The journey to the red planet: does humanity need Mars colonisation?

Author: bearnard65 ,

Topic's posts

Posts in total: 8
  • bearnard65
    bearnard65 avatar
    Debates: 0
    Forum posts: 38
    bearnard65 avatar
    bearnard65
    Does humanity actually need Mars colonization? Elon Musk and Space X invest a lot of resources in Starship and Mars colonization. But as most people know the journey to this planet is not a piece of cake and it is rather dangerous for the crew of the spacecraft. Also, they did not figure out how to solve the fuel issue to get to the red planet and bring the crew back. ( Not even mentioning the harsh environment of the red planet. To prepare the crew for it will be very costly to invent special suits or capsules )

• The_Meliorist
    The_Meliorist avatar
    Forum posts: 22
    The_Meliorist avatar
    The_Meliorist
    --> @bearnard65
    we don't need to colonize to mars anymore than we needed to colonize the New World. However, that doesn't mean that there's no benefit of going there.  the creation/expanding of markets, and access to new raw materials are just two of the many benefits that will steam from colonizing the red planet.
  • bearnard65
    bearnard65 avatar
    bearnard65 avatar
    bearnard65
    I support that  idea too. Also, I guess it would be a great idea to explore this planet with uncrewed missions. I mean that we don`t have to send people there.  Exploring Mars with uncrewed missions it`s a cheaper and most important secure way of the exploration of the red planet.
  • Lemming
    Lemming avatar
    Debates: 2
    Forum posts: 465
    Lemming avatar
    Lemming
    --> @bearnard65
    Would it be useful to have planet other than Earth, to use as a launchpoint for numerous rockets and explorations of space?

Less gravity, less cost to launch maybe?
    Maybe better if more rocket launches not taking place on Earth? Rocket emissions impact on the environment I mean.
  • bearnard65
    bearnard65 avatar
    bearnard65 avatar
    bearnard65
    --> @Lemming
    Firstly we need to explore well the red planet. Actually I do support more uncrewed mossion too and. I guess now we can get any information we need with robotic missions. Now our technology is too weak to send humans to Mars and bring them back, putting them under threat of death.
  • zedvictor4
    zedvictor4 avatar
    Debates: 15
    Forum posts: 3,936
    zedvictor4 avatar
    zedvictor4
    --> @The_Meliorist
    The evolutionary necessity of  "Markets".

I don't doubt it.....Though I would suggest that extensive space exploration will eventually require co-operation at some point.

Unless we eventually have to cede such responsibility to a singular, Alternative Intelligence.

Then there are also emerging power struggles to consider.

Do markets and competition, stymie progress or provide necessary checks to progress?
  • bearnard65
    bearnard65 avatar
    bearnard65 avatar
    bearnard65
    --> @zedvictor4
    I agree that we need to extand our horizon of Mars exploration area. But I assume that our technology is too weak to send humans to the red planet. Moreover, we should take into consideration harsh environment ( low temperatur and high radiation ) of Mars and low gravity.
  • zedvictor4
    zedvictor4 avatar
    Debates: 15
    Forum posts: 3,936
    zedvictor4 avatar
    zedvictor4
    --> @bearnard65
    Yep.

We are of Planet Earth, as it were.

Do you think that we will ever be of anywhere else?

Do you think that as humans, we will ever be able to leave this solar system?