Jordan Peterson

Author: sadolite

Total: 170
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Swagnarok
Well, new Peterson videos 'are still being released on YouTube.

I haven't looked at any of his stuff for about 4 months though, till I saw this topic again.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@sadolite
Has he actually said this? No, "I" said it. I was very clear. "Woman age like milk and men age like fine wine is what "I" would use to describe his philosophy. 
So, he didn't say it; you were merely communicating your impression of a philosophy which delineates sentiments that are inconsistent with said impression.

"Women are born with inherent value and men are not."  Nature says so. Women are born with the ability to have children.
And with whom do they have children? Other women?

It requires no practice, effort or work.
That is not in the least bit true. I mean the end of gestation is literally called, "going into labor."

Men have to earn value, they are useless until they demonstrate they are not.
Whose value?

Many men remain useless their entire life.
That's a bold statement. Which men are you talking about?

They cant even take care of themselves let alone a wife and kids.
Again, which men are you talking about?

Women control sex and birthing, men control relationships.
I concede that women control birthing as a physiological inevitability. But how do women control sex?

Men by the vast vast vast vast majority seek woman for relationships.
I would presume this is protocol for a heterosexual male.

That means men choose who they will be in a relationship with. The fact a man gets rejected is irrelevant,
Actually, it's not irrelevant. The fact that the other person bears the capacity to reject means that one cannot choose "who they will be in a relationship with."

woman by a vast vast vast majority wait for a man to choose them. 
Lay off the MGTOW videos. They provide neither relief, nor solution; neither reason nor certainty; they only imbue one with a sense of victimhood, which I can only assume will do a number on one's self-esteem.

sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
-->
@Athias
You are tiresome and deliberately live in denial of reality. That's OK though, as you age the harder life will be for you then it will be to late. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 562
RationalMadman
-->
@sadolite
You talk as if all men are bloodthirsty 'alpha males' and all women are timid beta housewives.

It really can't be that simplistic, there has to be more to it, just think of how many people there are and how each is different to the others.

263 days later

Lemming
Lemming

Even though the person who made the video, intended to make fun of Peterson,
I enjoyed it, and think it feels more a tribute than a mocking,
And think Skeletor/Peterson has a point about, legal under the laws of the time.
Ehyeh
Debates: 31
Ehyeh
Jordan Peterson is a decent psychologist. I think he should try to stay away from politics though. His discussion on "female hyper gamy" also create a lot of incels. He's very overrated as an intellectual. He's simply very poetic in his speech and passionate on the things he says.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Ehyeh
Who would you consider a superior intellectual? Just curious.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@sadolite
Who would you consider a superior intellectual? Just curious.
Peterson v. Zizek DEBATE

Ehyeh
Ehyeh
-->
@sadolite
I wouldn't call anyone a superior intellectual to Jordan Peterson. Using the word "intellectual" was a mistake of mine. What I really wanted to express was the word "role model." Men, especially young men, have very limited options for role models, especially good ones. I don't believe Jordan Peterson is a good role model. He's evidently a lost man who has about as much clue to the nature of existence as those who watch him do. I don't think any good role models currently exist, especially for men, but women too.
-
It would be odd for me to call someone "more intelligent" than Peterson, due to the fact that Peterson is going to be better at some things. I think an overall wiser and well-versed intellectual than Peterson would be Sam Harris. Despite the fact that he, too, is oblivious to the meaning of life or anything relevant in the grand scheme of things.
-
What Peterson's viewers fail to realise in his dating/relationship lectures is the fact that he points to a time in ancient history (most of human history) when 5% percent of men impregnated 14 different women in their lifetime on average. That means the majority of men were literally incels. Peterson claims this is female hypergamy but fails to show that women did so willingly or were not coerced into it through forced marriages/trades or rapes by wealthy, powerful men. Peterson also likes to point out female hypergamy in terms of dating apps. What he doesn't realise is that 80% or more of the people on dating apps are men. This is what allows women to be far more picky, at least in large part. Peterson's work is rife with false correlations and faulty conclusions. I could go on, but I just want to give you a glimpse of why he's overrated.

Ehyeh
Ehyeh
-->
@oromagi
There is a lot of truth in what you said, but also a lot of miss-information. especially to do with overpopulation. Developed nations like France, Germany, the UK, America, etc. Actually need higher birth-rates to maintain the economy and elderly population. Overpopulation is only a problem when society cannot provide for its people because it is so large. Examples of this are African nations and East Asian ones. Europe actually needs more people to be born. This is in part why there are more and more immigrants in Europe because there aren't enough young people for the workforce.

