why do people need an AR15?

Author: linate

Total: 44
linate
Debates: 0
linate
doesn't the disadvantages outweigh the advantages in keeping them legal? 

where are the examples of where an AR15 was needed over a regular gun when it come to self defense? i dont think i've ever heard even a single instance. 

all the time you hear of mass shooters going on rampages with them. killers blow holes in their victims that ensure nothing can be done with them, given how the bullets blow large holes and inflict much damage. 

i've heard it both ways on whether the assault weopons ban was effective or not. i think most people say it wasn't effective but i also see that if you do the math yourself, it looks like people are more likely to use an AR15 in a murder than a regular gun. that's looking at how many deaths are caused by ar15s and looking at the total number of those guns out there. 

Plisken
Plisken
Evidently there must be some reason people find keeping a legal AR-15 rifle advantageous as it is so popular, but that is more a tech or societal topic I think unless the reason has to do with the government.
Plisken
Plisken
I suppose there are financial incentives at play in general when the government impacts the markets.

FaustianJustice
FaustianJustice
-->
@linate

No, it doesn't.

where are the examples of where an AR15 was needed over a regular gun when it come to self defense? i dont think i've ever heard even a single instance. 
The Hollywood Heist, the Sutherland Springs incident.

killers blow holes in their victims that ensure nothing can be done with them, given how the bullets blow large holes and inflict much damage. 
The bullet fired is a .223, the damage it does in close ranges is comparable to a handgun.  https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/03/ryan-finn/sheetrock-penetration-testing-take-1/   Here is a collection of typical patterns from weapons firing through sheet rock.  The 9mm (a popular handgun) is indeterminable from a .223 (the AR style platform).

"but i also see that if you do the math yourself, it looks like people are more likely to use an AR15 in a murder than a regular gun"

Define "regular gun".    A gun is intended to fire a projectile, and ultimately kill/neutralize its target.  The AR15 is an efficient tool to that end.  In addition to murder, its also a popular platform for sport hunters, given it offers good accuracy and stopping power at mid range hunting distances against specific game.

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@linate
It's just a delivery system for a bullet. All bullets are pretty standard; as they are mostly limited to how much recoil a shooter can handle and shoot accurately.

Fully automatic weapons are really inaccurate, which is why most AR-15's are semi-auto.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@linate
Watch what this guy can do with an 8 shot revolver.

Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
AR15s provide protection against multiple criminals better then a pistol does.

They also defend against a potentially tyrannical government.  Many people believe the government would never become corrupt in our lifetimes.  But they are often the same people who say Donald Trump is a corrupt president.  It is kindof inconsistent.

disgusted
disgusted
All assault weapons have only one reason for their existence, killing humans.
Good luck in numptyville.

Lets kill more school kids. YAY HOORAH.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
More abortions? Wow. Do you guys ever get tired of killing kids?
Username
Debates: 9
Username
There's no reason to have them, but banning them would be ineffective and costly. 
Mopac
Mopac
Avant-garde sculpturing techniques.

It's for art.

Aporia
Debates: 2
Aporia
Status anxiety
warren42
Debates: 2
warren42
Relatively unwarranted paranoia that the government is coming to get you

Not taking a jab at such folks, I'm one of them (though I don't own any firearms currently)
Plisken
Plisken
-->
@warren42
You go to war with the can opener you have
Plisken
Plisken
I've spoken with three people on why they own an AR.  One guy, a hobbiest and hunter, built his and the platform and market suppprt was just nice to work with, and he liked the caliber, thought it was reliable.  He would occasionally use it for varminting, which the typical .223 is suitible for with a nice flat trajectory.  One guy was generally well off, had a small collection and looked into  the black rifles as he is patriotic and saw advertisements posted by the Obama administration, and ended up liking the AR-15, so he just bought one almost on a whim and plinks with it regularly.  And a woman liked the way hers fit and just thought it was awesome, loves practicing with it semi-competitively.  She is recoil sensitive because of a shoulder injury, and smaller than a typical shooter.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@linate
you can now (thanks to Trump) get an ar for under $400, there's much less demand for them compared to when Obama sold guns.  The cost per round, again has dropped to around 28 cents per round, about the same cost as a 9mm.  Lots of after market parts and taticacool stuff you can put on them.  Very easy to take apart and clean or replace parts, after market parts etc.  They are easy to shoot, shoot far, flat and straight.

what's a regular gun?  deer hunting rifle like a 30-06?  12 g shot gun with slug barrel?

after watching and reading much, my current opinion is any round 380 or larger is effective, the smaller calibers have reliability issues, but most people even when shot with a .22 will be stopped,  Ronald Reagan was shot with a .22 if I remember correctly.

as far as people shooting other people, the % is very small according to fbi stats, handguns are the preferred weapon of choice.

there's also a .223 caliber pistol, same round as ar-15 but classified as a pistol, but that must be really difficult to shoot I would think.

look up some ballistics comparison of an ar-15 vs ar-10 

is the ruger mini-14 a "regular gun"?

While I don't know if it's true.  When the .223/5.56 nato round came out the "theory" was that you wanted to take a soldier out of the fight but not kill him, because for every one you take out, it takes 2 or more to take care of him.  Basically taking at least 3 out of the fight instead of just 1 by killing him.  The majority of other countries use the ak 47 essentially a .308, much bigger round that kills more often than wounds.  I can see this argument if you look at the ballistic comparison, but again even a .22 will kill so....

EGADS!  I hope the dems take over so the gun manufacturers can start making profits again, sheesh, no demand for this stuff anymore wtf?

