Which debate matchups would you guys like/have liked to see?

Author: gugigor

Total: 19
gugigor
Debates: 40
gugigor
there's a lot of interesting debate members that have totally different styles that I feel would have been very interesting to see. Here are my top choices:
- Oromagi vs Whiteflame (he still seems to be postponing his 100th debate...)
- Ragnar vs any of Top 10 (Ragnar still remains unbeaten and has rarely faced a truly competent foe)
- Undefeatable VS TheWeakerEdge rematch (they already did one, but it was way back in Edge's beginning, he seems to have gotten much tougher now)
- Fruit_Inspector Vs Rational Madman (both of them are very versatile and able to beat tricky foes, with both of them scoring a victory against Undefeatable)

If DDO players were here, I'd love to see how the top 10 DART members would fare against LarztheLoser, Roy Latham, Mikal, bluesteel, and thett3. No doubt there would be some noticeable difference in skill.
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
I'll second the Oro vs Whiteflame suggestion.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
oh shit  I guess we'd better get on with that then

I am hoping for a HISTORY topic.
oromagi
oromagi
wylted vs. imabench: FROZEN DEBATE: THBT Elsa and Anna should be burned at the stake
oromagi
oromagi
TheUnderdog vs. Trent0405:GEOPOLITICS DEBATE: RESOLVED:The USFG should invade Canada at once
oromagi
oromagi
RationalMadman vs. MisterChris: POLITICS: This HOUSE would KiLL the FiLiBUSTER
oromagi
oromagi
Ragnar vs. semperfortis:HISTORY:THBT OJ was FRAMED
oromagi
oromagi
crossed vs. coal :MEDICINE: Would you like  to try some turmeric?
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@gugigor
I'm hoping to one day debate Oro on something or another.
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@oromagi
oh shit  I guess we'd better get on with that then

I am hoping for a HISTORY topic.
I'd be down for a history topic. Just need to find a juicy one.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
Pretty sure he and I are both Con to filibustering.
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
-->
@RationalMadman
I'm actually neutral to the issue, and can think of some good CON points as well as PRO ones. If I had a gun to my head, I'd probably rather keep filibustering in place for a few reasons. 
Trent0405
Debates: 33
Trent0405
-->
@oromagi
The USFG should invade Canada at once
Do it, end our suffering.
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
I’m flattered to see my name on the list but also a bit surprised since I reread a few of my DDO debates not too long ago and was not very impressed. I’m confident I could demolish my college aged self in a debate now so a lot of people on this site could certainly do the same. If I were debating today I would have a much more conversational and less technical style and would focus less on trying to trap my opponents with “gotcha” type stuff. Pretty lame. I would like to do a debate again but I don’t think I have the time between work, school, and lots of other hobbies. Plus I would probably only wanna debate stuff I actually care about and I was always way worse at those topics bc I’m not able to objectively assess what’s persuasive to a wide audience rather than what are the arguments that clicked for me in my pretty weird head 

It’s cool that whiteflame is here, that guy is an actual top 10 from ddo for sure, and better than me. I beat him the only time we debated but I feel like the topic was super unbalanced in my favor and if the roles were reversed I would’ve done a lot worse than he did 

But the two best DDO debaters of all time were bluesteel and raisor, who I always wanted to debate. I was always amazed at what they could do. With bluesteel in particular I was amazed at how much he could fit into so few words, he could’ve probably had a handicap where he had half as many characters as his opponent and still beat almost anyone 
gugigor
Debates: 40
gugigor
-->
@thett3
in my opinion it's hard to deduce how good Bluesteel actually is as he lost against Danielle early on and didn't face any one else of high caliber other than Mikal. And Mikal's more of an all rounder guy who's pretty stronk (reminds me of Undefeatable). He won against Roy but Roy for some reason didn't employ 16kadam's top death penalty argument for some reason. So I guess it might've been a situational kind of thing. Raisor seems more consistent overall especially being able to beat Whiteflame as well. 

