Matters of waste of time

Author: fauxlaw

Total: 14
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
I am curious what people think are activities that are described as "a waste of time." I know there are many. One of them, to me, is spending time in discovery of who people are by identity. Oscar Wilde once said, "Be yourself; everyone else is taken."

I take that as wise advice. The best person anyone can investigate is themselves. Who else is as important? If one is investigating another at the expense of knowing, for example, how to research a debate proposal to see if it a good fit with their body of knowledge and ability to argue with that body, which would be, after all, a good exercise to challenge the self, and to accomplish a bit of self-discovery in the process; to do otherwise is folly. A waste of time.

Thoughts?
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
I suppose the act of investigating oneself can be accomplished by investigating others. I find it often the case that we are more easily persuaded by mirrors of ourselves than introspection. You're much more willing to call your siblings arrogant than yourself and after that, it's as simple as identifying a link. Furthermore, if you care for another then it would be in your best interest (mentally) to investigate them, I would not call that a waste of time. Perhaps others might call investigating others a lost cause, or, as you have yourself, a waste of time, but I find the investment endlessly engaging and fascinating.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
We do things to pass the time... If we have time on our hands, aside form that which is necessary for the fulfilment of daily necessities.... Whatever we might decide that our daily necessities might be of course, which might be just idling about passing the time of day.

Whether how we choose to use our time is wasteful or not, is more often an arbitrary and self righteous conclusion drawn by others, with time on their hands to do so.  Others who might or might not be wasting their own time, worrying about what others might get up to, when they have time on their hands.

Such is the luxury of modern living and all it's time saving opportunities and gadgets, which gives us all this free time to sit and worry about whether or not we or others are wasting all this free time,  that we have all been afforded the luxury of.
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@fauxlaw
@Theweakeredge
  Edge brings up a good point. Probably the best way to understand oneself is to create an understanding of others, and people in general. 
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
I certainly believe we can investigate our self by how we interact with others.  But in the end introspection is going inward not outward.  If we base ourselves on others we are never our self but what you think people want us to be.  The more you know about yourself and your actions the more you can understand where others actions are coming from. It's sort of the basis for shadow work. How you react to others says something about your subconscious . If you start to identity what makes you tick you can see those things in others. 
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
That's a good perspective, and I held back on my complete thoughts on the subject, waiting for an event I knew was coming, but had not yet occurred relative to a banned member who engaged an effort to uncover identity for potentially nefarious purposes. It is that kind of investigation of others, when not a law enforcement-based search, this is troubling.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I entirely agree.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Sum1hugme
I would suggest that we probably all do that anyway.

Though if my understanding of someone is different to yours, that doesn't mean that you are right and I am wrong, or vice versa.

All that this reflects, is variation in conditioning and how we consequently assess incoming data.

ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
Though if my understanding of someone is different to yours, that doesn't mean that you are right and I am wrong, or vice versa.
There exists many more incorrect answers than there are correct answers or pathways to correct answer.

Correct is INward { point-to-able >< } towards truth

Incorrect is OUTward { omin-directional  <-->} away from truth.

Pathways to truth are orbits that gradually fall inward --on spiral trajectory--  toward most refined truth as absolute truth { cosmic principles }

Sometimes the trajectory can have sharper angle and we arrive at correct truth sooner, rather than later, and even then the trajectory may miss any or all associated absolute truths.

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@fauxlaw
Good to be oneself, sure.
And in activities dull, can be found meaning or purpose to said individual.

Waste of time matters more if something time sensitive and important to oneself needs be accomplished, I suppose.
If winning the race was more important to the Hare, than napping, then I suppose he did waste his time.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Lemming
It's not the winning but the taking part.

And the after race party was fun

And Mr hare enjoyed his nap.

And Mr Tortoise went home and slept for 3 months.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@fauxlaw
I am curious what people think are activities that are described as "a waste of time." I know there are many. One of them, to me, is spending time in discovery of who people are by identity. Oscar Wilde once said, "Be yourself; everyone else is taken."

I take that as wise advice. The best person anyone can investigate is themselves. Who else is as important? If one is investigating another at the expense of knowing, for example, how to research a debate proposal to see if it a good fit with their body of knowledge and ability to argue with that body, which would be, after all, a good exercise to challenge the self, and to accomplish a bit of self-discovery in the process; to do otherwise is folly. A waste of time.

Thoughts?
I always thought that quote by Oscar Wilde was a wonderfully poetic aphorism. As for matters that are a waste of time, I find that those who lack the inner resources to make best use of their time are the ones who engage wasting their time.

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Athias
I'll buy that explanation.

102 days later

sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
This site and all of social media are the greatest of all time for wasting time. Guilty as charged. I should be doing something useful and productive right this second, but what am I doing? Wasting time giving an opinion about wasting time.