The psychology of atheism

Author: keithprosser

Total: 49
keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
Imagine a vast, clockwork machine.   It has millions of finely detailed cogs and levers pulling and pushing on each other.   I want you to imagine it is as beautiful and complicated as you can.

If we watch the machine we see the cogs turning and the levers pushing, but it doesn't have any purpose.   It runs and ticks, the wheels and cogs spin and turn and the levers push and pull in complicated ways but all without purpose.  It will continue to tick pointlessly until the day it breaks and stops forever, having done nothing except spin its cogs and push its levers.   As far as we can tell the machine came from nowhere and having done so ticks in futile purposelessness to an end, all for nothing.

That is only an initial at a metaphor of the universe - no doubt it can be criticised and improved!  The point it that I can imagine there are people who can and cannot accept it as a metaphor of the universe.    If you can then you are probably an atheist - I suggest typical theists cannot accept that the universe is a pointless mechanism that runs for no reason with no purpose, no meaning nor goal to it.

janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@keithprosser
Even though I'm not an atheist, there still may be no ultimate meaning to this existence. Although that though may just be a holdover from my atheist days. 
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
No reason, purpose, or goal?

What is so hard about accepting that it is here to do what it does?

Mopac
Mopac
Psychology of atheists

It's all about me.

Whatbdoes that mean?

Arbitrary personal aesthetics.

janesix
janesix
-->
@Mopac
Atheists are no different from anyone else. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@keithprosser
As far as we can tell the machine came from nowhere and having done so ticks in futile purposelessness to an end, all for nothing.

We means who exactly? you mean Keith? because meanwhile the majority of the world has come to the obvious conclusion that we know where it comes from and what the purpose is. Keep in mind, a purpose is a purpose and it doesn't matter the purpose of the purpose lol. A purpose could be anything from a desire to a mega plan. Either way, your comment applies to you only because many have witnessed what is really going on here. So make sure you know it is you who knows nothing and has no purpose.

That is only an initial at a metaphor of the universe - no doubt it can be criticised and improved!  The point it that I can imagine there are people who can and cannot accept it as a metaphor of the universe.    If you can then you are probably an atheist - I suggest typical theists cannot accept that the universe is a pointless mechanism that runs for no reason with no purpose, no meaning nor goal to it.

So you would rather we pretend accept that we believe what you're saying? we aren't the ones in a state of denial because that would depend upon what is actually true and what actually is the case. if you know nothing as you claim, have no purpose in life so you say...why should we accept ignorance? perhaps you should step into the simplistic, glorious light of true undistorted awareness? the psychology of atheism doesn't have to exist, the atheist creates it all himself, then holds onto it, then claims it's others that are in denial and won't accept things.....

janesix
janesix
-->
@EtrnlVw
The majority of the world knows what the purpose is? Are you sure about that?

What is this purpose that everyone knows?
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@EtrnlVw
It strikes me you don't go for my metaphor!  The OP was about the metaphor may be more acceptable to atheists than theists so I think you helping to make my point!

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@janesix
You live that purpose everyday. I would assume that those who have accepted a Creator also have accepted there is a purpose in creating things. Again, that purpose can be any purpose. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Mopac
I get it, but again, it doesn't have to exist. You make it exist. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@keithprosser
The OP was about the metaphor may be more acceptable to atheists than theists

Of course it's more acceptable to atheists because they hold a materialistic worldview, which means there really should be no reason we are here...I also don't accept it because you're believing things that are not the case. What reason do you really have to hold onto atheist psychology? 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@janesix
Atheists are not any different than anyone else, you are correct.

But atheism as a position is a denial of The Truth.

So arbitrariness is built into atheist philosophy.

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@Mopac
But atheism as a position is a denial of The Truth.
With you who plays word games, "The Truth" is your own personal set of religious beliefs.

janesix
janesix
-->
@Mopac
Atheism isn't denial. It is simply lack of belief.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@janesix
Sometimes you annoy me because you mix excellent and intelligent insights such as the above post with some really off-the-wall left-field stuff!   I'm glad at least you understand atheism!

I don't deny god or hate god or fight god - Its just that I don't think there are any such thing as gods.  I know a lot of people do believe gods exist (or 'God' exists) but i don't.

janesix
janesix
-->
@keithprosser
Try living my life for a few weeks, and you would understand the off the wall stuff. I would have thought the stuff I say is off the wall a decade ago. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
The Truth is God.

