Why is Biden avoiding the media?

Author: fauxlaw

Total: 59
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
I noted an exchange yesterday between Jen Psaki, WH Press Secretary, and a journalist [don't recall who; doesn't matter]. The journalist asked a pointed question why Biden had not held any press conferences since taking office, a duration in excess of 40 days - longer than any other new President in recent memory. Psaki replied, "I speak for the 
President." That's all well and good, but what's wrong with Biden speaking for himself? At events where it is inevitable that media reps and the President will be in the same place, but the President answers one or two questions and walks away. Anyone want to venture a guess, particularly considering how the President conducted his campaign of similar avoidance? Is this going to be a spokesperson Presidency? One might conclude he cannot do it. After all, at least Oba'a had TOTUS.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
Media has it's own agenda.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@fauxlaw
The media has been far too easy on Biden. The problem is that this election in particular was between two elderly men who have both shown signs of mental decline linked with their aging. Consequently, it came down to which of the two was the lesser evil in the media's eyes since you either hated or loved Trump and badly wanted Biden to lose or win (depending on if you loved or loathed Trump).

Most Media outlets saw Trump as the greater evil and opted to side with Biden (even Fox News was forced to turn on Trump at the end because the idiot did what he did). The other problem is that Biden has had a very hard life with regards to losing 2 children, one very recently. The media is scared to be seen as pushing on a kind elderly man who has had it hard in life but it is indeed wrong of them not to be at least moderately grilling him with questions and constructive criticism.

I hope that this 'soft spot for Biden' slowly erodes and he is held accountable. So far, he is doing a decent job as President but that doesn't excuse him from scrutiny, rather it means he is self-scrutinising well enough for now.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
because biden cant say a sentence without stuttering 15 times
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
“What am I doing here?” Says Joe after squinting to see his TOTUS, and cannot see it. And allegedly, 80+ million of you voted for this incompetent. Satisfied with yourselves?

dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
This is some severe BDS to be sure
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@dustryder
BDS: the acronym of censorship cancel culture; a re-imagination of the left, by the way. All you have to do is listen to and watch the man without blinders.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@fauxlaw
It was him or Trump. I'm perfectly satisfied with which of the two was elected. That said, I'd have rathered anothr Dem candidate, preferably a younger, fitter one (maybe Kamala Harris or Elizabeth Warren, even Andrew Yang would do though I don't hate machines as much as him) who isn't a significantly aged person who should soend their life resting, AKA Trump and Biden.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
> RationalMadman,
In the very late 80s, I worked for a CEO of our start-up company that went from annual revenue of $120k the first year to $4.2B the fourth year; at the time, the fastest growing American manufacturer in history. We were the first company in the world to enable the volume production of laptop computers with a 3.5" hard disk drive, which was, then, our revolutionary product. My part of it was the high volume production and delivery of the miniature NdFeB magnets [aka "rare-earth"] driving the disks' read-write heads on the armature. Corporate was in San Jose, CA, with pre-release manufacturing in Boulder, CO. My magnet supplier was in Hong Kong, with a nickel-plating supplier in Phoenix, AZ. We needed product to flow from Hong Kong, to Phoenix to Boulder inside of two days, then back to Honk Kong for a new batch, repeating that itinerary over the first month of production to meet our exploding sales demands. The only way, then, was to be our own shipper. I presented the problem and the solution to the CEO. I was 45, the CEO had me by 25 years, and was a dynamo who had made and lost fortunes twice before. when I asked him to charter a jet to take the supplies with me on that itinerary, he said, "No, we'll use my jet. We leave tonight." He accompanied me on the first tour, SFO to Hong Kong, to Sky Harbor, to Boulder, to SFO, to Hong Kong... then turned it over to me, solo. He drove me ragged. As soon as I became aware of Trump's drive, I thought, "I know that guy. Someone just like him made me what I am today." Have any idea of the swelled head you get having exclusive use of the corporate jet for a month? Dizzying. Trump runs circles around Biden; who calls a lid for the day at 10 am.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@fauxlaw
I am confused, nothing you wrote had anything to do with anything I wrote. You wrote something about your life then out of nowhere stated some nonsense like implying that Trump isn't aged and showing many signs of mental decline with some remark made to Biden, who you and I both agree is aging and barely fit for office.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
@RatMan

Ageing and barely fit for office......Just about sums things up.

Trump wasn't fit for office and Biden is clearly to old.

Surely there's a sensible, post-retirement candidate out there somewhere.

And why talk to a media who's only aim is to knock you down, as soon as you've been stood you up.

Gotta sell news somehow...And people just aren't interested in plain old facts....People want entertainment.
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@fauxlaw
Anyone want to venture a guess, particularly considering how the President conducted his campaign of similar avoidance?
Probably because he’s busy doing actual real work, not tweeting about what he just found out on Fox and Friends.

Would you be more satisfied if he held press conferences  without answering a single substantive question and instead calling anyone asking him a tough question “fake news”?
coal
Debates: 6
coal
-->
@fauxlaw
> Jen Psaki,

This woman is repulsive. 

> what's wrong with Biden speaking for himself? 

The more Biden is in front of a camera, the more he gets in the way of DNC agenda items, says stupid shit off the cuff and otherwise makes a fool of himself.  For example, Democrats promised 2k USD checks for "COVID relief" and have been falling over themselves trying to come up with excuses as to why, despite the fact that they control both houses of the legislature and the white house, they are unable to deliver.

