Does God

Author: janesix

Total: 66
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
Does God have human like emotions? Can God get angry or jealous, etc? 
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@janesix
What kind of test can we design to test god(s) for these attributes if we can find god(s)?
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@secularmerlin
Test? I don't know. I was more wondering what other theists have experienced. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@janesix
Well if you think of one let me know.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@janesix
I am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents Exodus 20:5
It seems this god in particular only loved his own people, Hebrew/Israelites.
And here is a short list of  some of his "anger".

"Even at Horeb you provoked the LORD to wrath, and the LORD was so angry with you that He would have destroyed you.

"And in the greatness of Your excellence You overthrow those who rise up against You; You send forth Your burning anger, and it consumes them as chaff.

"Now then let Me alone, that My anger may burn against them and that I may destroy them; and I will make of you a great nation." Then Moses entreated the LORD his God, and said, "O LORD, why does Your anger burn against Your people whom You have brought out from the land of Egypt with great power and with a mighty hand?

Now the people became like those who complain of adversity in the hearing of the LORD; and when the LORD heard it, His anger was kindled, and the fire of the LORD burned among them and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp. The people therefore cried out to Moses, and Moses prayed to the LORD and the fire died out.
"By the breath of God they perish, And by the blast of His anger they come to an end.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@janesix
They are coming from a far country, From the farthest horizons, The LORD and His instruments of indignation, To destroy the whole land.

"The Chaldeans who are fighting against this city will enter and set this city on fire and burn it, with the houses where people have offered incense to Baal on their roofs and poured out drink offerings to other gods to provoke Me to anger.

The Lord has swallowed up; He has not spared All the habitations of Jacob In His wrath He has thrown down The strongholds of the daughter of Judah; He has brought them down to the ground; He has profaned the kingdom and its princes.

"So the LORD'S anger burned against Israel, and He made them wander in the wilderness forty years, until the entire generation of those who had done evil in the sight of the LORD was destroyed.

So the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and He gave them continually into the hand of Hazael king of Aram, and into the hand of Ben-hadad the son of Hazael.

Your sons have fainted, They lie helpless at the head of every street, Like an antelope in a net, Full of the wrath of the LORD, The rebuke of your God.

'Now I will shortly pour out My wrath on you and spend My anger against you; judge you according to your ways and bring on you all your abominations.

In indignation You marched through the earth; In anger You trampled the nations.

And Jesus entered the temple and drove out all those who were buying and selling in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who were selling doves. And He said to them, "It is written, 'MY HOUSE SHALL BE CALLED A HOUSE OF PRAYER'; but you are making it a ROBBERS' DEN."

Behold, the day of the LORD is coming, Cruel, with fury and burning anger, To make the land a desolation; And He will exterminate its sinners from it.

Stephen
Stephen
He said, "Behold, I am going to let you know what will occur at the final period of the indignation, for it pertains to the appointed time of the end.

But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism, he said to them, "You brood of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God,

'Cut off your hair and cast it away, And take up a lamentation on the bare heights; For the LORD has rejected and forsaken The generation of His wrath.'

"Then My anger will be kindled against them in that day, and I will forsake them and hide My face from them, and they will be consumed, and many evils and troubles will come upon them; so that they will say in that day, 'Is it not because our God is not among us that these evils have come upon us?'

So the LORD was very angry with Israel and removed them from His sight; none was left except the tribe of Judah.

Before him there was no king like him who turned to the LORD with all his heart and with all his soul and with all his might, according to all the law of Moses; nor did any like him arise after him. However, the LORD did not turn from the fierceness of His great wrath with which His anger burned against Judah, because of all the provocations with which Manasseh had provoked Him. The LORD said, "I will remove Judah also from My sight, as I have removed Israel And I will cast off Jerusalem, this city which I have chosen, and the temple of which I said, 'My name shall be there.'"

When God heard, He was filled with wrath And greatly abhorred Israel;

But You have cast off and rejected, You have been full of wrath against Your anointed.

And He has violently treated His tabernacle like a garden booth; He has destroyed His appointed meeting place The LORD has caused to be forgotten The appointed feast and sabbath in Zion, And He has despised king and priest In the indignation of His anger. The Lord has rejected His altar, He has abandoned His sanctuary; He has delivered into the hand of the enemy The walls of her palaces They have made a noise in the house of the LORD As in the day of an appointed feast.

And there was the Flood, destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah and other evil things. 

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Stephen
Janesix is not a christian and neither am I. Why should we accept the bible as an accurate description of some god(s) character?
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Stephen
J6 said see wants to know if people's own experience of God left them with the impression God has emotions.