Don't listen to goldtop, he doesn't know what he is talking about. Imean exactly what I am saying. The Truth.

The Supreme and Ultimate Reality.

That is what God means.

And I think that anyone who understands what that means and is honest can know with a certainty that God must exist, and that there isn't another option.

My position is that atheists don't understand what God means so their rejection or lack of belief comes from an ignorance of the concept itself.

Well, here is your good news for today if you choose to accept it.

The Truth is God, and to love God is to love The Truth.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@janesix
Denial of The Truth or lack of belief in the existence of The Truth.

Either way, it is a position that comes from

Ignorance of the identity of God(The Truth).

Attachment to lying vanities and idolatry.

Aversion to that which exposes the lying vanities and idolatry.

Those who put their trust in these lying vanities forsake their own mercy. Salvation is of God.

janesix
janesix
-->
@Mopac
I was an atheist for 37 years, i can assure you you are way off base. I simply had no reason to believe. I didn't even think about it.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@janesix
You have no good reason to not believe The Truth.
janesix
janesix
-->
@Mopac
NOW I have reason. Before, none. 

What are your "good reasons" to believe in God, from an atheist's point of view?
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@janesix
Try living my life for a few weeks, and you would understand the off the wall stuff. I would have thought the stuff I say is off the wall a decade ago. 
No thanks...Living my life is hard enough as it is, J!

janesix
janesix
-->
@keithprosser
Well I won't trade with you, mine's just weird, not hard

lol
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@janesix
So you don't believe in The Truth?
janesix
janesix
-->
@Mopac
I believe in God. I don't know what the Truth is, whatever that means.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@janesix
From an atheist point of view there is no good reason for anything, because atheism is fundamentally an unreasonable position.

The atheist doesn't believe in The Truth.

If they don't believe in The Truth because it is what it is, they deserve to suffer in their delusions.

But if they want to escape that suffering, they ought to believe The Truth.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Mopac
You keep repeating this because you have accepted God as truth, and ultimate reality. Atheists don't deny truth per say, because they have not accepted the existence of God, so truth to them exists independent of God. In other words truth doesn't have to exist because God exists, there can be truth independent of God. I am perplexed you haven't figured this out, or why you keep repeating it. I'm not denying what you are saying, because I have accepted the Creator exists and therefore it is obvious to me....that ultimate reality and ultimate truth exist within God, or is God. The atheist has no reason to accept truth as being God unless you come up with a reason for them to do so other than saying it. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@EtrnlVw
That is what God is, and that is how the concept is understood in theology.

The reason I can't compromise on this is because any type of compromise on this literally undermines all of theology.

No, The Ultimate Reality is what God means. It doesn't exist in God, because that doesn't make sense, and God doesn't exist in it because then there would be an existence greater than God.

And what I am asserting here is Orthodox Theology. It is correct and true.

All atheiist arguments against God are contingent on making God something else. That is why compromise only serves to aide in reinforcing the atheists superstitions.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Mopac
That is what God is, and that is how the concept is understood in theology.

I understand that completely...But, and I say BUT...how does that apply to those who have yet to accept God exists? why can't truth exist independent of God? if God never existed does that mean no truth ever existed? how do you propose to prove that one? 

The reason I can't compromise on this is because any type of compromise on this literally undermines all of theology.

But you are doing absolutely nothing to support the theory, you're just regurgitating it. 

No, The Ultimate Reality is what God means. It doesn't exist in God, because that doesn't make sense, and God doesn't exist in it because then there would be an existence greater than God.

I know what it means, I'm not an atheist.

And what I am asserting here is Orthodox Theology. It is correct and true.

Don't deny that, however I have accepted God exists. You don't seem to register that fact. 

All atheiist arguments against God are contingent on making God something else. That is why compromise only serves to aide in reinforcing the atheists superstitions.

You've given them no reason to believe truth cannot exist independent of God, period. Maybe the people in front of your pulpit accept it, but you are in the jungle baby. Time to wake up and get in the argument. 

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
I can't say if I believe or disbelive in the existence of an 'ultimate reality' because I can't see inside mopac's head to see what he is refering to.   Some would say that what scientisrs are looking for is a 'theory of everything', that is an equation from which all other laws of physics follow.  Does that count as an 'ultimate reality'?  It what mopac means by 'ultimate reality'?

YHWH and God of the bible are superstitions, as are Mars, Allah and Ganesh.   As it is, 'ultimate reality' is a label not attached to anythinng definite.