The old trusty "republican obstructionism" line didn't work.  

They are thus left with the "appease moderate democrats like Joe Manchin" line.

This doesn't even rise to the level of idiocy.  

The problem is that Biden put Democrats in this position in the first instance,  by promising 2k USD checks upon his confirmation (in reliance on which the people of Georgia gave democrats two additional seats in the senate).  

Fact is, however, that democrats do not care about so called "covid relief," and the only reason direct payments to persons (as opposed to companies) were ever on the table was so that it looked slightly less egregious when they handed more billions of dollars to their corporate owners. 

The fact that people believe democrats care about them is mind blowing.  
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
Probably because he’s busy doing actual real work
He does seem capable of signing EOs with abandon - mostly properly a legislative function, but, it is something.
Bringerofrain
Debates: 7
Bringerofrain
-->
@coal
I don't even understand why they are betraying the left. Democrats literally cannot when elections without the support of leftists like me. 
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@fauxlaw
I love how peeved right wingers get when democratic presidents sign executive orders, even though Trump literally governed by them.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Double_R
And so has virtually every President since Washington, including Washington. The argument of "executive privilege" has been waged since Washington.  Add to the fact that Trump's yearly average of EOs was about 50 per year, and Biden is on track to write over 380 in his first year [if he survives that long], which is already more than Trump wrote in his entire 4 years, if Biden continues as he has begun. So, let's be open-eyed about who uses Eos to govern. To an extent, they all do. So, singling out Trump is a common, but factually inaccurate singularity. Be aware of history, and it may calm you down.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@coal
The fact that people believe democrats care about them is mind blowing. 
The fact that anyone believes any entrenched people in Washington DC care is mind-blowing.

10 days later

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Double_R
To date, with two months in office, Biden has written more EOs than Trump did  in one year. In fact, historically, Trump is just average in numbers of EOs written. Try again.
Unpopular
Debates: 2
Unpopular
President Trump had one press conference his first year in office. 
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Unpopular
Your source? 

Misleading, because there is not just one type of presidential news conference: solo, and combined with additional contributors. Solo, yes, he held one, but had 20 others with other contributors in his first year.https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/statistics/data/presidential-news-conferences
Unpopular
Unpopular
Someone ask coal how would 2k checks pass without Joe Manchin's support. He blocked me for proving him objectively wrong about covid spread. I guess that hurt his feelings. 

Unpopular
Unpopular
-->
@fauxlaw
Why do I need to show you a source for something you've already looked up yourself. Are you saying if President Biden took a colleague to speak at his press conferences that would satisfy your desire for more Biden air time? I do not think it is very important when presidents just read off a teleprompter anyway. Kayleigh McEnany only read pre written answers that were recorded in a binder. It is all scripted, phony nonsense. Does not matter much to me. 
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Unpopular
I do not desire more Biden air time. The man frankly does and has always bored me to tears. Yes, he can read off a TOTUS, now with some difficulty, but answering questions from the media live and in person befuddles him to no end, now. He is an incompetent man, let alone a President. Just the other day, he referred, again, to his VP as "President Harris." There are signs around the White House telling folks within, as if they needed the reminder, that the administration is the "Biden-Harris administration," not just the Biden admin. The reminder is for Biden; nobody else needs it.
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@fauxlaw
So you think Joe Biden shows signs of mental decline because he has twice said "President Harris" as opposed to Vice President Harris. Keep in mind he  has a stutter which makes public speaking  more difficult for him. 

I wonder how we should diagnose Trump given his tortured teleprompter moments, one time saying parents "sacrifice for the furniture and the future of their children." He called Tim Cook Tim Apple, but to be fair he was constantly mixing up the names of his own staff. At least "Mike Pounce" was close. There was one press conference where he forgot the name of Justice Kennedy all together ("Justice... Anthony... you know who I'm talking about"). He butchered the song lyrics to God Bless America, a song we all learned in elementary school.  Lots of typos on twitter. Can't pronounce the word "anonymous." Called Thailand "thighland." Said oranges instead of origins. He referenced the Continental Army taking over airports in the year 1775 lol. He slurred his words in a speech about Jerusalem (and another one I can't recall offhand). He said he met with the president of the Virgin Islands; he meant to say governor. There was that time he claimed he meant to say the exact opposite of what he said about Russian interference in the election, claiming he misspoke.

I mean if Joe Biden ever bellowed "HELLO ST. LOUIS!" to a crowd in Kansas City the way Trump did, there would be memes all over the internet saying this gaffe definitively proves his dementia. Yet for some reason Trump's innumerable mistakes are just...  mistakes. Funny how that works. 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Danielle
So you think Joe Biden shows signs of mental decline because he has twice said "President Harris" as opposed to Vice President Harris.
More like three times. 
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@fauxlaw
So what? Are you bothered by a president who actually governs?
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ILikePie5
After everything she just said, that’s your response? Why bother?
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Double_R
After everything she just said, that’s your response? Why bother?
Why are you bothering to respond to me. I can respond however to whomever, it doesn’t concern you. Stop being nosy 
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ILikePie5
Do you seriously think Biden calling Harris “president” three times instead of two changes a single thing about the comparison between Biden and Trump?