Plisken
Plisken
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Sir, to your point, why can't they just place more burdensome controls as they are able to get support until they reach the .380?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Plisken
my guess is the pesky constitution which prohibits that very behavior by the government to thwart the rights contained in it, otherwise the constitution would be totally meaningless/powerless, right?
FaustianJustice
FaustianJustice
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
The KelTec PLR 16 is a pistol chambered .223.  It needs an undermount accessory for stability if anything after the first round actually needs to hit.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@FaustianJustice
I've never tried to shoot one, but was showing the lack of understanding about guns many show.  They would demonize the ar-15 when there are many variants and alternatives in .223 and 5.56 which again most won't even know the similarities and differences.  As you know, all rifles rated for 5.56 can shoot .223 but a rifle chambers/rated for .223 only shouldn't shoot 5.56.  My bet would be most of those who make the anti argument won't have any idea of what I'm talking about.  What I find is, it's the same people making the same arguments from the same position of ignorance.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@warren42
They only come to get you if you have an AR-15
Mopac
Mopac
If some redneck wants to drive around in a tank on their big old farm, and they can afford to buy a tank, why not? Ain't this America?

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@linate

Since 2% of all gun homicides is done with "any" rifle... what are you talking about? The advantages vastly outweigh the disadvantages. 

In the LA riots, guess which businesses didn't get destroyed? A little place in Asian town where a lot of the owners were standing there ground with rifles. Other than that, just youtube it man... or Google it... come on. We live in the technology age... you can easily debunk yourself. 

all the time you hear of mass shooters going on rampages with them. killers blow holes in their victims that ensure nothing can be done with them, given how the bullets blow large holes and inflict much damage. 
And a shotgun, in most of these instances... would do a lot more damage. But i wonder why they use rifles? Is it bc they study what the media says is the most deadly? Is it bc it is readily available? Etc. These shooters, if they knew what they are doing, would get a hunting rifle that uses a 308 and rip through people. Here, look at this chart: 

Which ammo do you think is used in an AR? .223 buddy. Look at the difference bw that bullet and the right of the chart which are common hunting rifle rounds. 

i've heard it both ways on whether the assault weopons ban was effective or not. i think most people say it wasn't effective but i also see that if you do the math yourself, it looks like people are more likely to use an AR15 in a murder than a regular gun. that's looking at how many deaths are caused by ar15s and looking at the total number of those guns out there. 
I think you feel the way you do bc of media indoctrination and ignorance of firearms. Why don't you research it unbiased and make up your mind after you have been informed from the people saying the opposite of what you believe. There is a reason i am centrist, and gun issues are one big one i think Dems are completely wrong in. The only way you can effect gun deaths/mass shootings, besides the billions of gun laws we already have, is a full ban... that is the goal and i spit on these people bc they spit on the millions that have died for our rights... and do so with proud ignorance.   
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Mopac

linate
linate
-->
@Outplayz

here are the facts when it comes to gun science 

i think an AR might be better if you have many people coming at you, given you don't have to be as accurate and are more likely to kill them if you hit them. i dont see the advantages outweighing the disadvantages though, cause using a rifle in self defense like that is very rare compared to the times people go on a murderous rampage with them. 

Plisken
Plisken
-->
@linate
How is buying a legal AR-15 is supposed to increase your chance of experiencing a murderous rampage?  I think maybe there should be a warning label or required consent so consumers know what they are getting into.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Plisken
How does NOT buying an ar-15 prevent a murderous rampage?
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@linate
Dude that link is riddled with misinformation and manipulation of stats... wow man, you have really been indoctrinated into this haven't you. "Women are 5 times more likely to get shot" ... i wonder why they say 5 "times" and not give the percentage... don't you wonder? Maybe bc the percentage comes out to .000016% chance... oh, but that doesn't look scary. 5 times looks scarier. Here let's put it another way... if you don't own a knife you have 0 times chance of cutting yourself. If you own a knife you are 1000000 times more likely to cut yourself. Until you can wake up and see the rest of that link is riddled with ridiculous information... you will stay willfully ignorant. 

Everything you are saying is so ignorant of firearms. "It's better if many people are coming at you" NO. It's better all around. Have you ever shot a gun before in your life? A rifle, at least for me, is the best self defense weapon i have and will always be my go to. Why? Bc in high stress situations your hand shakes... as hard as a hand gun is to shot already, under this stress it's harder. You don't run into that with rifles, for me. So, i... and many i know, would rather use a rifle for self defense. And the fact that making them illegal won't even make a dent in gun crimes... i wonder what your agenda is. 

But you have started to already regurgitate ignorant talking points... so i wonder if you will ever come out of your willful ignorance. I gave you a list of contentions in my previous post and you aren't even trying to answer them... bc you can't. 

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Outplayz
I expect copy and paste from ddo.org soon, there's really nothing new on the gun issue, it's a constant rehash of the same stuff, hottest time was during Obama, health care is his other hot topic :)

for all the hot air and pandering, little to nothing has been done for mental health, appropriate punishment and enforcement for things relating to this issue.  they've tried nothing and they are all out of ideas.

so if you are anti gun, vote Republican

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
so if you are anti gun, vote Republican
I normally vote either or - who i find most qualified... but if it is bw Dem and Rep and the Dem is campaigning on "tougher gun laws" ... i immediately don't trust said person and vote Rep. Guns are a losing issue in my opinion. I believe we already have common sense laws and all we should do is strengthen them and focus on some non-gun issue policies such as punishment and mental health.