MEEP: Reformed ban policy & DebateArt President

Author: MisterChris ,

Pinned
Total: 230
Ragnar
Debates: 36
Ragnar
--> @dfss9788
To my understanding SPES would not be applied retroactively, and the current mod team is showing a ton of leniency towards past offenses (within some limits...).

So about lengths for mixed and extreme offenses: Within SPES there's a tier thing. It allows for modifications based on circumstances.
  • Tier 1: Things like users joking around with each other. No punishment.
  • Tier 2: Either too many jokes that it becomes worrisome, or else a violation which is too minor to merit the textbook punishment.
  • Tier 3: The textbook offense, yields the textbook punishment.
  • Tier 4: An extreme offense, which results in skipping a step in the punishment chain; and enough of them can result in permabans.
Something like 'I want to slap some sense into you' would not be ban worthy; in fact it would barely be notable unless it's a repeated offense. However, in a fit of rage promising violence, clearly the person needs a time out. An actual credible threat of violence, that would necessitate greater than normal punishments; as would making a non-credible threat worse by bringing someone's family into it.

Regarding doxxing, it is such a serious matter... But I wouldn't mind seeing a little refinement to that section of SPES to clarify where the line is crossed. Someone guesses someone else is from Australia, it's certainly nothing we'd want to ban over. Other stuff is too mild, like 'hey are you the same dfss9788 from such and such a website?' which would clearly not be malicious.

That said, I'm not the architect of SPES; nor one of the big decision makers in interpreting the CoC now (which with the various complaints about me, and it being a move away from how I moderated, should be in its favor).
949havoc
Debates: 0
949havoc
--> @dfss9788
Yes, that is what is written, which is one reason why I oppose the MEEP. The standard is dumbed down. 30 day ban for threat against another member, violent, or not? No, I. disagree.
dfss9788
Debates: 0
dfss9788
--> @Ragnar
the current mod team is showing a ton of leniency towards past offenses
Sounds like an offer he can't refuse. Perhaps he'll get the message.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
--> @MisterChris
Has anyone considered a "ban from debates and forums" only ?

That way, a "banned" user could still communicate with people they know here through the PM function, so at least we could get their side of the story and perhaps find out if they post on some other debate site or blog or discord or something if we find them interesting and wonder why they suddenly disappeared.

Perhaps we could allow them to send "friend requests" and then only allow them to PM with people who accept their "friend request".
drlebronski
Debates: 11
drlebronski
--> @MisterChris @Ragnar @SupaDudz
Will there be vice presidents, like on ddo?