I'm disquaified from answering!
Castin
Castin
-->
@janesix
Does God have human like emotions? Can God get angry or jealous, etc? 
I've always felt that an all-knowing, all-seeing God would be incapable of anger. The more you understand, the harder it is to be angry.

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@Castin
You're absolutely right, how can an omnipotent, omniscient God be jealous? Makes no sense.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
This is because people look at God as if He's a big old human in the sky, and think His emotions are like ours.

It makes a difference who you are.
Daddy likes mommie
Johnny likes mommie
Anyone think the "likes" are the same?

God's anger and jealousy is not like its human counter part. Why would one assume it was?

drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
As written? Sure.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@ethang5
God's anger and jealousy is not like its human counter part. Why would one assume it was?
Try reading the Bible, the answers are there.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Goldtop
You read and assume in your uninformed bias.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@keithprosser

J6 said see wants to know if people's own experience of God left them with the impression God has emotions.

Jayne aslo asked  "Can God get angry or jealous, etc"? 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@secularmerlin
Why should we accept the bible as an accurate description of some god(s) character?
Why are you asking me? And who said you should accept anything concerning the bible. Jayen asked about "god" and :
@janesix wrote: Can God get angry or jealous, etc? 
I have simply  given what the bible says on the matter. She and you, can take it or leave it.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Stephen
Yes.  She clarified things in post #3, probably while you were composing your reply to post #1, judging from the timestamps.   Its annoying when that happens!

I don't think she has had a satisfactory reponse to #3 yet...

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Stephen
Fair enough. The bible (wether it is an accurate reflection of some god(s) character or not) does observable say that.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ethang5

Let's have a comparison between the anger and jealousy of a human compared to that of a god. We will see if your statement stands up or are you just pissing in the wind.. again and making things up?

We were created in the images of the Gods so this shouldn't make any difference. It seems we can love and hate and be jealous and racist just like this god admits to being.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Stephen
Let's have a comparison between the anger and jealousy of a human compared to that of a god. 
We don't have to. We aren't God. God is not us. It is impossible for our emotions to be the same. One only needs to think a little.

It must be in that "special" bible you use where God "admits" to being racist. Lol.

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Compare putting your faith in lying vanities to putting your faith in The Truth.

You'll see the jealousy of God. The wrath of God. It's called a reality check.

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@ethang5
No, I just read the words that are there, in the Bible, you should try reading that book sometime.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@ethang5
God's anger and jealousy is not like its human counter part
Then define those godly LOL emotions.
They should be the same since those godly LOL emotions are the creation of men.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@janesix
Yes and no. I imagine "god" is everything. It is all emotions, all people, all animals, everything in this reality and others. Therefore, god isn't really a who but an it. It's everything simultaneously.  
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ethang5
It must be in that "special" bible you use where God "admits" to being racist. Lol.

You must just love being licked with your own stick don't you.

Well theAmalekites were not his chosen people or the Philistines, or Egyptians or thePersians and many many more.
No, it ismade quite clear who his favourites were which race and it wasn't Christians.

Jews AsGod's Chosen People

Amos3:1-2
"Youonly have I chosen among all the families of the earth;

Psalm135:4

For theLORD has chosen Jacob for Himself, Israel for His own possession.

Exodus19:5

'Nowthen, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be Myown possession among all the peoples, for all the earth is Mine;

Deuteronomy7:6-8

"Foryou are a holy people to the LORD your God; the LORD your God has chosenyou to be a people for His own possession out of all the peoples whoare on the face of the earth. "The LORD did not set His love on you norchoose you because you were more in number than any of the peoples, for youwere the fewest of all peoples, but because the LORD loved you and kept theoath which He swore to your forefathers, the LORD brought you out by a mightyhand and redeemed you from the house of slavery, from the hand of Pharaoh kingof Egypt.

Deuteronomy 14:2
Verse Concepts
"Foryou are a holy people to the LORD your God, and the LORD has chosen youto be a people for His own possession out of all the peoples who are onthe face of the earth.

