Death Penelty

Author: Alec

Total: 11
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
I support the death penalty for more then just murder.  I support it for the following:

-Murder
-Spreading HIV/AIDS willingly 2nd offense.
-Killing someone when drunk driving.

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Alec
Option 3 is the easiest to dispute unless you'd do it for all drunk drivers or rather for drivers drunk to a certain level of alcohol intensity irregardless of them killing.

Option 2 is interesting as there's so much grey area and 'ignorance defence' being impossible there means you'd be killing those who didn't have intent on top of the morality of saying we can determine who can and can't fuck based on what they have or don't have (why don't we ban people with Down's from reproducing and Autism too and a whole series of snowball effects of making such a law come to mind).

Aside from that, your first one must include attempted murder 100% and I never understood why rape and kidnapping cases are considered less severe than murder (they're worse in my eyes unless the murder was gory and/or slow.
Alec
Alec
"I never understood why rape and kidnapping cases are considered less severe than murder "  Because the victims of rape and kidnapping recover to at least some extent long after the event.  You don't recover if your dead.

"Option 2 is interesting as there's so much grey area and 'ignorance defence' being impossible there means you'd be killing those who didn't have intent on top of the morality of saying we can determine who can and can't fuck based on what they have or don't have (why don't we ban people with Down's from reproducing and Autism too and a whole series of snowball effects of making such a law come to mind)."  Eugenics would be great for humanity because it makes the human race better in the long term.  For example, if we applied Eugenics to people who had an IQ below 85, then it would make humanity smarter in the long term.  There is no need to apply Eugenics to people with autism because many autistic people contribute significantly to the world and their genes are worth having around.  Some people who have Asperger's syndrome are(1):

• Abraham Lincoln - American president
  • Albert Einstein - physicist
  • Alexander Graham Bell- inventor of the telephone
  • Alfred Hitchcock - film director, author
  • Benjamin Franklin - American president
  • Bobby Fischer - famous world chess champion
  • Charles Schulz - creator of Charlie Brown
  • Dan Aykroyd - actor and comedian
  • Daryl Hannah - actress
  • Emily Dickinson - American poet
  • Gary Numan - British songwriter and singer
  • George Washington - American president
  • Hans Asperger - pediatrician and person the condition is named after
  • Heather Kuzmich - contestant on America's Next Top Model
  • Henry Ford - maker of the Ford
  • Howard Hughes - billionaire
  • Isaac Newton - English mathematician and physicist
  • James Durbin - American Idol finalist
  • Jane Austen - English author, author of Pride and Prejudice
  • Jerry Newport - mathematical savant and author
  • Jim Henson - creator of the Muppets
  • John Denver - musician
  • Judy Singer - Australian disability rights activist
  • Liane Holliday Wiley - author, professor, advocate
  • Ludwig van Beethoven - composer
  • Marilyn Monroe - actress
  • Mark Twain - author
  • Michelangelo - artist
  • Paddy Considine - actor
  • Satoshi Tajiri - designer and creator of Pokemon
  • Thomas Edison - inventor
  • Thomas Jefferson - American president
  • Tim Ellis - Australian author and magician
If we use Eugenics to autistic personnel, we would stop getting Albert Ensteins and Thomas Jeffersons.  However, this bullet point is about people who spread HIV/AIDS willingly, and without telling the person that they have HIV/AIDS.  If they infect 2 people without their consent, then those people would suffer for a long time and not know why.  They also would die at a very young age because that is how the disease works.  

Now on to the death penalty for killing someone while drunk driving:

The reason why the inconsistency exists is because if someone dies from a drunk driving accident, although it was an accident, it was the drunk driver's fault the accident took place and the event wouldn't have happened if the person decided to be sober or to not drive.  Implementing the death penalty for manslaughter by drunk driving would reduce it's presence within the USA, therefore saving more people in the long term.

409 days later

Alec
Alec
I changed my mind on this.  Wow!  A lot can change in 13 months.
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@Alec
From death penalty to harvesting humans is a rather large shift.

:)
Alec
Alec
-->
@bmdrocks21
It would be a big shift if I went from death penalty to Scandinavian justice, which doesn't even give life imprisonment for murder.  I wouldn't exploit every human, just the murderers, the rapists, and parties responsible for abortion.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Alec
Scandanavian "justice"

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
I believe in the death penalty for mass killers 
Vader
Vader
-->
@Alec
-Killing someone when drunk driving.

These people don't have the intent to kill which is why they shouldn't get the death penalty
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Vader
He said he has changed his mind since then. Agreed, though. I don't know why he would have singled out drink drivers. They are just negligent.
Vader
Vader
-->
@bmdrocks21
Exactly. I think that's his mind change but the death penalty is excessive. My moms co worker drove home drunk and he crashed into someone and got 10yrs. It shows that alcohol controls the body, not the human