Ask me anything

Author: Benjamin

Total: 33
Benjamin
Debates: 79
Benjamin
I am Benjamin, I live in Norway.

Apart from my illogical logic, strange topics and mallplaced confidence, you don't know a lot about me.

You might already know this, but my debate topics don't always accurately depict my views. Here is your place to ask me about anything.
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@Benjamin
What are you majoring in at your college?

Do you have any debate topics/topic areas you've been eager to try? What do you feel are your strengths and weaknesses as a debater?
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Benjamin
Isn't changing you account to improve leaderboard status a bit disingenuous? Some do that. It is an available method, but you'll think better of it in the long run if you don't. Was Ymir a name-changer? Get there by earning it the hard way: perseverance. Saying this as a supportive friend; not a critic.
Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@fauxlaw
I haven't learned how to debate yet. 
Nevets
Debates: 35
Nevets
-->
@Benjamin
Benjamin wrote...
I am Benjamin, I live in Norway.
Do you agree with me when I say that the Norwegian fjords are of the most spectacular and magical locations in the entire world?
Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@Nevets
I agree that Norwegian fjords are spectacular. However, them being magical is simply a legend. Scientists have yet to confirm the existence of magic in these fjords.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Benjamin
You're doing fine.
Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@fauxlaw
Thanks. 

Were you convinced by my impressive arguments that the earth was flat?
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Benjamin
I was actually very impressed by the lunar eclipse example. If I've encountered that one before, I don't remember. It does not account, however, for the possibility that a flat disk might be positioned perpendicular to the solar system plane. As I was reading the arguments, I thought your opponent might present that possibility by rebuttal, but he was too deep into his resistance of the set-up to bother to make any rebuttal whatsoever. This marks the second debate of his participation in a row on which I've voted that he has side-stepped the root Resolution, and he does not appreciate my criticism of it.

By the way, I commend you on you expertise with English. Your being a native Norwegian, your English prowess is indeed impressive. Well done. I claim French fluency, and that ancestry, but I do, at times err. I am an English native, after all [language, not nationality]. I'm about as American as one can be, with my first ancestor arriving to Boston in 1625. I understand Norwegian, and that by some affinity to German, about every tenth word, or so. And my German is hardly conversational.
Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@whiteflame
I am studying science.

I am eager to try to debate some moral questions. I like religious and scientific debates a lot, but it might get tiresome.

My greatest strength as a debater, I think, is the critique of sources and arguments. I find it easy to pinpoint the underlying assumptions of an argument and attack the foundation of my opponent's case. I think it is actually called Kritik. My greatest weakness is my focus on rebutting everything. I end up "destroying" my opponent's case simply to find out that voters only cared about a few key arguments and their impact. Had I actually made a solid positive case, I might win more often. Instead, I get dragged into a loop of endless critique. I guess anyone with good debating skills could pull out a red herring on me without me even noticing. LOL.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Benjamin
What is your opinion on Globalization Vs Nationalism?
And immigration?
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@Benjamin
I am studying science.
Which one(s)?

I am eager to try to debate some moral questions. I like religious and scientific debates a lot, but it might get tiresome.
Yeah, religious debates have never been for me. I love scientific debates, but they're few and far between (at least, the ones I'm interested in are).

My greatest strength as a debater, I think, is the critique of sources and arguments. I find it easy to pinpoint the underlying assumptions of an argument and attack the foundation of my opponent's case. I think it is actually called Kritik. My greatest weakness is my focus on rebutting everything. I end up "destroying" my opponent's case simply to find out that voters only cared about a few key arguments and their impact. Had I actually made a solid positive case, I might win more often. Instead, I get dragged into a loop of endless critique. I guess anyone with good debating skills could pull out a red herring on me without me even noticing. LOL.
I think you do manage that well. And yes, Kritiks are responses to underlying assumptions, one that's usually highly formalized, but can focus on more than just what the debater is arguing. You can Kritik the implications of a resolution, the world at large, or the contents of the room in which you reside (some of those get super goofy). And yeah, I'm still trying to pull away from line-by-line responses. Still default to them every now and then. Knowing where to put your focus is one of the harder things to learn as a debater, but it's something you pick up with time and effort.

Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@whiteflame
In our class, we mainly study biology, but also chemistry, biochemistry and a few other subjects like radiation.

