Why Did the Jews Believe Jesus to be Possessed?

Author: Stephen

Total: 54
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen

“ Why are you trying to kill me?”“You are demon-possessed,”the crowd answered.  7: 19-20

Jews answered him, “Aren’t we right in saying that you are a Samaritan and demon-possessed?” John8:48

Jesus's own family appear to agree with those that wanted to kill him too.....

saying : "He is demon-possessed and raving mad. Why listen to him?" John10:20– Mark3:21

Was Jesus sick, or mad, or possessed as the scriptures describe.   It is all doubtful isn't that  the son of god aka god to Christians , could  be possessed isn't it? 

So is there a single explanation why these Jews, including Jesus' own family which included the handpicked virgin herself -  Mary mother of God - would even suggest that Jesus son of god was possessed with a demon? 

Stephen
Stephen
Can no one explain in English what is going on in those verses above, not even in ancient Greek!!!!? 
BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Stephen

Stephen,

What makes your proposition even worse, is the fact that Trinitarians like myself have to accept that Jesus, as the serial killer Yahweh God incarnate, is in fact god.  Therefore, how can a true all powerful one god ever let Himself be demon-possessed?  Remember discussing that I worship a weak god where Jesus allowed Himself to be killed upon the cross? Now, it is shown once again of Jesus' weakness in allowing Him to be possessed by demons!  WTF!  Like I stated before, Zeus being the King of all gods, because his writings said so, as in the same manner as Jesus'writings said certain things about Him, was a much stronger god concept of this era.  

As the only TRUE Christian upon this Religion forum, I only wish that Jesus had Zeus' overall strength along with being the Savior of the Jewish people only, and of none other. 

You keep putting my faith in question, damn you!

BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Stephen
@fauxlaw

Stephen,

YOUR QUOTE TO THE "GREEK" AFICIONADO FAUXLAW: "Can no one explain in English what is going on in those verses above, not even in ancient Greek!!!!?"

As I am sure you are aware, we both Bible Slapped Silly®️ Fauxlaw in your "How Does Jesus Expect To Get Away With Blatant Lies...." thread, where with me he has run away AGAIN from his total Bible ignorance in using Greek translations of certain words that are in the background, nonetheless, fauxlaw calls Jesus a LIAR in doing so.  It is quite obvious that poor fauxlaw never took a reading comprehension class, and because of this fact, he is easily made the Bible fool that he is.

Remember, fauxlaw specifically stated "I am a Greek student" and never said "of the Greek language or it's history," irrelative to saying that the other fool Bringeroftherain had his Greek correct.  Therefore, this proposes that fauxlaw has a certain sexual appetite shall we say! In any event, whatever credo he had left within this forum has now completely vanished.

fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
Having charged anyone as me, who is a student of Greek [meaning, of course, when one has a clear head, that I am educated in the Greek language] to answer his question, but then blocks my direct answer to him, has not desired that I answer his question, but blocks my answer. Therefore, the answer will not be offered by any other means than that already offered: Do not pick and choose verses at random by search words that can, and do, lead one astray, as would one pick and choose a meal in a cafeteria, not desiring to have the entire feast available, but seek only to pick cherries [rank cherries at that], so is the seeker who does not read the whole of the body of scripture to understand them himself. So be it. Pick and choose, and be ignorant of the whole.
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Stephen
@fauxlaw

FAUXLAW, the runaway from biblical axioms, and is now the #1 Bible fool of this forum, and has called Jesus a LIAR,

YOUR QUOTE TO PUT IN PERSPECTIVE: "Do not pick and choose verses at random by search words that can, and do, lead one astray, as would one pick and choose a meal in a cafeteria, not desiring to have the entire feast available, ...."

To have the entire feast available like you stated, then explain away the following alleged "pick and choose" passages, and for the sake of you not being made the runaway Bible fool again, DO NOT RUN this time for a change, understood?  

