Cancel culture and darwin

Author: ronjs

Total: 22
ronjs
Debates: 0
ronjs
I have not heard of any statues or images of Darwin being cancelled which is strange considering his racist writings. Maybe i have missed it so if anyone knows of any instances, let me know.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
This has nothing to do with religion.  You should put this in the science forum. 
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
The context is religious because the only people presently calling for the cancellation of Darwin are Creationists- Ken Ham and the Answers in Genesis crowd.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@oromagi
Yes, should Charles Darwin and his theory of evolution be “canceled” if he held racist beliefs? That’s what Ken Ham, CEO of the creationist Answers in Genesis (AIG) ministry, suggests in an episode of AIG’s “Answers News” with cohosts Bodie Hodge and Avery Foley. Ham also discusses this topic in a recent blog post on AIG’s blog.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@ronjs
Canceling and discrediting scientific work does not relate - Darwin is not an authority in the societal study - if his racism biased his research, then we throw it out - unfortunately for you, scientific work cannot be canceled, and his work is primarily on finches and other species with phenotypes which are easily observed.
ronjs
ronjs
-->
@FLRW
My post has nothing to do with Ken Hamm, i haven't visited answers in genesis for 15 or more years, i ask because i have read the many racist comments in Darwin's writings, especially "the descent of man" and wondered if he was a target of the cancel culture.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ronjs
Cancel culture and darwin  Author:ronjs,13 hours ago.
I have not heard of any statues or images of Darwin being cancelled which is strange considering his racist writings. Maybe i have missed it so if anyone knows of any instances, let me know.

......and wondered if he was a target of the cancel culture.

Don't you know?   Haven't you even  attempted to research the question- your own question - for yourself?

And haven't you already created a thread asking a similar or  the same question that ran for 3 pages with  71  comments including only  10 of your own?

Yes, here we are

Darwin images  Author:ronjs,8 months ago

"With all the statues and images being destroyed I haven't heard about any Darwin images being cancelled.His books and other writings are about as racist as anything I've read." 

0/10 Must try harder!
ronjs
ronjs
-->
@Stephen
yes i have done research and have come up negative, what i was asking is if anyone else knows of something i might have missed in the media or otherwise
ronjs
ronjs
-->
@Theweakeredge
Actually Darwin was reluctant to conclude that different races were inferior but said that his research indicated it. So, racism didn't bias his research, his research  was a cause , or at least a factor involved in his racist view. Also, his research on finches is a matter of one interpretation  of his observations.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@ronjs
One of his interpretations of his research was flawed then, that does not mean that research is flawed. Many racist people will misinterpret research to conclude racist things, heck, we had a good example here look up MegatowDemon, he's a perfect example, but you see his research could be perfect and his interpretation wrong in that regard, Darwin isn't a social scientist, and never purported to be one.
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@ronjs
Now days the left tend to place emphasis/veneration on ideas, not people nor said depictions. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ronjs
Inferiority is and was demonstrable.

Though, that in no way precludes social evolution.

The 1800's aren't the 2000's....Global societies have evolved significantly, since then.

if Darwin was alive today he would obviously think differently.

We sometimes seem to forget that the past was the past, and now is now.
ronjs
ronjs
-->
@Theweakeredge
He may not have been a social scientist but his conclusions about race had far reaching effects on social life as racism is reported to have increased at a great rate due to his ( mistaken ) conclusions.
ronjs
ronjs
-->
@zedvictor4
How is inferiority demonstrable?

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@ronjs
I'm saying that he no proper authority scholarly nor ethically over any conclusions for any races. The conclusion: "White people are better than (insert oppressed race, most likely africans)" Then that conclusion is not properly informed, furthermore if he tried to say that white people were better than them in any category, then he would have no data to actually come to that conclusion, this is also bunk... so no, if made any conclusions regarding race in that effect - he would be to of league.... Now, if he had claimed that the difference in pigmentation happened because of geographic speciation of the human species, then that would have no effect on the social sphere... that's just the truth of the matter bud.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@zedvictor4

if Darwin was alive today he would obviously think differently.

We sometimes seem to forget that the past was the past, and now is now.

Well stated.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ronjs
Inferiority and superiority dictate hierarchy, and hierarchy dictates society.

I have a reasonable level of intellect, but it's fair to say that there will be others with a superior level of intellect, and also others with an inferior level of intellect.

The same could also be applied to, every other comparison that is there to be made.....Strength, height, speed, vision etc.

People are just not born equal ,or develop equally.....it's foolish to think otherwise.
ronjs
ronjs
-->
@Theweakeredge
??????????????????
ronjs
ronjs
-->
@zedvictor4
So are you an advocate of racism?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ronjs
Perceiving and recognising differences is what everyone does.....In that sense we are all judgemental of each other.

Whether we behave with care and respect towards others or not, is a totally different issue.....In this sense I attempt to respond to all people equally.

As I see it, the term racist is a contradiction..... Whereby both sides of the perceived line are as guilty as each other, of highlighting and perpetuating bias based on perceived differences.

In the U.K we have moved on considerably in the last 200 years.....Perhaps the same cannot be said for other parts of the World.

Charles Darwin R.I.P.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4
In the U.K we have moved on considerably in the last 200 years.....Perhaps the same cannot be said for other parts of the World.

That was so true up until very recent times when BLM (UK) decided to set back race relations by 50 years, and now you cannot get through the day without "race" being an issue at every turn.   I read recently that apparently it is now "racist" for a white man to marry a black woman! I am too pissed off to bother to find the clip.

A police officer caused the death of a black man in the USA and " black lives matter" all around the world accompanied by riots, looting and murder .

A police officer intentionally murdered a white women ( Sarah Everard)  and some Baroness bint suggested in the house of Lords that a curfew be placed on all men after 6 pm. You couldn't make this shite up!

"I would argue that at the next opportunity for a bill that is appropriate, I might actually put in an amendment to create a curfew for men on the streets after 6pm, which I feel will make women much safer, and discrimination of all kinds would be lessened".

BLM and many high profile blacks people (Anthony Oluwafemi Olaseni Joshua, OBE  a British professional boxer being one) have devalued and cheapened the word "racism"
It will be interesting to see if Joshua held onto his millions WHITE supporters in any of his future fights after his anti white  remarks.

" Joshua said: 'Show them where it hurts. Abstain from spending your money in 'their' shops and economies, and invest in black-owned businesses.' "

ronjs
ronjs
-->
@zedvictor4
Perceiving the differences is not the problem, it is perceiving them to be inferior that is the root of racism. The differences are really very minor, some have different skin color, some have a little more fatty tissue around the eyes or make bigger noses and so on, none of which makes them inferior. Given equal opportunity, which many are denied for various reasons, anyone can live up to same potential as anyone else and many do. My granddaughter graduated from Yale with a bachelors degree and my grandson graduated with a degree in law from a Canadian university, was their skin color a problem?, you bet it was but they overcame despite their circumstances. Anyone can be the victim of racism or a racist themselves no matter what their skin color or other minor differences.