is the republican party becoming more or less progressive as time goes on?

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 10
n8nrgmi
Debates: 0
n8nrgmi
i think a lot about politics, but never really considered that this issue could be argued either way, i think. 
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@n8nrgmi
Define, "Progressive".  If it means "progressing" from the status quo(I prefer the word "change" because I don't like euphemisms like the word, "Progress"), then most Republicans want to do that on abortion and NAFTA(they want to change that).

Progressive now just means leftist.  The GOP probably will never be the leftist party.  Otherwise, what does it mean to be GOP at that point?
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@TheUnderdog
u just made it way too complicated. it's a simple question, are the republicans becoming more or less liberal with time? 
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@n8nrgmi
Depends on the issue.  On LGBT issues, the right now was where the left was about 10 years ago.  On immigration, the left was where the right was about 20 years ago.  On taxes, what was American tax policy at the height of the cold war would be considered Bernie Sanders left today.  On gun rights, America has gone to the right(more states have constitutional carry now).  On drug legalization, America has gone to the left.  Abortion laws have gotten more strict.  I'd say America is more right wing overall now than it was 30 years ago.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
PROGRESSIVISM is a political philosophy in support of social reform.  Based on the idea of progress in which advancements in science, technology, economic development and social organization are vital to the improvement of the human condition, progressivism became highly significant during the Age of Enlightenment in Europe, out of the belief that Europe was demonstrating that societies could progress in civility from uncivilized conditions to civilization through strengthening the basis of empirical knowledge as the foundation of society.  Progressives take the view that progress is being stifled by vast economic inequality between the rich and the poor; minimally regulated laissez-faire capitalism with monopolistic corporations; and the intense and often violent conflict between those perceived to be privileged and unprivileged, arguing that measures were needed to address these problems.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@n8nrgmi
I would say that Republicans began life as the most progressive political party in 1854 and generally increased in progressive qualities until Teddy Roosevelt split the progressives off from the Republicans in 1912.  Progressives then caucused increasingly  with the Democrats until Franklin Roosevelt sealed the (new) deal.  Good arguments might be made that Eisenhower and/or Nixon were more progressive than Clinton, but the past century has generally demonstrated a marked, steady decline.

We should note that the Republican Party has failed to publish a platform since 2012 and officially refuses to tie itself to any political principle these days beyond the will to rule.  In terms of actual legislation, Republicans have failed to offer any new solution or initiative on any subject since 2012 with the exception of the 2017 Tax Reform which was certainly the least progressive legislation in US history and is now estimated to have cost taxpayers $16 trillion by 2026.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@n8nrgmi
u just made it way too complicated. it's a simple question, are the republicans becoming more or less liberal with time? 
If you take Milton Freidman's definition of liberal (freedom to spend other people's money) then yes, Republicans are becoming more "liberal"
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@n8nrgmi
I don't know, but your question reminds me of this cartoon.
triangle.128k
triangle.128k
-->
@n8nrgmi
Define progressive 
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
more. there just democrats but 10 years behind