Is your phone unlocked?

Author: TheDredPriateRoberts

Total: 4
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
Seems I've read somewhere that android phones will soon have to be 'unlocked" meaning you can use the phone with which ever carrier you wish.  My guess is they will figure out a way to keep control over the device if it's on a payment plan, which makes sense.  Though once the phone is paid, it's yours and they shouldn't have any control over it any longer.

9 days later

Buddamoose
Debates: 4
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
My guess is they will figure out a way to keep control over the device if it's on a payment plan, which makes sense

If it's on a payment plan then its already set in stone you owe that money. There's already legal recourse to recoup the expense, don't see why they'd allow such controls just because its under a payment plan. 

Like, just because your house is under a mortgage doesn't mean you cant remodel it. Why would a phone being under a payment plan mean you can't modify it? 

TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
I think if you don't pay or break your contract they block the imei to stop you from using it all together or with a different service provider.  In essence it's a way to repo the phone, sort of.  Far more cost effective and effective that suing in small claims or hiring a collections agency.  I'm sure it's part of the contract you agree to when buying the phone or service.

633 days later

skittlez09
Debates: 1
skittlez09
bump