“ Why are you trying to kill me?” “You are demon-possessed,”the crowd answered.  7: 19-20
Jews answered him, “Aren’t we right in saying that you are a Samaritan and demon-possessed?” John8:48
Jesus's own family appear to agree with those that wanted to kill him too.....
saying : "He is demon-possessed and raving mad. Why listen to him?" John10:20– Mark3:21

Jesus and the membership are watching, BEGIN:

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@fauxlaw
Having charged anyone as me, who is a student of Greek ..............................to answer his question, but then blocks my direct answer to him, has not desired that I answer his question, but blocks my answer.

You are  not the only one here that claims the title of a  student of ancient Greek. Or even knowing Greek.   Accusing the atheist of " not knowing the Greek translation" and "cherry picking" is not new or exclusive to you. No, that lame excuse has been offered numerous times over they years on this forum alone to others and to me personally.     They are just a few of the oldest excuses Christian theist use when caught on the back foot and after painting themselves into a corner as you too have now done. 

When requested and offered the opportunity to put your Greek linguistical skills into practice,  here #32 here #34 here #42 here #63 here #77 - FIVE TIMES !!!! in all;  you fell at the first fence and never recovered. 

but then blocks my direct answer to him, has not desired that I answer his question, but blocks my answer. 

Yes it is a horrible cowardly trick that  I  learned from YOU specifically.  Not nice is it. You have such a short memory when it suites you. You are  still  a spinless a coward. 

You have proven to me that you have absolutely nothing to offer this or any of my threads. It takes you only a matter of 1 or  2 posts and your veiled slights and ad hominem and intention to disrupt  start to creep in especially when you are made to look bible ignorant and show that you have no intention or simply too incapable to discuss the topic of the thread.  You simply cannot help yourself. 
I allowed you to post on my threads in the hope that you would see that my inquiries of the scriptures are genuine.

On advice and recommendation I allowed you to post on my threads and to me (indirectly) in the hope there would eventually be some cordial exchanges and I  haven't complained at all  although I do still have you on block. And as it turned out, I was right to do so.

So as recommended by moderation: 

I have you on block. And now I would like you to leave this thread , my thread, and never  post to me or on any of my threads again considering that  you have CLEARLY shown  time and time again that you have no interest in engaging in the topic and simply want to disrupt it, as you have shown numerous times now.

So please leave this thread, my thread and stay off them altogether. 

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
Seems I have a pair of members who, by some unknown and uncited regulation on this site, believe they can order my compliance to their will. As a member of full standing, and, acknowledging that neither of these members is a Mod, it is my firm conviction that I do not march to these discordant drums. Pound away, my friends. I stand on my statements as given. I have merely challenged to read, and read completely and with some frequency. It is how most learning is accomplished, after all. If one seeks wisdom, it is, after all, a first step. There are others, but, lest pearls are cast before the unappreciative, let us avoid particulars until the first of a thousand steps is taken.

Stephen
Stephen

It appears to me to be all very  Salem Witch Trials  unless of course Jesus really  was mentally deficient in some way?

Reading the scriptures it is not hard to see that anyone simply saying something others do not agree with  can be accused of being "possessed"? 

I have been accused by members here of having a demon or a worshiper of the devil or similar a few times, simply for having a different approach to these scriptures.:

Tradesecret wrote: Theserpent, satan, whatever - he is the accuser and you follow afterhim. you are his disciple. From my point of view - he is slime. Youknow like the stuff we find after a snail has passed by. creepy. disgusting. ugly.  #24

In the scriptures one can simply be sick and they are deemed to be "possessed by a demon" as in the case of the boy suffering what we now know to be an epileptic seizure:

"And behold, a spirit seizes him, and he suddenly cries out. It convulses him so that he foams at the mouth, and shatters him, and will hardly leave him.
" And I begged your disciples to cast it out, but they could not.” 
Jesus answered, “O faithless and twisted generation, how long am I to be with you and bear with you? Bring your son here.” 
While he was coming, the demon threw him to the ground and convulsed him.
But Jesus rebuked the unclean spirit and healed the boy, and gave him back to his father.  And all were astonished at the majesty of God.  Luke 9:39-43

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@fauxlaw
Seems I have a pair of members who,................

