What is everyone's investing strategy with cryptocurrency

Author: Wylted

Total: 39
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
read title. I am curious about how you would value a crypto currency to k ow you are getting a fair deal.

Or is the strategy behind investing in them some sort of variation of the greater fool theory?
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
Money will defeat crypto eventually (stop rooting for the chaotic underdog). My strategy is to not invest one cent.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
@RatMan

Words of wisdom.
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
Rm,

I think governments will adopt crypto and about 60% of all the money floating around the United States only exists digitally.
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
1980 --- i think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so, ---most USA listeners only thought of the Japanese car market into USA, that began in 1965 with Japanese transistor radioe's in shirt pockets of so many young USA teenagers---

>> 40 years later  >>>>

2021 --- I think i',m turning crypto crazy, I really think so,   ---digital only means people can loose or gain financially faster than ever before in all of known history of econmics, which such economics are meaningless to survival of humans on Earth and its ecological systems that sustain them-----
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Wylted
Any word such as currency (money) whose prefix is as ominous as crypto, which, etymologically  (Greek) relates to an underground burial conrainer of the dead, or a hidden repository, does not bode well for currency, the which investment ought to be open, above “ground” and increasing in value as an investment. It’s not the money’s fault; it’s stupid use of language and faulty contribution to the lexicon. As a suggestion for investment, it’s not a good start.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@fauxlaw
cryptocurrencies are rarely called crypto... Just saying, that is not the reason to attack it.

It is indeed unreliable and futile but those reasons are due to rapid, completely chaotic inflation and deflation of each cryptocurrency that quite literally can't be estimated or predicted. The only people who make money from crypto in the long run are either lucky bastards who bought and sold at the precise sweet spots (which nobody has any way of knowing) or it's the miners who are involved with goading people in to invest in their particular crypto, mining it on servers for a while and helping the trade while getting guaranteed income (in real money) as a percentage per transaction. 
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
@RM

My argument is the same with such names of things created by  low-level perception that results in the "mouse," a device that had its tail coming from the head, and now has no tail at all. Tech just has a poor reputation for meaningful additions to the lexicon.

7 days later

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Wylted
read title. I am curious about how you would value a crypto currency to k ow you are getting a fair deal.
I think cryptocurrencies world is wild West, but in my opinion, what makes the most sense is to buy something that has a utility and a chance to get adopted by a large number of people or companies. The truth though is that most crypto assets that we have today won't be here in the next 2-3 years so it's a bit tricky, that is why I'd say that people should invest only money that they afford to lose and hope that they are right. At this stage, it's more like gambling, in my opinion.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Crypto is a get rich quick scheme so you put a little money in and when it gets big you sell to make a profit. There's not a lot of longevity IMO

8 days later

MonkeyKing
Debates: 3
MonkeyKing
-->
@Wylted
While I agree crypto is dangerous and currently a volatile investment, it has value for a reason. Looking at currency around the globe, most of the world has based their worth on the USD. This has come to be for a couple reasons but has largely stayed that way because of oil. The Saudi's would only trade oil using USD and everyone needs oil so it became the de facto currency to measure things by. This is great for American government who can now have immense control. Add crypto to the scene. A digital currency that defies regulation and governmental control, who's value is not tied directly to USD. We also now look at the near future, with the Chinese now having made a deal to trade in Chinese Yen for oil instead of USD, suddenly American control of world economics loosens and we need something else to use universally that we can all measure by. Will it be Yen? Who knows. Maybe USD will continue for many years to come. But. Crypto has the unique position to allow the world to trade in something that is literally only given value by its mere use and existence. Which I suppose is how currency mostly runs these days anyway but crypto just takes it a step further. While it isn't a sure thing, I would consider it unwise to so easily set aside something that has seen such regular and massive growth year after year after year. If it was a "get rich quick" scheme, I'd imagine it would've looked like doge or gme. A temporary explosion followed by people getting their money and leaving or getting stuck holding the bag because you bought for the hype. Bitcoin, ETH, even Litecoin have been growing steadily for nigh on a decade. I wouldn't sneeze so easily at it. The serious strategy behind crypto is to enhance world banking and business contracting at which it has already shown itself successful. Personally if you wanted to invest in crypto, I would be cautious and study on the current state of the crypto you want to buy. I am a big believer in ETH, have been for years. I think it's bitcoin on crack and is going to overtake it within the next 5-10 years, but that is my opinion. Another incredible part about crypto is the market hours for it. Within the time the stock market has had a full week, the crypto market has had almost triple that amount of time to be open on the market in the same week. Its market never closes. Which means that a decade of having an investment in the stock market is going move 3x slower than if it were crypto. It is a great part of why it is dangerous, as you can have huge movement while you're dead asleep and also why it's powerful and can make people tons of money. But hey. Just my 2cents.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Wylted
I think the best long term investments are in clean air and clean fresh water.  Non-toxic food, comes in a close third.
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
I don't invest in crypto currency and I discourage others from doing so.  That being said, I think stores should accept crypto currency and if they distrust crypto currency, they convert it to dollars.