Deuteronomy 26:17-19

"Youhave today declared the LORD to be your God, and that you would walk in Hisways and keep His statutes, His commandments and His ordinances, and listen toHis voice. "The LORD has today declared you to be His people, atreasured possession, as He promised you, and that you should keep allHis commandments; and that He will set you high above all nations which He hasmade, for praise, fame, and honor; and that you shall be a consecrated peopleto the LORD your God, as He has spoken."
2Samuel 7:23-24

"Andwhat one nation on the earth is like Your people Israel, whom God went toredeem for Himselfas a people and to make a name for Himself, and to do a great thing forYou and awesome things for Your land, before Your people whom You have redeemedfor Yourself from Egypt, from nations and their gods? "For You haveestablished for Yourself Your people Israel as Your own people forever, andYou, O LORD, have become their God.
1Kings 8:53

"ForYou have separated them from all the peoples of the earth as Your inheritance,as You spoke through Moses Your servant, when You brought our fathers forthfrom Egypt, O Lord GOD."
1Kings 10:9

"Blessedbe the LORD your God who delighted in you to set you on the throne of Israel; becausethe LORD loved Israel forever, therefore He made you king, to dojustice and righteousness."
1 Chronicles 17:20-21

"OLORD, there is none like You, nor is there any God besides You, according toall that we have heard with our ears. "And what one nation in theearth is like Your people Israel, whom God went to redeem for Himself as apeople, to make You a name by great and terrible things, in driving outnations from before Your people, whom You redeemed out of Egypt?
Psalm105:8-15

He hasremembered His covenant forever, The word which He commanded to a thousandgenerations, The covenant which He made with Abraham, And His oath to Isaac. ThenHe confirmed it to Jacob for a statute, To Israel as an everlasting covenant, 

YOU SEE,YOU CLOWN, YOU APPEAR TO HAVE BEEN WORSHIPPING THE WRONG GOD FOR OVER 2,000YEARS "LOL"

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
You'll see the jealousy of God. The wrath of God. It's called a reality check.
Don't get me wrong, christian. I have read and believe many (not all) of the violent actions of the god you call Jehovah/
Yahweh.  I don't need a "reality check".. The god you hold in your heart is the most violent of all of the gods. There is very little compassion or love where this god (the one that you have been worshiping) is concerned, in fact there isn't any for any other nation or peoples.  This is why I have to believe that Christians have been worshipping the wrong god for over 2,000 years.

The only "love" that is mentioned by this particular god is the love for his "chosen people", IS_RA_EL.

It is you who is probably in need of a reality check.
keithprosser
keithprosser
The change in the way God (YHWH) is depicted in the two testaments is obvious to anyone.  One of the most notable is Marcion of Sinope who taught that the god of the OT was a completely seperate entity from the NT god.   He discarded the entire OT from his version of the bible.

Really there are two options.  One if the traditional theistic route of having a 'old' and 'new' covenant.   However atheists such as myself look to social changes and historical events to explain why the traditional god of the Hebrews (invented in a primitive, tribal and nomadic setting) was no longer suitable for the post-exilic Jews who were an impoverished subject race on the fringes of the Hellenic world.

The biggest difference is that traditional Judaism aspired to future greatness on earth in worldly terms.  Christianity was pessimistic and saw no future for the Jewish people in this world - not against the mighty power of Rome - so it transferred hope to another world.   Christianity was pacfist in relation to this world, so had no use for the warmongering YHWH - so God's whole character and personality was changed.  However the OT was retained to give a semblance of continuity and legitimacy to the new faith, despite it incongriguity.

Or so I am led to believe.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Stephen
Well theAmalekites were not his chosen people or the Philistines, or Egyptians or thePersians and many many more.
You have not shown that Jews were chosen because of race. All you've done is assumed they were chosen because of race. But this is because you don't know bible history and are pushing a loony agenda. God chose the Jews because of what Abraham did that caused God to make a promise to Abraham. Even 1st year bible class students would know that.

No, it ismade quite clear who his favourites were which race and it wasn't Christians.
Christian is not a race genius. The bible says the Jews are chosen, it does not say the Jews are God's favorite. That is just you adding your fakery to the text yet again.

The Jews were chosen as the people who would have the honor to have the promised Savior born into their nation as one of them. It did not mean they were better or more valuable.

If you only stuck to the text, you wouldn't always come out looking ignorant. Just the text Stephen. There is never any need for fakery.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@keithprosser
This is the view of those ignorant of bible history.

God is eternal, as such, he can deal with men as humankind. His relationship with us can span all of our lifetimes. Thus, God adjusts how He relates to us because WE change. Man today is very different than man was 6,000 years ago. Why would you expect God to have treated a bronze age herder the way He treats you?

A good analogy is a parent and child. My father could be said to be a different person if we judge only by how he treated me when I was 6 and when I was 37. But my Father was the same person. I was the one changing. Why this simple truth escapes some can only be explained by their anti-theist bias which makes them refuse logic in favor of their agenda.

Or so I am led to believe.
Whomever is leading you is as blind as you are.