For RationalMadman's education, given his apparent youth

Author: fauxlaw

Read-only
Total: 29
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
When telephones first began converting to touch tone from dial tone in the 1970s in the US, via AT&T, there were two added keys to the digits of the touch tone units as opposed to strictly 10 digits on the dial, 0 - 9.  I was an employee at AT&T at the time, while an undergrad.  The two added keys were [*] and {#], called "star" and "pound" by AT&T. The # sign was also in use prior to the 70s as a symbolic abbreviation for lbs [pounds, as in avoirdupois [having weight].  My world did not begin. quite as late as yours. Your generation should ask why, in a world no longer having typewriters, your keyboard entry speed is impaired by the key arrangement, dictated by the need to avoid locking up the  type bars [aka "strikers"]. There is a faster key entry arrangement, but your generation thought it too hard to adapt the keyboard. oooh, poor baby, just as my generation blew it by not adapting to the metric system.
RationalMadman
Debates: 563
RationalMadman
Ok Boomer, now let me educate you.

This is a hashtag: #

This is a pound sign: £

The Pound Sterling is the official name of the United Kingdom, it has been so before any keyboard existed and the symbol meant that from the start.

# used to be referred to as a hash key (not tag) as it would precede ID numbers etc. You and other American boomers using the term 'pound' for it is ridiculous.

The only reason to say poundmetoo instead of hashtagmetoo is to draw a vile and ridiculous pun that insinuates that the sexually harassed were asking to get 'pounded'.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Also this is a callout thread
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
This is a hashtag: #

This is a pound sign: £

nope, # is a pound sign officially, it is only used to begin a hashtag on social media
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Dr.Franklin
No it's known as a hash key/symbol officially.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
The UK's currency symbol has been the pound for like ever
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@RationalMadman

"Pound sign or pound are the most common names used in the United States"

"In the United Kingdom and Ireland, it is generally[27] called a hash (probably from hatch,[28] referring to cross-hatching, although the exact derivation is disputed"

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Dr.Franklin
It lists pound sign last because it's the least correct/relevant and is some colloquialism Americans wrongly attributed to it.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
If you call #metoo poundmetoo and type that to me, I'm not going to entertain it with a dignified response.

Fauxlaw made this thread because he's a misogynistic fucktard who is trying to turn some tables on me.

I am not in the mood for this.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@RationalMadman
i edited the post

"Pound sign or pound are the most common names used in the United States"

"In the United Kingdom and Ireland, it is generally[27] called a hash (probably from hatch,[28] referring to cross-hatching, although the exact derivation is disputed"

Conway
Debates: 0
Conway
-->
@RationalMadman
Americans call it "pound" or the pound sign/symbol.  It's also used to signify "number".  

Hashtag isn't a default reference where I live.  People only say it sarcastically in person. 

Most young people probably don't know what a symbol for British currency means just by looking at it yet.  They're obviously used to trading in dollars.  Canadian coins are similar enough that it's interchanged with American currency.   Just by chance, they might occasionally encounter something from Latin America as well.  

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
@RM

ridiculous pun that insinuates that the sexually harassed were asking to get 'pounded'.
The young actress whose whose name was forgettable and whose antics and charges against Weinstein made her poster girl for poundmetoo by saying, and I quote: "He asked me to take my clothes off, so I did."

Some people just take victimhood to a new level. That one was over the top

Having been in over 30 countries in my boomer days, I know their currencies and symbolic glyphs, bud. Apparently, you were unaware of the other uses of # than the one with which you are familiar. Sorry for the lack of your education, the lack of which is merely the0 matter of a calendar. Have you had your first leap year, yet?
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
Why argue when there's Wikipedia?

The symbol # is known variously in English-speaking regions as the number signhash, or pound sign. The symbol has historically been used for a wide range of purposes including the designation of an ordinal number and as a ligatured abbreviation for pounds avoirdupois – having been derived from the now-rare ℔.

Since 2007, widespread usage of the symbol to introduce metadata tags on social media platforms has led to such tags being known as "hashtags", and from that, the symbol itself is sometimes called a hashtag.

The symbol is distinguished from similar symbols by its combination of level horizontal strokes and right-tilting vertical strokes.
So, most of the difference depends on whether you got your education before or after 2007.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@oromagi
Wiki is just stiki
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@fauxlaw
@oromagi
Wiki is just stiki
Why so picky, tricky Dickie?
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@oromagi
personal choice to consider wiki as inconsiderable.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@fauxlaw
The young actress whose whose name was forgettable and whose antics and charges against Weinstein made her poster girl for poundmetoo by saying, and I quote: "He asked me to take my clothes off, so I did."

