Shootings shmootings...

Author: keithprosser

Total: 99
keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
Mass shootings no longer merit a thread.
Just sayin'.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@keithprosser
California needs more guns laws, like magazines with 10 or less rounds so you can't shoot more than 10 people.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Even if we had 5 round magazines... changing them takes a second. Even shotguns can be loaded in seconds if they are one shot. When someone starts shooting... the most logical thing to do is distance yourself, not go at the shooter. 
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@keithprosser
Especially this one right? Happened in California where we have universal background checks, ten day waiting periods, assault weapons ban, handgun roasters, magazine restrictions, very restricted concealed carry, etc. etc. So, what else can you do to stop a person intent on harming others? Maybe if one person had a gun, the death toll would be lower... just maybe. But no... considering getting rid of gun free zones and concealed carry isn't an option. Making more laws that people will break when they want to kill and break a bunch of laws in doing so... is considered common sense. 
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Outplayz
I was being a smart ass because Kommiefornia is one of those states with such strict laws to prevent these sorts of things and yet.....
Castin
Castin
Why do high profile mass shootings seem to be becoming more frequent.

I hate that I'm used to it.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Oh... i caught that. I was being a smart ass too... for other readers lol
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Castin

I hate that I'm used to it.

Bc they are being publicized. It's plain and simple. This one was just a crazy guy which the past also had.. but most get pumped up after seeing another kid do it and then they do it. If you do anything creative, like play a game, sports... what pumps you up the most? Watching a youtube video or someone else doing it right? The media is teaching these people how to do it and they are also contributing to making sick people feel like they will also get this weird "glory" from the media that's in their sick heads. 

How many people do you think try to assassinate politicians or even the president? You would think none right? You never hear of it or see it on the news. Why? Bc they don't want to teach other would be assassins what works and doesn't... and they also don't want to encourage it. Weird huh? They only care about people in power. They only care to pad their own pockets. I can't blame them i guess... if i was getting a million dollars for being on tv i might be the same piece of garbage... Who knows. But i'm glad i'm not and wouldn't try to be. 

Moral of the story... it's greedy narcissistic people with no empathy for human life contributing to these murders. Of course there are other elements, but i would say the increase is in large the media coverage these people get. 
Castin
Castin
-->
@Outplayz
I remember reading that Adam Lanza was obsessed with mass shootings, particularly Columbine. They found several videos on his computer of suicide by gunshot, as well.

It's frustrating. You can't stop private media from covering the top stories. And now that everyone has a camera in their pocket, these incidents will only get more publicity.

Imagine having such a negative relationship with the world and with life that you're willing to murder a dozen people you don't know. And then yourself. It's a disturbing headspace.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Castin
Yeah in the age of social media it's hard to keep things on the down low. But i do think the media can do something different than what they are in publicizing these murders. They just won't bc it's good money.

Castin
Castin
-->
@Outplayz
It's hard enough getting one company to place human lives before money. To get every press company to do it seems depressingly impossible, short of federal regulation.

But on the subject of massacres inspiring massacres, do you think the shooter was aware that survivors of the Las Vegas shooting frequented that bar?
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Castin
It has nothing to do with the current liberal attitude that life, and indeed nothing, is sacred, that morality is decided by personal tastes, that PERSONAL SOVEREIGNTY is paramount. It has nothing to do with our culture of immediate gratification, or our belief that we are entitled to whatever we want, and that every desire of ours is in fact a right.

It has nothing to do with God being driven out of society. Nothing at all.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@ethang5
The first time thang has ever told the truth. huzzah!.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@ethang5
multiple studies have been done about fatherless homes, unwed mothers, high school drop out rates etc, while that's just a small portion of the larger social issues, imo that is the very base and beginning of what we are seeing today.  The shouts for mental health and other reforms are just that, a lot of hot air.  While I didn't and don't like Obama I had high hopes he would do something, instead it tried to push his anti gun agenda and increase purchases through the roof.  While not much as still been done, it's more than 8 years of Obama, even if all they do is talk about it.  Trump has given some limited press on the subject of prison reforms etc.  Hopefully something will and can be done, but I don't have high hopes.  The only way to have true affect and success is to control the will rather than the means, removing the will makes the means irrelevant.  But that requires a level of morality, ethics and values.  For many those things are lost or never were.  Society needs to reclaim them somehow.
ethang5
ethang5
Society needs to reclaim them somehow.

And society never will with liberals shooting down every moral value and stuffing the country with people of 3rd world morality.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Castin
But on the subject of massacres inspiring massacres, do you think the shooter was aware that survivors of the Las Vegas shooting frequented that bar? 
It's really hard to tell. I wouldn't put it passed him to have known, but i don't know. Overall i'm pretty confident most these shooters either fantasize past shooters or watch them for encouragement / learning. This guy seems more of the just insane type that would have snapped and done it either way. plus, since he was a marine and probably a pretty good shot... i don't think he really needed to go learn what to do. I think this guy just snapped and went on a rampage. In the end of the day... who knows why crazy acts crazy.  