For the second time PLEASE stay off of my threads Fauxlaw.  You have nothing to offer but slights, insults and antagonistic behaviour.
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@fauxlaw

FAUXLAW, the runaway from biblical axioms, and is now the #1 Bible fool of this forum, and has called Jesus a LIAR,

YOUR SECOND RUNAWAY TO THIS PROPOSITION BELOW:

Psst, have you forgotten on purpose once again to follow through on your quotes in the following link within this thread? Scared again?

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
Notice to caring members:

The DArt Forum is designed as an open-session vehicle for all members to engage in discussion according to their whim, as long as that whim is in the guise of generally recognized tasteful language. No one "owns" a forum topic to the exclusion of use by any other members, although there are means to address members' misuse of the forum. It is not achieved by asking members to "get off." [I suppose there's paronomasia there, but we'll ignore that] I refer all members to the Help Center. Find the matter on your own. Research is good for the soul.
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Stephen
@fauxlaw

Stephen,

Do you ever wonder why fauxlaw lets us easily own them and their faith?  Could fauxlaw have a fetish of being easily OWNED by us, and enjoys the fact that he can't in any way refute our biblical knowledge and remain intelligent looking in the aftermath? My godly secretary is working up ALL of the posts that I have directed to this Bible fool, and when completed, fauxlaw is closely moving in on the equally dumbfounded of the Bible Tradesecrets record of 24 unanswered posts relative to Jesus' true words within the scriptures!  LOL

One of many of Fauxlaw running away from my Biblical knowledge is shown in the following link, whereas he was schooled once again at his embarrassing expense in front of the membership.

BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@fauxlaw

YOUR THIRD RUNAWAY TO THIS PROPOSITION BELOW:

Psst, have you forgotten on purpose once again to follow through on your quotes in the following link within this thread? Scared again?

Fauxlaw, now, logically, that scary word for you, if you want to follow this quote of yours: "it is my firm conviction that I do not march to these discordant drums. Pound away, my friends. I stand on my statements as given," then when doing so, you admit that you are the complete Bible ignorant fool because of your ungodly statements that I refute at will!  Thank you!

Then Stephen is questioned in not wanting the #1 Bible fool fauxlaw within his well thought out threads, in him always running away from the topic at hand of said thread, duh! As continually shown,  Fauxlaw is nothing but flotsam in ANY thread that he enters, period!

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@fauxlaw
The DArt Forum is designed as an open-session vehicle for all members to engage in discussion according to their whim

Not when they have been asked repeatedly to leave a thread and especially when someone on block has been asked to leave a thread. This is the third time I have had to asked you to leave  me and my threads alone and I have given my reasons very clearly.. I gave you numerous opportunities to engage with me and topic of the thread,.. You didn't and have shown  no intention of doing so.  I am now  requesting an RO as per moderator advice.

You need to read the forum rules about  Forum Etiquette.

BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@ethang5
@Stephen

Stephen,

Doesn't fauxlaw's modus operandi remind you of the equally Bible fool ethang5?  Both of these minions of Satan act in the same manner of NOT addressing the topic at hand, but to run away from it when questioned of said topic like the flustering fauxlaw has done in the link below for the THIRD TIME at this point!

Both of these Bible ignorant fools are chaff in any thread they enter, and are a nuisance to this prestigious Religion forum, where unfortunately, they don't have the sense to feel embarrassed about their child like runaway status!  Jesus will sort them out upon Judgment Day for sure, praise!
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@BrotherDThomas

Doesn't fauxlaw's modus operandi remind you of the equally Bible fool ethang5?

Indeed brother and Ethang5 thought he too could abuse the rules until he was put in his place and corrected on a few points by moderation.

He got his reply >>>>   

#6  Ragnar   Added02.06.21 11:21AM
*facepalm*

Following someone around like a lost dog which hasn't been potty trained, when they've repeatedly asked you to cease, is a CoC violation under the Targeted Harassment rule. While usually it is too minor to warrant intervention, enough of it can cross the line (such as with clearly "obsessive attempts to derail unrelated topics with impertinent grudges").

We apply a “reasonable person” to reported posts, which is particularly damning when the users in question literally just came off a restraining order and it's several threads.

