will trump run and/or win in 2024? what's your prediction?

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 37
n8nrgmi
Debates: 0
n8nrgmi
i think he's going to try to act like he will run, but he wont commit to it for awhile. he wants to be able to size up who the democrats will pick, and then decide. he had a super low approval rating when he left office, so it's not like he's the favorite of all, to win. he stands no chance against decent dems, but these days dems like to pick losers, so it's not like he won't have a chance. he's assured the primary nomination, given how popular he is with his base, so all he needs is for dems to pull another hillary move like they did four years ago, and he's got it made. if he decides not to run, he will try to get his kids or someone he highly favors to run, so he doesn't risk losing again if it doesn't look good for him. it's anathema to him to lose twice in a row, so he's going to be extra cautious. 
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@Greyparrot
@ILikePie5
@HistoryBuff
what say you? 
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
I think  he would be stupid to run again. He would do better to campaign for someone. 
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@n8nrgmi
way too early to say.  Ten days ago I might have said Ted Cruz was one of the few candidates that stood a chance of absorbing a large portion of Trump voters.  Trump has to wait for Biden's decision- he won't run against Biden but wants to run against Harris.  Trump's fiscal, medical, and legal status are total wildcards at this point.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@n8nrgmi
If he does run it won't be as a Republican.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@n8nrgmi
what say you? 
If he runs, he wins easily whether the nominee is Joe or Harris. Gaining 10 million voters is no small achievement and with Mail in balloting restrictions there cause Covid is dead, Dems can’t compete.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5

I'd like Trump to do something close to what Teddy did here. It would be interesting to see a Trump unshackled to the GOP and the RINOS.
sadolite
sadolite
I don't believe there will ever be another election. I think the country will go full on retard communist. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
As an Independent maybe he can run, the Republican politicians and donors fucking loathe him and the stain he's left on their party's/wing's reputation.

He's a lone island now, a pathetic shell of what he once was.

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@n8nrgmi
i think he's going to try to act like he will run, but he wont commit to it for awhile.
I agree. He wants to play the big shot. He likes pretending like his endorsement is super valuable so he can pat himself on the back. He will try to stay relevant and keep the threat of another run on the table. It will allow him to grift alot more money. 

he had a super low approval rating when he left office, so it's not like he's the favorite of all, to win.
I think the democrats would have to screw up really bad for trump to have a shot at winning again. But he is delusional enough that I doubt he knows that. He seems to swing wildly between understanding reality and completely rejecting. He sometimes seems like he really think he won the election which is some seriously delusional shit. 

if he decides not to run, he will try to get his kids or someone he highly favors to run, so he doesn't risk losing again if it doesn't look good for him.
this would be tricky I think. None of his children have his con man charisma. His children are pretty dim and uncharismatic. I don't see any of them being a successful presidential nominee. Ivanka probably had the best potential for this, but she is too "liberal" (at least I think so, i don't claim to be a republican) for the republicans and she is forever tainted by her support of her father's abysmal presidency, so she couldn't possibly be a democrat. 

bottom line, whether he will run again depends on 3 things
1) does biden completely screw up his presidency and make people long for another trainwreck of a trump term
2) do the democrats pick a candidate that is horrible
3) is trump so delusional and/or surrounded by such yes men that he is still disconnected from reality. 

Given recent history, I'd say 2 and 3 are likely. 1 remains to be seen.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@sadolite
I don't believe there will ever be another election. I think the country will go full on retard communist.
Depends if a 3rd party can challenge the current Oligarchy of the singular Dem/GOP party. Chances are slim though.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Greyparrot
Elon Musk

Once he's got y'all chipped, you won't care.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@zedvictor4
mmm fish and chips
Death23
Debates: 24
Death23
-->
@n8nrgmi
I think he's going to drop dead from a heart attack from all the McDonalds
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Death23
The vast majority of us are going to die from that.
Death23
Debates: 24
Death23
-->
@Greyparrot
Hehe I meant before 2024 election
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Death23
Will Trump run and win?

All depends on how stupid Americans are.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@zedvictor4
No, it doesn't all depend on that. Republicans hate him with a burning passion for the utter hysteric fool he made out of their party at the ending of his term (a lot of them already resented him by that point). His conspiracy theory shit and egging on a ton of rioters to the white house was the straw that broke the camel's back, he's vermin among cats if he dares dip his toes in their water again, fish to the sharks.

He fucked his whole career and family's reputation, noone except white supremacists or sociopathic businessmen who don't care what heat Trump brings to associate with, are going to deal with him and his family from now on.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@zedvictor4
If you have a cell phone you are already chipped. Sad people can't figure this out even after Snowden.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
 noone except white supremacists or sociopathic businessmen who don't care what heat Trump brings to associate with, are going to deal with him and his family from now on.
have you seen the recent polling? Trump is, by a wide margin, the most popular republican politician (among republicans). If the primary were held today, trump would win the republican nomination. No question. 

Writing off 30-35% of the country as "white supremacists or sociopathic businessmen" is a bit harsh. And it doesn't really help anyone. If you don't try to understand why people do the things they do, then you can't possibly prepare for it. Trump is a horrible person. But he speaks to the very real problems lots of people have. And those people care far more about "the swamp" (or whatever other issue it is they believe in trump over) far more than his mean tweets and corruption. 