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
We really need to revisit this idea of gun-free sanctuaries.

The vast majority of shooting sprees occur at gun-free sanctuaries.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Someone call Matt Dillon.
Castin
Castin
-->
@Outplayz
It's really hard to tell. I wouldn't put it passed him to have known, but i don't know. Overall i'm pretty confident most these shooters either fantasize past shooters or watch them for encouragement / learning. This guy seems more of the just insane type that would have snapped and done it either way. plus, since he was a marine and probably a pretty good shot... i don't think he really needed to go learn what to do. I think this guy just snapped and went on a rampage. In the end of the day... who knows why crazy acts crazy.  
It's never enough for me to just shrug and say "who knows? he crazy". If I don't come to an understanding of the mind that did it, it remains a disturbing unknown that defies reason. The fact that horror movies always portray monsters as disturbing unknowns that defy reason speaks to how much that concept naturally scares humans. It still bothers me that the Las Vegas shooter's motive remains a mystery.

More importantly, if no understanding is reached, we can't attack the roots of the problem. 
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@ethang5
It has nothing to do with God being driven out of society. 

Ok, everyone, let's put our thoughts and prayers to work on this receding god problem! They haven't been working anywhere else! 😆😆😆
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@Castin
I agree, Castin. 

It seems the right and the left each have their own agenda each time something like this happens and are unwilling to let the chips fall where they may in a serious evaluation.

I'm tired of the games...its time for our government to be occupied by individuals who are not quite so fearful.
ethang5
ethang5
Ok, everyone, let's put our thoughts and prayers to work on this receding god problem! 
Your attempt to hide behind humor implies you are one of those individuals who are fearful.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Castin
There's more than 300 million people in America.  What is that might push 1 person in 300 million over the edge?   I'd say 'Almost anything'- there probably isn't a common root.
Plisken
Plisken
There doesn't need to be a specific brand of insanity for a system of social intervention to prove effective at preventing an evil result of disorder.  
FaustianJustice
FaustianJustice
-->
@ethang5
It has nothing to do with the current liberal attitude that life, and indeed nothing, is sacred, that morality is decided by personal tastes, that PERSONAL SOVEREIGNTY is paramount. It has nothing to do with our culture of immediate gratification, or our belief that we are entitled to whatever we want, and that every desire of ours is in fact a right.

Ooof, this one is too easy.

1)  An immediate swath of mass shooters can be negated from being liberal in so much as they swore allegiance/acted on behalf of theocratic interests.  Not liberal, quite literally acting on behalf of what they think their God wants.  

2) With precious few exception, nearly every mass shooter was known to be a troubled individual, or some one close to them -knew- of their issues but told no one.  

3) 4 mass killers that we know of have been trained by the US military.  We taught them to kill, and preferably not have a conscience about it, 2 of them were reviewed and/or asked for help but were denied.

Right now, the only real 'trend bucking' issue is the dude in Vegas.  Virtually ever other series of shooters that were not imported has a mental profile akin to 'dangerous', but no one batted an eye, and those that we did import, were willing agents as 'the hand' of God.  
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@FaustianJustice
Nailed that!
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@ethang5
Your attempt to hide behind humor implies you are one of those individuals who are fearful.
I'm fearful we as an electorate too often fear minimally dangerous things exaggerated and discount serious threats completely.

p.s. if you don't hit the reply button, I don't get a notification!

ethang5
ethang5
An immediate swath of mass shooters can be negated from being liberal in so much as they swore allegiance/acted on behalf of theocratic interests.
Theist does not preclude liberal.
I did not say they were liberal.
What they say is not necessarily truth.

With precious few exception, nearly every mass shooter was known to be a troubled individual,
My post did not disagree they were troubled. It dealt with why they were troubled and why that trouble should result in mass murder.

We taught them to kill, and preferably not have a conscience about it,
America has had a military for 200 years. Like a liberal, you will refuse to examine anything that doesn't already conform to your PC dogma. So you will block any conservative solution, all the while wailing at the people dying.

...those that we did import,
Who imported them? Didn't you tell me the immigration was worth the deaths? Yet here you are, overflowing with crocodile tears.

We will keep having these killings till we become serious. Just as the killer posted. All you know to do is lay flowers and condemn guns. And stupidly wait for the next massacre while you condemn conservatives.

Bah.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@SkepticalOne

I'm fearful..... 
You point loses much impact if you're fearful too.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@SkepticalOne
I think we humans are very bad at estimating risks and dangers.  Cows kill a lot more people than sharks do.

The safest time to fly was probably right after 9-11 when security personel etc were super-motivated, but people waited, and thing went back to more or less just going throught the motions.

I bet every one of us does something (smoke, drink, drive a car)that is far more likely to kill us that a mass shooter is.