I am honestly just sick to death of these people who claim  be educated better than others and versed in scripture but run a mile when challenged for explanations or  they stick around to agitate and disrupt the thread for lack of of answers. It has to stop. Is all they ever seem to want to do is bury their embarrassment under a pile of irrelevant argument.

BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Stephen
@fauxlaw

Stephen,

Within your post #17, and wanting the #1 Bible ignorant fool upon this religion forum named fauxlaw to remove himself from your well thought out threads, and since he cannot in any way discuss your main topic of this or any other thread that you have opened, fauxlaw is not missing anything, but only further embarrassment. Therefore it is a win-win scenario, praise!

Furthermore, now get this, in part his biography states;  "Retired. Freelance writer and illustrator. Business and personal experience in over 30 countries. Fluent in English, French, Italian,( BUT WHERE IS THE GREEK LANGUAGE THAT HE BRAGS ABOUT, WHOOPS ) and Egyptian hieroglyphs. Read voraciously on a variety of subjects. Two Phds, History & English Lit". What is totally disconcerting for fauxlaw is the fact that with all of this "book learning and worldly experience" he can't even  follow through on his own quotes in the following link that I posed to him where he has RUNAWAY from said post 3 times now:   

Fauxlaw's additional biography states "I find debate to be a valuable method of learning. I approach that subject from that perspective, and thus learn from any with whom I engage in debate, as well as in commentary and forums.  HUH?  The bold statement is TRUE simply because fauxlaw has learned from us that he doesn't know jack sh*t about the JUDEO-Christian Bible as we have easily shown with a "plethora" of threads and links that have turned him into a blithering Bible stupid fool, only to RUN in the aftermath!

As our experience knows, every Religion Forum has to have the stand outs of complete Bible ignorance, where DEBATEART Religion Forum has theirs in the name of this forums #1 Bible stupid fool FAUXLAW, praise Jesus!

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@BrotherDThomas
Fauxlaw's additional biography states "I find debate to be a valuable method of learning. I approach that subject from that perspective, and thus learn from any with whom I engage in debate, as well as in commentary and forums.  HUH?  

Fake, in other words.
Which brings his Curriculum Vitae into serious doubt and dispute. 

He, like few others here assume they can come to this religion forum and use it as there own pulpit and go unchallenged. When it dawns on them that this is a religion and NOT a religious forum  they fall at the first fence and choose  a path of denial, disruption and abuse.
It is the same old pattern.

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
Re: Forum Etiquette:
If I m not naming a receiver either in the heading or in the text block, am I targeting anyone, violating etiquette, or making general comments to the membership as a whole?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@fauxlaw
Re: Forum Etiquette:    If I m not naming a receiver.................................................

Which you have done many times now on other of my  threads while I have had you blocked : Here #18. Here  #90 . Here #8.  Here #28.Here #33 . Here #35.  Here  #51. Here #51

I have asked you FOUR TIMES NOW!!!  this is now targeted harassment. You have had many chances  to be cordial and diplomatic.. You ignored all polite requests to address the topic and you didn't,  but have chosen instead simply to disrupt and agitate. 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>am asking you again to leave me and my threads alone. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Stephen
@fauxlaw

FAUXLAW, the runaway from biblical axioms, and now the #1 Bible fool upon this forum, and who has called Jesus a LIAR, 

YOUR COMICAL AND REVEALING DUMBFOUNDED QUOTE:  "Re: Forum Etiquette: If I m not naming a receiver either in the heading or in the text block, am I targeting anyone, violating etiquette, or making general comments to the membership as a whole?

OMG, logic 101 FAILS you once again in your ineptness going outside of your pseudo-christian belief as well.  In reading your pathetic posts relative to your alleged faith, it is easily IMPLIED in who you are talking about without mentioning their name, understood Bible fool? As if every member is as dumbfounded of the Bible as you and can't figure out who you are addressing, NOT!  If you used this type of reasoning in writing your book about the Constitution, then I pity the reader of your book!!!

Listen, with the recent blood baths that I have given you alone, isn't it time for you to take a "time out" within this forum to try and regroup subsequent to myself and other members Bible Slapping you Silly, where your response to this fact is for you to runaway in total embarrassment?  Think about it.