That being said, i don't think trump has any chance of winning a general election. But he would sail to an easy win the republican primary. 

bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@HistoryBuff
have you seen the recent polling? Trump is, by a wide margin, the most popular republican politician (among republicans). If the primary were held today, trump would win the republican nomination. No question. 

Writing off 30-35% of the country as "white supremacists or sociopathic businessmen" is a bit harsh. And it doesn't really help anyone. If you don't try to understand why people do the things they do, then you can't possibly prepare for it. Trump is a horrible person. But he speaks to the very real problems lots of people have. And those people care far more about "the swamp" (or whatever other issue it is they believe in trump over) far more than his mean tweets and corruption. 

That being said, i don't think trump has any chance of winning a general election. But he would sail to an easy win the republican primary. 

Pretty much 100% agree.

I don't want him to run again. He will lose because his name is way too toxic. In terms of the policy proposal changes he brought to the GOP, I am hoping he will have a lasting impact.

There needs to be a Republican president who is much more intelligent who will speak to the issues of protectionism/manufacturing dying, not being war-hungry, takes immigration issues seriously, etc.

His 2016 energy died. His campaign didn't even touch many of the issues that got him elected in 2016, and he lost because of it.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@bmdrocks21
His 2016 energy died. His campaign didn't even touch many of the issues that got him elected in 2016, and he lost because of it.
Energy was fine. He lost cause media ran 24/7 nonstop wall to wall coverage about how Trump’s Covid stuff. At some point a person believes a lie if they’re told it hundreds of times. It’s called brainwashing
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Pretty much 100% agree.
McConnel's speech made it pretty clear GOP won't allow him to run again.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@ILikePie5
And people are too dumb to understand how federalism works. Most responses are directed via the governor and buffoons like Cuomo send sick people into nursing homes. That is where a huge portion of the deaths were: New York.

Trump didn’t have a good response, to be fair, but he wasn’t responsible for a lot of what he got blamed for.

Just a question, did the COVID death clocks randomly disappear when Biden got in office?
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Greyparrot
We’ll see if they are dumb enough to run another Romney or McCain and get steamrolled again
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@bmdrocks21
3rd party Teddy Roo!
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Undoubtedly....We're all constantly monitored.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
@RatMan

Hopefully that is correct.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@bmdrocks21
There needs to be a Republican president who is much more intelligent who will speak to the issues of protectionism/manufacturing dying, not being war-hungry, takes immigration issues seriously, etc.
This is kind of the tragedy of trump. He talked about some policy positions that would have been a good things. Ending foreign wars, replacing obamacare with something better that would cover pre-existing conditions, fighting an entrenched corrupt government apparatus etc. 

But once elected, he did basically none of the positive things he talked about. He basically let other people decide on all the policy while he was busy tweeting, golfing and holding rallies. So the republicans just carried on with the same horrible policies they've been pushing for decades and very little actually changed. 

I think the core problem is that trump had no actual policy positions. He doesn't actually give a shit about any of the things he campaigned on because none of them actually affect him or anyone he knows. So when push comes to shove, he didn't even try to fight for things that didn't benefit him personally. 

If a republican were able to actually run on those issues and actually fight for them, that would be interesting. but the only lesson republicans took from trump is that being a crazy asshole works. 

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@HistoryBuff
But once elected, he did basically none of the positive things he talked about. He basically let other people decide on all the policy while he was busy tweeting, golfing and holding rallies. So the republicans just carried on with the same horrible policies they've been pushing for decades and very little actually changed. 

I think that there is certainly some merit to that. I think at least in the beginning, he had tried for some of those positions. But, regardless, it is him versus a corrupt establishment. He couldn't even get funding for a wall- his main campaign promise- when Republicans owned both houses of Congress.

So, it is quite reasonable to see that if he can't even get support on that, there was no way in hell he could replace Obamacare with anything decent or end foreign wars when both parties' politicians support foreign wars.

I think the core problem is that trump had no actual policy positions. He doesn't actually give a shit about any of the things he campaigned on because none of them actually affect him or anyone he knows. So when push comes to shove, he didn't even try to fight for things that didn't benefit him personally. 

Maybe he didn't care at all. I'd like to think he did based on his EOs. It was near the end, but he did sign one that lowered Insulin costs, another that reduced troop presence in Afghanistan and Iraq. He didn't really start any new wars. He used tariffs, albeit not always wisely, to defend manufacturing.

Really, I think he was just incompetent. He always appointed people who didn't agree with any of his positions. He even had Bolton serving him for a hot second. He didn't coordinate tariffs with allies against China to stop IP theft. There were plenty of things he couldn't have done and a lot of things he could do that he didn't.

If a republican were able to actually run on those issues and actually fight for them, that would be interesting. but the only lesson republicans took from trump is that being a crazy asshole works. 

I'm hoping they actually take the right message. They need to realize that just shilling for low taxes, mass immigration, and free trade for the rich is a losing strategy. Using tariffs, low immigration, and low taxes to raise wages can definitely work well and it would resonate with the working and middle class a lot more. Having a socially conservative party that helps the poor would be viable for decades to come. The Bush/Romney/McCain party? Not so much