Necessary evils

Author: secularmerlin

Total: 691
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Tarik
See, Why Everyone Should Be A Nihilist by Simone Redaelli.
He states, Nihilism is a misinterpreted concept nowadays. The term “nihilist” is vulgarly intended to depict a pessimistic person, who does not find meaningful aspects to their life. However, what does it really mean to think nihilistically? In this article, we explore why nihilism can be a constructive mental attitude to free our mind from invisible cultural impositions, and look at reality and at our personal life for what they truly are.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@FLRW
That is just untrue - nihilism has always been a philosophic principle - and I have defined it VERY SPECIFICALLY. 

"Nihilism is the belief that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated." [LINK]
To think nihilistic is to believe that all values are without foundation - which is impossible for the majority of the population
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@FLRW
I'd agree that Nihilism has different uses/interpretations of the word.
As with many isms.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Theweakeredge
I AM ARGUING THAT LOGIC MITIGATES BIAS - that is MY ARGUMENT. 
That’s simply not true.

Bias- Inclination or prejudice for or against one person or group, especially in a way considered to be unfair.

There is no inclination or prejudice in regards to the position that human life doesn’t matter so that’s not a biased position.

To "prove" my argument which is actually against yours - [LINK]
Nowhere in that link does it say anything about nihilism and even if it did that doesn’t mean they’re the only group of people that are nihilists, not to mention the fact that people don’t believe anything when they’re hallucinating which contradicts the definition you provided, nihilism is the belief that all values are baseless.

I DEMONSTRATED this previously in post #639.
No you didn’t, all you did was make a bunch of baseless claims.

Because of how psychology works - specifically bias. I want to answer your question, but it has to do what you view morals are specifically - so to lay the groundwork - would you agree to this definition?

Morals - "standards for good or bad character and behavior:"
Sure although I’d say it’s a bit vague in determining what form morality takes.

You have continuously tried to play around, and have failed to stay on topic - I have EVIDENCE that you are being pedantic, not answering questions, ignoring a bulk of the points in my argument, only interested in gotcha's, etc.
The numerous times I actually “gotcha” crumples your whole argument so I wouldn’t call that pedantic, also the other things you mentioned has nothing to do with being pedantic just dismissive which you have been as well, difference is I attempt to at least right the wrong (like eventually answering your question in regards to the definition of morals).
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@FLRW
In this article, we explore why nihilism can be a constructive mental attitude to free our mind from invisible cultural impositions, and look at reality and at our personal life for what they truly are.
So in other words nihilism is true?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Tarik
That is an extremely BIASED definition there- as we are talking about Bias in a psychological framework, here's a much better definition:
Bias - "1. partiality: an inclination or predisposition for or against something." American Psychological Association Dictionary

Also... .your claim is ENTIRELY false-  let's say we accept your definition - saying that "NO HUMAN LIFE MATTERS" is clearly a PREJUDICE AGAINST A GROUP - the HUMAN RACE. Your argument is a non-sequitur using YOUR definition. Are you incapable of actually linking arguments together - THE ARTICLE IS NOT MY ARGUMENT - THE ARTICLE IS THE PROOF THAT MY CLAIMS ARE TRUE - SEE:

"To "prove" my argument which is actually against yours - [LINK
"Signs and symptoms of mental illness can vary, depending on the disorder, circumstances and other factors. Mental illness symptoms can affect emotions, thoughts and behaviors."
Such changes in thoughts and behaviors can include:

"Detachment from reality (delusions), paranoia or hallucinations"
DETACHMENT FROM REALITY - which CAN - not always - but CAN include hallucination - which effectively makes the individual incapable of distinguishing bias - there is no difference between the fact that grass is green from the "moral" truth that you shouldn't kill people. Practically eliminating bias. But you've IGNORED MY CENTRAL ARGUMENT, which is that EXCEPT mentally ill people, NOBODY can be a nihilist - I DEMONSTRATED this previously in post #639."

Recall: That my argument is that NIHILISM CAN ONLY BE ACCOMPLISHED BY THOSE WITHOUT BIAS - therefore - if there is a group that can NOT HAVE BIAS - then they are NIHILISTS - this is SIMPLE. You are dropping my argument - the ARTICLE is NOT my argument. You then say my claims were BASELESS IGNORING my sources which I PRESENTED and you IGNORED. I PROVED why you cannot choose your biases except for mentally ill people. 

Finally NO - you are false - your gotchas are only focused on a SINGLE PART OF MY ARGUMENT, not my foundations nor my conclusions - they aren't even SEQUITURS. You are false in EVERY REGARD and apparently unable to comprehend BASIC ARGUMENTATION. The gotcha wasn't even RELEVENT because it relied on a STRAWMAN of my position. You wanted to point out that I had said it was impossible to be a nihlist, and then that I said mentally ill people could be nihilists - while IGNORING that my argument was "NOBODY CAN BE NIHILISTS EXCEPT MENTALLY ILL PEOPLE." 
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Tarik
So in other words nihilism is true?
Yes, existential nihilism is true. Existential nihilism holds that humans are compelled to make up meaning for themselves and others in the absence of a universal, unilateral meaning in order to spare themselves from the negativity surrounding the inevitability of death. Existential nihilism explores both the nature of this invention and the effectiveness of creating meaning for oneself and others, as well as whether the latter is even possible. It has received the most attention out of all forms of nihilism in both the literary and popular worlds of media.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@FLRW
That isn't nihilism - not as represented by ACTUAL NIHILISTS - they are trying to relabel nihilism in order to bring CREDIBILITY to a new concept - see MODERN Liberals versus CLASSIC Liberals - they are almost entirely opposing one another in ideology.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Theweakeredge
That is an extremely BIASED definition there- as we are talking about Bias in a psychological framework
What other framework is there in regards to bias?