18 days later

Mesmer
Mesmer
-->
@ebuc
I think the best long term investments are in clean air and clean fresh water.  Non-toxic food, comes in a close third.
This is such a bad faith interpretation of the OP's question lol. He's clearly talking about individuals investing.

Go and virtue-signal somewhere else, dickhead.

949havoc
Debates: 7
949havoc
When we can actually demonstrate value to cryptorealestate - what is that since cyberspace is already taken? -  I might treat it as a penny stock. Until then, I stick with real, not cryptoproperty.

230 days later

TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@Wylted
Crypto currencies are very much up in the air on if they will last or not and so I am not confident in them. I am also a bit lazy and so tend to not look at the market as in depth as many others. I found that investing in stocks related to alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, etc. tend to be safe bets as people, even in though times, don't want to give these up (and even will increase consumption in tough times).
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@TheMorningsStar
Oh they'll last. Their harder to steal than gold. The more governments overplay financial manipulation the stronger crypto will be. It's a one way ratchet as long as opposing governments compete.

I wouldn't look at it like an investment, more like an inflation defense.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
I'm far from sure that there is any real  benefit to be gained, by challenging an established system with basically the same system, wherein both systems are based upon the same principles.

Ultimately cryptocurrency is just the same, relative to the same.

So if you wished to buy land or property from me, I would set a price that would have to be met in Pounds Sterling.....Therefore you would need to possess crypto of a comparative value, and an institution or system that would be prepared to convert crypto to Pounds Sterling.....Or vice versa.

Though one would suggest that eventually all currency will be crypto in nature anyway.....Call it what you will.

Nonetheless, in terms of investment give me a  tangible commodity, rather than a digital assumption.

And interestingly, when researching this subject one found that crypto wealth was eventually always measured in dollars.

So unless one can invent a technology whereby wealth can be created from nothing........But then, how would such an egalitarian system function?....Robots perhaps......But what would motivate people?......Boredom perhaps.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@zedvictor4
I'm far from sure that there is any real  benefit to be gained, by challenging an established system with basically the same system, wherein both systems are based upon the same principles.
You either deeply misunderstand national "reserve" banking, or you deeply misunderstand crypto.

So if you wished to buy land or property from me, I would set a price that would have to be met in Pounds Sterling.....Therefore you would need to possess crypto of a comparative value, and an institution or system that would be prepared to convert crypto to Pounds Sterling.....Or vice versa.
You may want pounds now but if a pound is worth half as much as it was last year you won't keep wealth in pounds. Then you'll want to store it somewhere stable. You can try to choose other land, try to use gold, silver, diamonds, etc... but nothing will be as easy to buy and immune from theft as crypto.

Once you keep your money in crypto and the land buyer keeps their money in crypto, why convert to pounds?

So unless one can invent a technology whereby wealth can be created from nothing........But then, how would such an egalitarian system function?....Robots perhaps......But what would motivate people?......Boredom perhaps.
That has absolutely nothing to do with it. Currency is a medium of trade, it need have no intrinsic value; it need only be secure and stable.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Why convert.
Exactly my point really.

Currency is currency.

Though I think that you underestimate the social power of money.

Doesn't make any difference what the dominant  currency is....... Crypto or Dollars.

You've either got it or not.

And it's not going to appear in ones account  from nowhere.

And for sure, real value is in commodity.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@zedvictor4
Doesn't make any difference what the dominant  currency is....... Crypto or Dollars.

You've either got it or not.
It makes an enormous difference. Dollars can be stolen by a flick of a government bureaucrat's wrist. Crypto requires that you personally be extorted or defrauded.

I for one am very hopeful that an enormous reduction in the level of theft could lead to a significant increase in prosperity.

And it's not going to appear in ones account  from nowhere.
Ironically pounds and dollars do just that.

Wealth doesn't appear out of nowhere and it never will, but when people can steal instead of produce the overall production is reduced.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Overall production of what by whom?.....Have you plucked this idea out of a Marxist textbook.

And who currently steals what?

You seem to have an odd jaundiced idea of current society and it's machinations.....Assuming that a different currency system will somehow alter human behaviour and society  for the better.

The hierarchy of ability and consequent wealth disparity, is what get's things done....How do you think that this will be different?

You will just end up with different but the same, or the same but different.......With social infrastructure to pay for and bureaucratic administrators administrating, and you in prison if you refuse to pay your taxes.....Or you imprisoning others if they refuse to pay their taxes.

The reality was, that Marx was a hypocrite and communism was an unworkable pipedream.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@zedvictor4
Overall production of what by whom?
Goods and services, by humanity or segment of humanity.

And who currently steals what?
Gangs of all sizes steal wealth. The largest class of thieves are governments, and the worst offenders among governments are governments with rapidly inflating fiat currency.

