Why schools should not be starting back up

Author: Bringerofrain

Total: 12
Bringerofrain
Debates: 7
Bringerofrain
According to this article 1/3 of teachers fall into the extremely vulnerable category for dying from covid-19. https://www.edweek.org/teaching-learning/a-third-of-teachers-are-at-higher-risk-of-severe-illness-from-covid-19/2020/04

This industry in particular is just very very vulnerable and should probably be the last thing the government allows to reopen.

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
Younger people are especially invulnerable to Covid when coupled with vaccination. The disease is uniquely merciful to the young (more so than ANY virus before this seems to specifically target the elderly in a disproportionate manner, when it comes to how harsh it hits). There is something about the virus that younger immune systems seem extremely capable of adapting to and eliminating. It's relatively safe to open up schools again post-vaccination, so long as none of them are children of anti-vaxxers as this risks them reinfecting the school-population.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Bringerofrain
Kids are not a vector for transmitting the disease if you follow the science and not the politicians.

It's far more likely a teacher will contract Covid around adults than children.
Bringerofrain
Bringerofrain
-->
@Greyparrot
I am pretty gullible but I need citations.

My understanding is that kids are usually asymptomatic, but I have heard nothing about them being less infectious.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Bringerofrain
School Unions are the main driver for keeping the schools closed, not science. They are blatantly using the lockdown as a bargaining chip to extort more federal funds.

Bringerofrain
Bringerofrain
-->
@Greyparrot
I don't disagree with that. However them having stupid motives, does not make the opinion I stated in the op wrong.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Bringerofrain
It's wrong because closing the school isn't making the teacher significantly safer over a teacher getting Covid from known existing vectors regardless of school closures.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
There are various CDC reports on it or you can read a layman's article.

Bringerofrain
Bringerofrain
-->
@Greyparrot
Thank you
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Bringerofrain
I'm an educator so this is a hot topic for me.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Bringerofrain
yeah all people over 50 aren't "high risk" like the article says

46 days later

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Unless you are in elementary school teaching you can maintain a six foot radius from most of the kids. Wear masks and have a plastic shield at your desk. Getting your shots will help and the schools are still closed on day a week for cleaning besides the nightly cleaning they do. My son has gone to school this whole year with no contact with corona.