What's better, anyone in the family can declare a drill at any time, just to assure we're all ready to act immediately.

I can collect the family in an emergency in my basement and hermetically seal it for a year's survival, if necessary. No flood potential. I am upgrade from  fresh, ever-flowing stream across my property on a hill surrounded by forest. My solar panels will continue function if the grid goes down, and have another proprietary electrical energy source if needed by grid shutdown. I 'm ready for just about anything but a direct nuclear strike.

I know there's more we could do, but we're already better off, I think, than nine of ten people in a random population.