Lofty beliefs are a luxury of the well-fed.

Author: janesix

Total: 10
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
Agree or disagree?
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
  • Gandhi was not well fed but a fairly lofty thinker
  • I am overly well fed but I can't get my brain out of the gutter

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@janesix
I think the well fed probably have more 'time for idle thinking.
But as oromagi says, doesn't mean they'll 'spend that time on lofty beliefs.
And plenty of people with little or hard times, have held lofty beliefs.
Maybe in some times it's those hard times that spurred some people's lofty beliefs, or put them to the test whether they could hold those lofty beliefs.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@oromagi
Well, I don't know if Antarctica is cause of a guttered mind, and it does seem there may be certain lacks that might spell a bit of... boredom, perhaps [?], but if the gutter is a consequence of cherchez-whatever, I suggest that just because you're fasting doesn't mean you can't read the menu.
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@janesix
Lofty beliefs are a luxury of the well-fed

And they don't come more pretentiously loftier than those who believe  that  because they have a faith and a belief in a god are somehow more high, mighty and holier-than-thou  than those that do not have a faith or belief in a god.

If I am considered to be " in the gutter" because of my lack of faith and disbelief in a god , it will still leave me looking down on those pretentious pricks that do.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@janesix
Certainly not the luxury of the over-fed....Whose lofty beliefs  tend to revolve around as many calories as are feasibly possibly.

janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@Stephen
Well I agree somewhat, pretentious people deserve a smack in the face, no matter what their beliefs. Can I say that?
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@janesix
Well I agree somewhat, pretentious people deserve a smack in the face, no matter what their beliefs. Can I say that?

Indeed, Jane.

RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
Gandhi was actually upper class with one of the most powerful men in India at the time as his very own father. He chose to go on hunger strikes.

His father was the actual guy who went from rags to riches, Mohandas (better known as Mahatma) was born with a silver spoon in his mouth no matter how much good he did it's a fact.

RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@janesix
This is an accurate trend, I'd say, though there are exceptions. When you're very poor, you tend to grasp at the simplest semblance of religion because you wish it were true (or opt for nihilism in combination with atheism to justify the ruthless acts you do to cope with the Ghetto/slum life).

In my opinion, when people have more time on their hands they can then begin to contemplate reality deeper without too much stress.

This is not always true, you get shallow-thinking wealthy and extremely deep-thinking hobos (term 'hobo' used without perojative tone). I am talking of a trend, not ignoring the anomalies.