Some people just take victimhood to a new level. That one was over the top
When a superior ranking person in a business you badly want to succeed in tries to pressure you to whore yourself out and push past what you're remotely comfortable with, just to avoid stepping on his toes it is indeed exploitation (or her toes, there haven't been enough 'hers' yet though but overall it's toxic masculinity at play here anyway).

You have no clue what it's like because from what I can tell you're just some average looking male who never really had people treat you like an object only useful for your looks to them, who you felt a need to impress and serve despite feeling 0% comfortable with what ensued.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
Where is the Mac Hash Key?
A Public Service Announcement for our hash-less readers.
Trying to locate the # hashtag key on your Mac and can't find it? You have come to the right place. Read on for the simple instructions for using and locating the hash key on an Apple keyboard.    https://machash.com/mac-hash-key/

Judge FLRW finds for the defendant RationalMadman !
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@RationalMadman
The # sign has been called a pound sign in the US since ancient antiquity (1850's or so), and still is to this day. If it is not called that in the UK then just point that out, but according to my research of ancient documents Twitter was not around in the 50's so I don't think the outrage you are displaying at the suggestion that the # symbol has multiple names is necessarily logically justified.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
There is absolutely no interaction you have had with me in the forums where your intent isn't to gaslight or undermine my reasons for feeling frustrated at a situation.

You are the one who has no clue what you're talking about. Fauxlaw suddenly goes around typing 'poundmetoo' as a distasteful joke about why I blocked him earlier in the same day he posted this thread.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
# is a 'hash' in all versions of English. 
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@RationalMadman
There is absolutely no interaction you have had with me in the forums where your intent isn't to
I mean, for the last few months There has been absolutely no interaction I have had with you in the forums at all...
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
@ RM

You have no clue what it's like 
Actually, I do. I grew up in Brentwood, CA. My neighborhood had many people in it across the movie industry. I was acquainted with actors, directors, producers, and many crew personnel. None of this industry is foreign to me. I know first hand what its like for types like her. I watched them fawn over guys like Weinstein. I've been in theater [stage] production since I was a child. I sang at the Hollywood Bowl twice as a member of high school barber shop quartet competitions. Yeah, I'm a guy, but even then, being gay in Holowood was rampant and i was not. I had to tell gays to never touch me or I'd break their arm. By the time I graduated high school, I was 6'3", 185 lbs, blonde and tanned, living 4 miles from the beach. You want to find someone who doesn't know, look in the mirror.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
# is a pound sign when we are talking about rotary phones, in fact if you type “pound sign” on an iPhone, it shows #️⃣.

# is a hash/hashtag when we are talking about social media as well as most other modern uses in the English language.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
As much * was a star, * is now called an asterisk, the same way # is now a hash.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@RationalMadman
There is absolutely no interaction you have had with me in the forums where your intent isn't to gaslight or undermine my reasons for feeling frustrated at a situation.

Gaslight - To manipulate (someone) by psychological means into questioning their own sanity.
I declare before the almighty mods themselves that if any statement in the post in question (post 19) is shown to be factually incorrect in any way I will create a formal apology thread dedicated to you, and if you can convince the mods using logic and facts that I made such statements with malicious intent then I will respond by requesting that they recognize the post in question as harassment and punish me accordingly. If you are unable to find anything actually incorrect about anything I said and it turns out that you are just making things up about me...

Slander - The action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation.
... then how you respond to that is up to you.

You are the one who has no clue what you're talking about. Fauxlaw suddenly goes around typing 'poundmetoo' as a distasteful joke about why I blocked him earlier in the same day he posted this thread.
Non-sequitur. FL being a misogynistic dick has no bearing whatsoever on what the # symbol is called or whether I am guilty of gaslighting and harassment. 

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
@Ratman

The U.K. symbol for pound weight is lb with a dash through it. From the Roman, libre pondo....Though the dash is usually omitted. The American use of the hash symbol to represent pound weight was derived from the original crossed lb symbol.

The symbol for pounds sterling is £.

And the hash symbol or number sign as used in social media, has been referred to as hashtag since about 2007.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
@RM

As Zed and Intel have noted, new uses do not negate old uses. In this case, one original use of #, which may predate your birth, only means that your historic knowledge needs refreshing, as I mentioned a few posts ago; like #1. Give it up, man. Your argument is not as old as you think. At this rate, you would argue that a pair of cans and a string was social media, but I defy you to find the reference. Even in wiki.
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@fauxlaw
Without the targeted user consenting to this thread, the place for this discussion was in whatever thread or threads he said whatever.

Locking this as a callout thread.