Line-by-line rebuttals use a lot of space for repeating my opponent's arguments. They also take a lot of space while offering little room for blending arguments into your rebuttals. I also find that they break up the flow of my argument, making it very hard for the readers to follow. This is an unprecedented problem considering these few lines contain the crucial key to debunking your opponent's arguments. The result is that you don't sway voters and YOUR voters have a hard time rewarding you for making important points. 

I have switched to more of a blend. I make paragraphs with rebuttals and have the titles be quotes from my opponent. Like this:

"a is true because c":
This assumes that b is true, which clearly isn't the case given that blah blah blah........
...........paragraph with rebuttals and arguments.

Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@Lemming
All world leaders are aliens anyways, so it really doesn't matter how we structure our world. Nah...just kidding. I support global trade and international cooperation. I do not support a world government in any way whatsoever, apart from a magical version of the UN that would actually work. The current nukes are important for world peace, but I don't think the production of new nukes should be attempted at all.

Immigration is a split topic for me. I know the economic downsides of immigration, and the moral questions associated with those poor countries. In the end, though, I think it would be best if qualified people can study in another country to then return and rebuild their own country once the fire's out. This plan is highly impractical though, so I doubt I have any actual policy suggestion.
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@Benjamin
I know the economic downsides of immigration
How are there economic downsides?  Open borders would double the world's GDP (A world of free movement would be $78 trillion richer | The Economist).
Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@TheUnderdog
I live in Norway. We pay money to shelter refugees from the middle east. This is expensive, and doesn't help the economy. Other types of immigration might be economical.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Benjamin
So then just don't give refugees free housing, but let them come regardless.  Make them earn their houses by getting a job like anyone else.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
@Benjamin
I world peace in which countries respected on another's boundaries would be ideal.
And though much of the first world may be eager for peace, as they were after WW1,
What will occur when 2nd and third world countries reach a greater parity of military might?

"In times of peace, prepare for war." - Machiavelli

It seems to me that the first worlds greatest mistake following WW2, was not following up in expanding their nations again.
Ah but I suppose France tried and failed in Vietnam,
The USSR was a concern,
Britain made the difference of an 'island in the Falklands, but then simply resumed in the decline of their Empire.

But perhaps in my lack of faith in humanity, I became a person none should have faith in.

It's hard for Americans to justify refusing immigrants, staple of an idea that the concept 'is in our nation.
But why apply the concept so thoroughly to countries/cultures/people, established for so long?
Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@TheUnderdog
In Norway, we don't do that. We prefer paying for their housing while letting them or forcing them to do nothing. We also disallow people to work at all until they get accepted as Norwegians, which can take many years. I guess its the fault of our system and not the immigrants or immigration in general.
Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@Lemming
As I said, we have nukes today. We also have extensive trading between all nations. There is NO incentive to start a major war for anybody. Even if it did start, the US has more airpower on the sea than any other nation has in total. It also has even more on land, and they have an extensive navy. Not to mention the technological advantage by always being a few years ahead of its competitors. America IS ready for WW3, no matter how its gonna be fought. 

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Benjamin
I've never been fully convinced of nukes 'reliability as deterrents.

I'm not convinced that we understand how to fight a war between world powers.
I fear results 'worse than WW1, in which technology outstripped our understanding in how to fight wars.
WW1 General Parody of Zapp Brannigan
"You see, machine guns have a preset number of bullets. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them until they reached their limit and ran out of ammo. Lieutenant, show them the medal I won."

Nor is it certain that nukes shall 'remain the ultimate deterrent, See
Strategic Defense Initiative 
That is,
Star Wars Program.

Perhaps I have not enough faith in humans,
But I've read enough history, of other countries and my own, to know that people grow hungry, ambitious that it.
Perhaps as Hitler once spoke of Germany as needing to conquer Russia for "Living Space", So now Russia and China 'both, look West for "Living Space"
The Falklands were a matter of national pride enough for Argentina to risk war with Britain, perhaps Taiwan is a matter of national pride enough for China to risk war.

Russia and China both yet hold heritage in Communism, which once boasted a dream, of The Communist International.
America's entitlement was reason enough to march East to West across America, in name of Manifest destiny.
Throughout 'history have countries expanded and desired more, colonizing other nations weaker than themselves.
Or contending with equals such as between Rome and Carthage, until Carthage was destroyed, burned and salted.

WW1 was started in no small part by treaties, nationalism, and pride.
WW2 allowed to 'be by pacifists shaken by the last war, as they spoke of peace, love, and understanding.