NEXT?

rosends
rosends
-->
@Stephen
If I may just put one idea forward. As far as I understand, Judaism does not have a concept of "possessed by a demon." While there is some esoteric discussion of something akin to possession by a dybbuk, even that is not a highly regarded concept. So I'm not sure from what idea in Judaism any of the people you quote would be deriving their opinions.
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@rosends

rodents,

YOUR QUOTE ABOUT JESUS' TRUE BELIEFS AS KING OF THE JEWS: "If I may just put one idea forward. As far as I understand, Judaism does not have a concept of "possessed by a demon." While there is some esoteric discussion of something akin to possession by a dybbuk, even that is not a highly regarded concept. So I'm not sure from what idea in Judaism any of the people you quote would be deriving their opinions."

Regarding Stephens' topic, isn't this the era when we Christians stole your serial killer Hebrew Yahweh God and made him into a Trinitarian god named Jesus the Christ, where comically to the Christian, you Hebrews have no god left because we are defining what Yahweh is now in our contradicting the New Testament.  

The plot thickens .... LOL!

rosends
rosends
-->
@BrotherDThomas
You had me at "rodents"!
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@rosends

ROSENDS,

Sorry, I slipped on my Freudian. :(   I hate built in spell-checker and not catching same.

NOW, you can address the rest of my post to you.

BEGIN:

rosends
rosends
-->
@BrotherDThomas
" isn't this the era when we Christians stole your serial killer Hebrew Yahweh God and made him into a Trinitarian god named Jesus the Christ, where comically to the Christian, you Hebrews have no god left because we are defining what Yahweh is now in our contradicting the New Testament.  "

I guess that's the belief, but if I'm holding a lit candle and someone takes a picture of it and draws a mustache on the picture and calls it a firetruck, it isn't a fire truck and I still have the flame.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@rosends
I personally hold the idea that in those ancient times one "being possessed by a demon" is  simply what we today would call a metaphor for  someone suffering an illness  such as the epileptic in Luke's gospel that I mention at #9

Or a case of going against the grain and  saying and doing unacceptable things as Jesus is said to have done many times. examples doing things on the sabbath and saying things the puppet priesthood din't like.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@BrotherDThomas

In reading your pathetic posts relative to your alleged faith, it is easily IMPLIED in who you are talking about without mentioning their name, understood Bible fool? As if every member is as dumbfounded of the Bible as you and can't figure out who you are addressing, NOT!  If you used this type of reasoning in writing your book about the Constitution, then I pity the reader of your book!!!

He has posted to me directly and references to me often .
Here #3 Here #18. Here  #90 . Here #8.  Here #28.Here #33 . Here #35.  Here  #51. Here #51.  and elsewhere and all the while he was  on block.

And I am still trying to work out how anyone can forget that they were a student in the  Greek language?   Odd I thought it was that Fauxlaw in his forum biography freely offers us his very impressive academic credentials . And an interesting little bag of academic tricks it is, it is impressive, Brother. 

A published author, Phds, History & English Lit.   And being " Fluent in English, French, Italian, and Egyptian hieroglyphs."

But like you, I  found it most odd that what he  seems to have forgot to  mention in his detailed biography is his knowledge and expertise in ancient Greek!?  

"I am  a student of Greek "#28  he tells us, but not a single mention about it in his public forum profile here at Debateart !?

Tell me Brother, do you think that  it is at all possible for one  to forget that one is   " a student in Greek"?  It would be like forgetting one's own name , surely?

rosends
rosends
-->
@Stephen
"I personally hold the idea that in those ancient times one "being possessed by a demon" is  simply what we today would call a metaphor for  someone suffering an illness  such as the epileptic in Luke's gospel that I mention at #9. "
What does the Greek text have for the phrase? In its conception, there is no precedent in Jewish thought so to have supposed Jews of the era using that figure of speech seems not grounded in anything.

Or a case of going against the grain and  saying and doing unacceptable things as Jesus is said to have done many times. examples doing things on the sabbath and saying things the puppet priesthood didn't like.

Even moreso, the Jewish textual lexicon has terms for people who break laws or don't follow the hierarchical dictates. Introducing a foreign concept when describing seems very out of place.