[I kind of want to see Mikal vs Undefeatable, though the latter might be outclassed if it's a political debate rather than computer science]

Also what do you think of Larz? I still think he deserves the title "beast slayer" as he was able to beat Raisor, Whiteflame, and a bunch of people who look like they're way above his weight class considering his casual conversational style (he devoted like 50,000 characters on one of his debates on Edeb8 just to introduce a ton of information)
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
There are many GOATs depending on your ranking system. Danielle is one of the GOATs as is Whiteflame. Thett3 is also a strong contender.

I would never rank Raisor as a GOAT but Bluesteel could be a contender depending what you look for in a debater. He had his niche(s) and within them, he dominated very well.

RoyLatham is one of the only right wing debaters that I truly admired on DDO. He has that Jordan Peterson combination about him, intellect with cynicism in a strangely enchanting mix.

Oromagi and Ramshutu were nothing much on DDO but they are here. Ragnar is a category just below GOAT imo because he is too reserved with his fights/opponents/situations.

thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
-->
@gugigor
Also what do you think of Larz? I still think he deserves the title "beast slayer" as he was able to beat Raisor, Whiteflame, and a bunch of people who look like they're way above his weight class considering his casual conversational style (he devoted like 50,000 characters on one of his debates on Edeb8 just to introduce a ton of information)
IIRC (it’s been YEARS) sometimes he would swing and miss but when he hit he would knock it put of the park. He wasn’t afraid to take on challenging topics or positions.  There was also one guy, I can’t remember who now, who only won like 60% of the time but pretty much only debated top tier debaters I was always impressed with him too 
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@thett3
Hey! Long time, dude. Glad to see you're still hanging around.

I’m flattered to see my name on the list but also a bit surprised since I reread a few of my DDO debates not too long ago and was not very impressed. I’m confident I could demolish my college aged self in a debate now so a lot of people on this site could certainly do the same. If I were debating today I would have a much more conversational and less technical style and would focus less on trying to trap my opponents with “gotcha” type stuff. Pretty lame. I would like to do a debate again but I don’t think I have the time between work, school, and lots of other hobbies. Plus I would probably only wanna debate stuff I actually care about and I was always way worse at those topics bc I’m not able to objectively assess what’s persuasive to a wide audience rather than what are the arguments that clicked for me in my pretty weird head 
I think we could all look back at our debates from that time and find numerous flaws (I know I cringe looking at many of mine), but I will say that I was almost always impressed by your debates. You had a reputation on DDO that was well-earned, and while some of it was derived from that "gotcha" debating, I think it only worked as well as it did because you knew how to capitalize on mistakes. 

It’s cool that whiteflame is here, that guy is an actual top 10 from ddo for sure, and better than me. I beat him the only time we debated but I feel like the topic was super unbalanced in my favor and if the roles were reversed I would’ve done a lot worse than he did 
I'm flattered! Our debate was one of the very few times I walked away thinking that I definitely lost. Learned a lot from it, though.

But the two best DDO debaters of all time were bluesteel and raisor, who I always wanted to debate. I was always amazed at what they could do. With bluesteel in particular I was amazed at how much he could fit into so few words, he could’ve probably had a handicap where he had half as many characters as his opponent and still beat almost anyone 
Those two were always solid, and bluesteel in particular could scare me with how effective he was. Small wonder he went into law. Never had the courage to challenge him straight up.

IIRC (it’s been YEARS) sometimes he would swing and miss but when he hit he would knock it put of the park. He wasn’t afraid to take on challenging topics or positions.  There was also one guy, I can’t remember who now, who only won like 60% of the time but pretty much only debated top tier debaters I was always impressed with him too 
Yeah, Larz would always push himself. Gotta hand it to the guy. As for who your mystery person is, if I might hazard a guess, maybe https://www.debate.org/F-16_Fighting_Falcon/? Guy had some seriously impressive debates.

whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@gugigor
bluesteel may have had relatively few high caliber debates, but those few showcased a degree of skill that always set him apart. Mikal had his moments, though so many of his debates were meant to buff up his win record. He certainly could challenge the best on the site, but Roy wasn't always at his best, and I don't think that debate was his strongest performance. I do think Mikal (at least at the time he was debating) could defeat Undefeatable, but I don't know how much debating he's done recently. Raisor is solid and he deserved the win against me. Larz also deserves his status, though I disagreed with the decision on our debate. Guy's dedicated.