But it's truth I'll say, that I have little to none understanding of military matters, or other countries aspirations, of diplomacy.
Still. . .
I do not share your optimism.

P.S.
Also the third world's 'potential power concerns me.
Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@Lemming
Nukes prevent an all-out war between equals. Small wars backed by superpowers is the worst that could happen. Diplomatic and economic sanctions precede wars, and will often be enough to cripple a nation. You can watch kurzgesagt's video, is war over, if you want to learn more about this topic.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Benjamin
I'll try checking that out.
Are there any philosophers/philosophies/philosophical books/books that you have/had a particular interest in?
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Benjamin
My wife is of Swedish ancestry. Ashamed to admit, I don't know much about either country. Do they have similar industries [I imagine fishing is shared], but what else? Given the long shared border, are you mostly cooperative? I assume so; don't here of much controversy.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@fauxlaw
The bigger rivalry is Sweden vs Denmark, in case you wanted to know what she'd be offended to be compared to.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@RationalMadman
Nope. Her possibility of being offended would be split because there also is, coincidentally, Danish ancestry on Mom's side of her family
Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@fauxlaw
Norwegians and Swedish are good friends. We even understand each other's language for the most part. Ironically enough, the hardest communication achievable in Scandinavia is between Norwegians and Danish. Danish people simply speak in a way that Norwegians simply can't easily decode. 100% open borders make sure we can always take a trip to Sweden. Close to the border Norwegians even go to Sweden just to buy different products at a lower price. With Denmark, I doubt there is much conflict with Sweden. Maybe historians might argue about history, but there is a lack of any conflict I am aware of. Furthermore, we Scandinavians often feel like one entity: Scandinavia. If we travel abroad and meet another Scandinavian we feel a connection that isn't too common between people of two countries.

With regards to the industry, there is some overlap, but not much. Of course, the generic industries are somewhat similar, but the iconic ones differ greatly. Swedish industry like IKEA represents Scandinavian architecture and furniture design. In Norway, the three most well-known industries are oil extraction, fishing and tourism. Norway has a lot of mountains, allowing us to generate electricity from waterfalls and rivers. What I find very strange is that we are building windmills, not because we need them, but because some people and politicians would benefit from building renewables. 

Scandindavian countries, due to their relatively small size and good economies, are some of the richest countries in the world per inhabitant. In fact, Norway has been deemed the best country in the world many times. The welfare system is up and running efficiently and our population is generally speaking in the middle class or above. All in all, I think Scandinavia is truly a paradise on Earth, only paralleled by countries like Switzerland. I guess this is due to our neutrality (or occupation) in war, coupled with a small population in a big country with many resources. I also can't deny that oil made Norway rich, or that our success is only possible due to the efforts of other nations. 
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Benjamin
I am very familiar with Switzerland, having lived there for a few months in Lausanne and briefly in Geneva while I was living in France over a three-year period in my early 20s. It's a beautiful country, and I imagine Norway is very similar. I found the people a little cold to begin with, but I managed to warm up to them quickly. I am very gregarious that way. I was impressed with a retired Egyptian Air Force pilot who retired there to become a crop duster. In the Alps! I asked to fly with him on a crop dusting stint one time. Yikes! Great pilot, and the runs across the crops was fine, but dropping into a run and coming out of one was straight down and straight up, almost stalling at the peak before rolling over to go down again. What a rush! Actually it was terrifying. In active duty in Egypt, he was the commanding officer of a stunt group like our Navy Blue Angels, only his group was 15 aircraft - a big group for what they do. So, his skills were top drawer. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Benjamin
Swedes and Danes are good at extremely similar things and dislike similar things too, this has led to them being inescapable rivals on many levels, even on the right way to say certain words as their languages are very similar

Football, chocolate, furniture (swedes like it simple, Danes like it detailed), pastries, happiness rankings, relations with Norway (Danes envy the relationship Sweden has with Norway) and the reasons for the rivalry go back to Viking times in fact.

The Vikings that founded Sweden had a big distaste for the Danish ones and vice versa.  Scania was meant to remain as one nation.

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Benjamin
In Norway, we don't do that. We prefer paying for their housing while letting them or forcing them to do nothing. We also disallow people to work at all until they get accepted as Norwegians, which can take many years. I guess its the fault of our system and not the immigrants or immigration in general.
I guess this is why people prefer to move to America than Norway.  People want to earn their place in society.  God bless America and the economic and social liberties protected in the constitution.