Also... .your claim is ENTIRELY false- let's say we accept your definition - saying that "NO HUMAN LIFE MATTERS" is clearly a PREJUDICE AGAINST A GROUP - the HUMAN RACE.
There’s a difference between saying something doesn’t matter and being against something, you knowing this is essential not pedantic.

Recall: That my argument is that NIHILISM CAN ONLY BE ACCOMPLISHED BY THOSE WITHOUT BIAS - therefore - if there is a group that can NOT HAVE BIAS - then they are NIHILISTS
And my argument is you haven’t proven that group is solely mentally ill people.

Finally NO - you are false - your gotchas are only focused on a SINGLE PART OF MY ARGUMENT, not my foundations nor my conclusions - they aren't even SEQUITURS.
Assuming your right that they aren’t sequiturs (which you’re not) then by definition they aren’t “gotchas”.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@FLRW
Yes, existential nihilism is true.
So what’s the distinction between existential nihilism and other forms of nihilism?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Tarik
Your definition was not a psychological one - it was one of interaction or statistics - both of which are separate frameworks. Furthermore, you don't actually rebut my definition - meaning you agree with the definition. And thinking SPECIFICALLY that humans DON'T MATTER is being AGAINST THEM. There is NO DISTINCTION. You haven't actually rebuked my arguments, only said- "well assuming that they're true, which they aren't." You have FAILED to argue against them, especially in this response, you've only responded by arguing against ONE POINT. 

Answer all of the dropped points in your next response or you are going to be ignored. 
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Theweakeredge
And thinking SPECIFICALLY that humans DON'T MATTER is being AGAINST THEM. There is NO DISTINCTION.
Yes there is, if something doesn’t matter to you then you won’t put any energy into caring as opposed to being against something which requires energy to care enough to oppose it, that’s the difference.

Answer all of the dropped points in your next response or you are going to be ignored.
...Like I care, wouldn’t be the first time you’ve ignored my argument (so much for answering all the points) you just have a tendency of reappearing out of nowhere, but save yourself the trouble this time and feel free to not respond.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Tarik
Correct me if I am wrong.

But you are the one promoting objective morality.

And I see you are still promoting, the old nihilism chestnut.....Based upon Tarik's definition, that anyone who doesn't agree with Tarik's take on objective morality, is a nihilist.

Once again, correct me if I am wrong.

So, instead of the same old circular argument........Unequivocally prove, the fundamental basis of Tarik's objective morality.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@zedvictor4
Correct me if I am wrong.
Sure, I’m promoting nihilism.

And I see you are still promoting, the old nihilism chestnut.....Based upon Tarik's definition, that anyone who doesn't agree with Tarik's take on objective morality, is a nihilist.
Why do people always say that? That was never my argument to begin with.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
This conversation will not continue until you answer my questions. 

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Theweakeredge
Believing that human life doesn't matter is A BIAS - and ISN'T NIHILISM. If you think that is Nihilism you don't actually know what your talking about. You are not actually presenting my arguments fairly, you are cherry picking - you have ZERO excuses here bud, so stop making them. 
Well stated.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
You mean like how you answered mine? Oh wait you didn’t, you went ghost for so long that all I can say to that is the same thing I said to Theweakeredge

save yourself the trouble this time and feel free to not respond.
✌🏾
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
This conversation is over until you answer my questions (message repeats)
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
Is it? Is it really? Because I’ll get that message loud and clear once you stop prolonging a conversation with the same repeated message.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
On second thought, I take this as a concession on your part, so I’ll be the bigger person and stop the bleeding, feel free to say that same quote one last time, I already got my concession from you ✌🏾.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
I have been blocked by Tarrik. He made personal insults and ad hominem attacks and never justified his arguments or provided his preferred definitions without later acting as though the definitions he gave were not correct. I have not blocked him. I have never insulted him personally. I hope this is a learning experience for him going forward. If his behavior dies not improve I recommend you do not engage. There is limited utility based on my experiences.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
@-->Tarrik 

Cowards private message the blocked.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Tarik
So what actually is your argument?

I certainly remember you referring to me as a nihilist, for the above reason.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@zedvictor4
So what actually is your argument?
I told you already, I’m promoting nihilism.

I did no such thing.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Tarik
I did no such thing.
Maybe not in this thread, but certainly in a previous discussion.

1. So are you saying that you are a nihilist, and that objective morality has all been a ruse?

2. And are you also saying that you are not always skirting around issues arising from the basis of your ideological conditioning?

For a change, have a go at answering these two questions directly.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@zedvictor4
For what reason?

1. So are you saying that you are a nihilist, and that objective morality has all been a ruse?
No, but I’m arguing in favor as such.

2. And are you also saying that you are not always skirting around issues arising from the basis of your ideological conditioning?
What do you mean by this?

Benjamin
Debates: 79
Benjamin
-->
@secularmerlin
Killing Hitler's armies.

Nevets
Debates: 35
Nevets
-->
@secularmerlin
Under cutting competition in order to put them out of business (even offering services for free) and then putting prices back up again, and even higher than they otherwise would have been once the competition is dead. 
It is something that one does not like doing. Feels extremely sorry for the person he is doing it too. But that is the nature of business and one cannot survive in business without trying to dissuade others from thinking about competing and encouraging them to find a different niche.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Nevets
Ah! The tendency towards monopoly! No I regard that as the fatal flaw in capitalism not a necessity of the human condition.