You seem to have an odd jaundiced idea of current society and it's machinations.....Assuming that a different currency system will somehow alter human behaviour and society  for the better.
It's not an assumption it's a prediction based on easily demonstrated dynamics.

The hierarchy of ability and consequent wealth disparity, is what get's things done....How do you think that this will be different?
Wealth disparity is a consequence not a cause of divergent ability/drive. I already told you what would be different: stealing is parasitic behavior and a system which has relatively less stealing is a system where less production is wasted.

One may call the trades of wandering nomads "capitalism", but the fact is that the overall prosperity of a wandering nomadic society is highly depressed when a significant portion of them are brigands and raiders. Sending the cavalry after such parasites does not produce wealth, but it does prevent wealth from being wasted by people who do not appreciate what it costs and do not produce anything themselves.

That's what cryptocurrency could be, a self-enforcing law staving off a class of thievery. I never suggested a single blade of wheat would be grown because of cryptocurrency. Many will be saved for the people who deserve them, and thereby others will be encouraged to produce rather than steal.

You will just end up with different but the same, or the same but different.......With social infrastructure to pay for and bureaucratic administrators administrating, and you in prison if you refuse to pay your taxes.....Or you imprisoning others if they refuse to pay their taxes.
That is one phase, that phase could be transcended by privacy coins. Even with just BTC inflation-theft is eliminated.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Sorry but your crypto-utopia is basically electronic Marxist hypocrisy, that just doesn't take into account inherent human behaviour and predictability.

Inherent inequality will exist whatever the currency.

So before you can successfully change the system, you will firstly need to change the human.

But who will do what for less in an equal system anyway.

And Brigands, Raiders, Nomads, Thieves, Cavalry and Parasites.......You've been watching far to many fantasy videos.

I can assure you that real life is nothing like that.....Well it certainly isn't where I come from.

You earn your money, pay your dues and hopefully lead a reasonably healthy and contented life.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@zedvictor4
Sorry but your crypto-utopia is basically electronic Marxist hypocrisy, that just doesn't take into account inherent human behaviour and predictability.
Sorry but you're beating a strawman. If it wasn't straw you would have some implication or claim of mine to reference. Observe:

Inherent inequality will exist whatever the currency.
I never said anything about wealth inequality.

So before you can successfully change the system, you will firstly need to change the human.
Has human nature changed from 1000 AD? No. Have systems? Yes. QED

And Brigands, Raiders, Nomads, Thieves, Cavalry and Parasites.......You've been watching far to many fantasy videos.

I can assure you that real life is nothing like that.....Well it certainly isn't where I come from.
Yes it is, but because you are from there and have not considered these matters with a commitment to perfect objectivity you are not consciously aware of the parallels.

You earn your money, pay your dues and hopefully lead a reasonably healthy and contented life.
You owe me £235,323,3424, now pay your due and hopefully you can lead a reasonable healthy and contended life.

Too much? How about £235, you could probably afford that.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
I never said anything about wealth inequality. Though this will occur as a consequence of inherent inequality.

And no, inherent behaviour hasn't changed (as I stated).....Therefore society may have modified relative to social and technological development, but the social system has nonetheless stayed the same.....As I also stated, change the human, then change the system.

And what sort of anarchic dystopia do you live in?....And how will a new currency variant make any difference?

And objectivity is either perfect or not.....Though I do not accept the concept of objectivity....All internal data processing is unavoidably subjective, irrespective of the veracity of anything that may be  output as a consequence.

And I do not see the relevance of your final comments.....I have a niche within a system, a niche that costs me X to maintain.....Why would I give you anything, when you do not provide me with anything.

And look around and also look in the history books, where you will see that all attempts at pseudo Marxist utopian societies, all became an alternative nightmare for someone........Slaves will never be paid the same as Lords.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@zedvictor4
Though I do not accept the concept of objectivity.
That explains a lot. You can't succeed if you don't try and you won't try if you don't accept the concept.

Why would I give you anything, when you do not provide me with anything.
That was the point. It's not as simple as "pay your dues", some dues (duties) are unjust.

And look around and also look in the history books
I'm sure I'm in the 95th percentile of historical awareness.

where you will see that all attempts at pseudo Marxist utopian societies
That strawman is smelly, drop it already.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
When the other persons argument is reduced to shouting "Strawman".

That's the time to give up.
sadolite
sadolite
When the fed cant pump money into the stock market to create fake wealth anymore, no form of currency will have value especially one that had none in the beginning. Crypto currency is a Ponzi scheme. It relies on a constant influx of new investors to give it any worth. Otherwise it's just a concept with no hard intrinsic value. You cant buy or trade  shit with it when the shit hits the fan. It can also be erased with the push of a button.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
Nowadays with the push towards sustainability and the reduction of dependency upon artificial fertilizers within the agricultural/horticultural sectors.

Shit is big business.

Though erasing shit?........Blankets and all that.