When is killing a cat acceptable

Author: Bringerofrain

Total: 12
Bringerofrain
Debates: 7
Bringerofrain
My cat has lost functioning of their back legs and cannot go to the litter box on their own. I just wanted to know at what point is the more ethical choice to put her down. I know cats hide pain well, but she seems happy at the moment. 
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
-->
@Bringerofrain
My rule of thumb when it comes to this is that it is OK to put an animal down when they can no longer enjoy the things they used to. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
Ask your vet not some online forum wannabes. An expert who can interact with and analyse the animal in person is the best judge here. In some countries vets are a bit too pro-euthanasia but US is generally fine there because it tends to consistently be empathetic people who end up as vets.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Bringerofrain
I am sorry to hear about your cat.  I always hated cats but then I was forced to take one in and she last for 22 years.  She was truly the worst and meanest of cats but she was always nice to me and I miss her now she's gone.
Bringerofrain
Bringerofrain
-->
@oromagi
This one is about 20 years old. I didn't even know they lived this long before she actually proved it to me.
Bringerofrain
Bringerofrain
-->
@RationalMadman
I have been looking at some charts vets use to determine the quality of life of a cat. If it comes down to it, I will take her to one, so she can be put to sleep in the most humane way possible. I know cats do a great job hiding their pain, which makes the decision tougher

Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
When is killing a cat acceptable? When that cat knowingly killed other people.

It is hardly possible, but you can’t exclude it.

Bringerofrain
Bringerofrain
-->
@Intelligence_06
Fair enough, but I'm was wondering in terms of ending their suffering
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@Bringerofrain
Go take the cat to a vet to take a look, then decide whether you still can take care of the cat. 

Bringerofrain
Bringerofrain
-->
@Intelligence_06
I can take care of the cat. I know what is wrong. I am wondering where it becomes more ethical to put the cat to sleep or leave it alive. Personally I think I would rather suffer than die, so it is more of an ethical question than one about whether I can take care of her
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
Cats that are nice to their owner but vicious to others often have the equivalent of something like schizophrenia or borderline personality disorder in humans, assuming the owner isn't mistreating them.

They are either very paranoid or very anxious of separation from you and you leaving them. Either way, cat psychiatry is a very underrated field in veterinary science (in the eyes of non-vets). Unlike many pets, cats are similar to humans in that they have a huge range of psychological wellbeing and can develop deep and genuine mental illness where they require actual medication slipped into their food, in order to improve.

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Your cat has a serious health issue. A vet can give you the most information what to do.