Solving Solipsism

Author: Sum1hugme

Total: 52
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@Athias
How is the blueprint for identity an emergent property of evolution?
Evolution prioritises individuals navigating the environment. Identity emerges from that.

What is the blueprint for identity?
It’s the fundamental parts of what makes us human or other animals for that matter.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Reece101
@fauxlaw
I suppose that it could be said, that everything is an emergent property of evolution.

And belief is a deceptive and often a glibly used word.....Belief is based either, upon  an assumption, a lie, or certainty of fact.....Though if it is the latter then it ceases to be a belief.

Nonetheless, one does propose, rather than believe,  that evolution is an emergent property of a GOD principle, and a GOD principle is an emergent property of evolution.

And isms are/ were popular philosophical suffixes.....And achieve interesting intellectual discussion, but very little else.

Ismism if you like.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@zedvictor4
I suppose that it could be said, that everything is an emergent property of evolution.
By emergent I mean it is indirectly caused by evolution. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Reece101
How do you quantify "indirectly".

I would suggest that evolution is development, and it's properties emerge directly, even if causation is random rather than predestined.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@zedvictor4
How do you quantify "indirectly".
It’s an accumulation of traits. 
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@fauxlaw
and it does not take long for the delusional solipsists to go after God, the creation, the universe, etc,
Are you familiar with "Ethica Ordine Geometrico Demonstrata"?
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@3RU7AL
Ethica Ordine Geometrico Demonstrata
The Spinoza volume is in my library. I agree with his concept of human free will, even allowing us to be mistaken in order to maintain that free will.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@fauxlaw
Do you think that perhaps the idea that everything is god might be compatible with solipsism?
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@3RU7AL
Strictly as a comparison of solipsism to the idea that God is everything, I suppose there is that suggestion, but I maintain that God being everything is nothing but a suggestion. I am not God, and have no illusion that I am. Solipsism, being all about illusion but for the self, would confirm that no one, and no thing but God can confirm his existence beyond illusion, according to solipsism. Solipsism, is, then, self-defeating.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@fauxlaw
Strictly as a comparison of solipsism to the idea that God is everything, I suppose there is that suggestion,
Perhaps "your mind" (or should i say, "my mind") is merely a shard (fraction) of the one-true "god mind".

9 days later

Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@Athias
You're applying circular reasoning. Your premise is the same as your conclusion.
  Time and space are things we can know to exist A Priori, as necessary for a mind to even exist and have thoughts in the first place. Therefore, if I have a mind, and I know that I am having thoughts, then I know that I am having thoughts within space and time.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Sum1hugme
Time and space are things we can know to exist A Priori, as necessary for a mind to even exist and have thoughts in the first place.
And your presumptions of that which exist a priori have nothing to do with "what" and "how" you think?  Your mind always comes first no matter how you rationalize it (because the mind is necessary to rationalize.) Independent of one's mind, experience is irrational.

Therefore, if I have a mind, and I know that I am having thoughts, then I know that I am having thoughts within space and time.
And this was all constructed by your mind,

Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Athias
It is implicit in the concept of "mind" that there is a space within which it must exist and time within which it may think. Even if this illusion cannot interact with the real space and time, and my mind is projecting this reality as the grand illusion, that doesn't take away from the fact that there is necessarily a space and time external to my mind, within which it can have thoughts at all. Even if I'm a brain in a vat, that necessitates the space of a vat, and time within which to have the thoughts.
Athias
Athias
-->
@Sum1hugme
It is implicit in the concept of "mind" that there is a space within which it must exist and time within which it may think. Even if this illusion cannot interact with the real space and time, and my mind is projecting this reality as the grand illusion, that doesn't take away from the fact that there is necessarily a space and time external to my mind, within which it can have thoughts at all. Even if I'm a brain in a vat, that necessitates the space of a vat, and time within which to have the thoughts.
You can neither experience nor rationalize your presumption independent of your mind. So what is your premise? A concept constructed by your mind.
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Athias
I don't need to rationalize it independent of my mind, it is necessary for my mind to have thoughts at all. These are things we can know A Priori as necessary preconditions for a mind to exist or have thoughts at all.
Athias
Athias
-->
@Sum1hugme
I don't need to rationalize it independent of my mind, it is necessary for my mind to have thoughts at all.
Yes, you most certainly do. You're are claiming that it exists outside of your mind. That means your premise must demonstrate independence from one's mind to establish existence outside of one's mind. Your presuming existence outside your mind is of your mind, and thereby does not establish a control.

You're once again applying circular reasoning. Your premise is the same as your conclusion (i.e. time exists outside the mind because I presume it necessary for time to exist outside of the mind.)
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
That means your premise must demonstrate independence from one's mind
SOLVE ET COAGULA
Username
Debates: 9
Username
-->
@Athias
"Seem" is not an argument.
Athias
Athias
-->
@Username
"Seem" is not an argument.
Where did I use, "seem"?

Username
Username
-->
@Athias
Where did I use, "seem"?
I'm just reminding you in case you forget. 
Athias
Athias
-->
@Username
I'm just reminding you in case you forget. 
I'm good. Thanks.
Username
Username
-->
@Athias
It was just my attempt at humor since you say that seem is not an argument a lot. 

I'm dissecting the frog, but.... Whatever.