You spout a very harmful ideology. When you truly have no idea that developed nations need more people. Its poor nations which need to stop having children.
Ehyeh
Ehyeh
-->
@sadolite
"If you did nothing with your life until the age of 60, you wasted your life. I'd call that being a loser. The fact that you made some money writing a book at age 60 still doesn't change the fact that you wasted the majority of your life. "
-
If we hold true to the axiom that humans should strive for fulfilment, then everything we do should be in search of virtue and fulfilment. I imagine we have radically different perspectives on what makes someone a "good" person or someone who "wasted" their life. I would say a man who spends his life being a slave to outer conditions (materials) has wasted his life. Emotions come from the mind, not a physical possession. This means we can be happy only through fixing our perspective/mindset, not the home itself. You seem like every other man, obsessed with control of life's outer circumstances. Yet every other man holds this view, yet the world is still a shithole. If your philosophy is right, why is it still a shit-place to live?
-
You cause massive harm through your belief that those who are non-competitive are wasting their lives. You help people in their search for money, cars, women. Never satisfied, never virtuous, and always in need for more. You seem like an older gentleman.  Are you truly fulfilled or do you wish for more money? more love? reading Plato's republic could give you some insight into how wrong you are on what to strive for in life. You're never too old. Only the now exists.

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Ehyeh
We agree to disagree on everything
Ehyeh
Ehyeh
-->
@sadolite
I have no problem with you holding what is considered a silly (harmful) belief by stoic philosophers and basically all religions on the planet if you want that. When you project what you think is good for yourself onto others and label them with nasty things like "losers" (creating harm and discrimination), all you're really pointing out is how you would view yourself if you were in their shoes. You recognise you would be a loser if you were in a similar spot to them. Such a philosophy is evidently not a tenable one for a serene mind. It is predicated on fear and escape from discomfort. A constant attempt to reinforce some sense of self-identity you believe you should have. You make yourself suffer.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Ehyeh
Yep I used to be in their shoes and I was a loser. I didn't want to be a loser anymore so I changed my ways to what you call silly.

168 days later

Lemming
Lemming

Well that's interesting,
Though I'm not sure of the implications,
Probably a bit overblown though,
College isn't 'quite the government,
So even if they pulled his license, I assume he could get another elsewhere.

Still annoying though,
Is this about qualification, or him not speaking their ideals?
Well, maybe they find him inflammatory, worry about losing money?

Bah, military or school, one works for someone else,
'Required classes, training, education,
Can't have an online opinion that's disagreeable to your boss.
YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@sadolite
Jordan Peterson is one of the most influential speakers that I know of. 

Some say he teaches "toxic masculinity", and he is somehow a threat to society. 

But if you actually listen to what he is speaking about, you will see that there is some truth to what he is saying.

He teaches that men should be strong, both physically and mentally strong (which I agree with). But he also teaches that while men should have the capacity to protect and hurt others, that they should also be gentle with women, and respectful to them. He teaches men should have the capacity to hurt but shouldn't use that capability whenever they please. 
One of my favorite things that he teaches, is that weak men are more dangerous than strong men. And he's got a good point too.

Strong men will have the mental capacity of self-control, even though they are capable of more damage than a weak man. But a weak man has less self-control than a strong man. That is why most serial killers, and stalkers, and kidnapers are more likely to be overweight, skinnier, and less mentally strong. 

The one thing that differs between him and me, is that he looks at Christianity through a psychological and philosophical point of view, while I look at it through a supernatural point of view. 

But yea. He's a great guy. Definitely recommend him for motivation and knowledge seeking (especially for young men).
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
He teaches that men should be strong, both physically and mentally strong (which I agree with). But he also teaches that while men should have the capacity to protect and hurt others, that they should also be gentle with women, and respectful to them.
You know who should be teaching you this? Your father. Example is a always a better teacher than speech.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
"A harmless man is not good man  but the most dangerous kind of man"  "A good  man is a dangerous man who keeps that shit in check"
YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Athias
You know who should be teaching you this? Your father. Example is a always a better teacher than speech.
My father has taught me these things through actions. Jordan has just said it out loud. My father is a good example of a good man. He is capable of destruction yet is driven by self-controlled. 

AleutianTexan
Debates: 4
AleutianTexan
Writ large, Jordan Peterson seems ok. He has some good self help points, some good takes about freedom, some bad takes on social issues. Without a specific lecture, it's harder for me to know exactly what we're asking here.