Website Redesign

Author: David

Total: 12
David
Debates: 91
David
This is an update to the last post about the homepage. As we were discussing some things about it, we are considering redesigning the entire site to create new features and to get away from the DDO-esq feel. 

I have two concepts I want to present to the community:
The first link I really love the homepage layout. The homepage, as others mentioned, should have dynamic content to it. The latest activities will feature the latest debates and we'll have a list of new members and featured members as well. 

The second link I also really like. One thing we are thinking of adding is the ability to add friends and create groups. A twitter-like profile page could enable you to create status updates, add photos, and possibly have a space for your own personal blog. 

Again, these are just concepts and we are not going to implemented it exactly. We want to throw it up to the community for discussion. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
I 100% prefer our theme to the first link. The PM system is less obviously better or worse to me in what you show.
David
David
-->
@RationalMadman
the second one can definitely use some help wrt the messaging. Though we are working on overhauling our messaging to support group chats
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@David
Based on me and others, there is huge demand for a DARK version of the current site. As in the area that's white/cream making it darker.
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
-->
@David
I definitely like the arrangement of content in your first link, though not necessarily the aesthetics. I've been pining for a Latest Activity box that shows the most recent thread posts.

A note on moving away from the DDO feel: The fact that this site looks like DDO is arguably one of the biggest reasons it attracted the largest crowd of DDO refugees. It probably continues to be a draw for DDO refugees who sign up. People like what's familiar. Something to keep in mind, even though personally I'd be very interested to see a DART redesign. I was never in love with the aesthetics of DDO.
Raltar
Debates: 4
Raltar
One thing we are thinking of adding is the ability to add friends and create groups.
I don't personally care much about the visual appearance of the site. If it is ugly as hell, whatever, no big deal.

But more features? Particularly as they pertain to interactions with other users? Sign me up for that! 

In addition to friends and groups, I would also love to see a more robust block feature, so that the blocked party can't even see your content, much less interact with it. 
David
David
-->
@Castin
Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah I agree with you in that because DART feels like DDO it draws people in. That being said we do need something to be able to distinguish ourselves from them. 

David
David
-->
@Raltar
Thanks for the feedback!

I'm not sure if I agree with not being allowed to see another person's content if you block them. That could cause some issues with quoting and interactions. 
Raltar
Debates: 4
Raltar
That could cause some issues with quoting and interactions.
Er... yeah?

I mean, preventing interaction is usually the goal of blocking somebody. 

Let me pitch it to you this way; I've got an issue right now where a guy didn't like the way I voted on his debate and has been following everything I do so he can report all my votes and hope a few of them get removed. 

If the guy wanted to tell me I'm a jerk, cool, whatever.

But trying to get moderators to harass me on his behalf is just childish. It forces me to repost content that gets removed, and forces you to waste time evaluating content just because one guy has an axe to grind. 

I've blocked this joker, but with the current functionality of the block feature being what it is, this really does nothing to solve the problem. 

David
David
-->
@Raltar
DDO had several ways to "block" another person

• Block from accepting debate
  • Block from challenging debate
  • Block from friend requesting
  • Block from sending message
  • Block from posting comments and tags
We should also have the ability to block from posting in forum threads that a user creates and possibly block from voting on debates. 

Smithereens
Debates: 2
Smithereens
second link aesthetics looks neater imho. 
Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
-->
@David
I think we should keep the theme as it is.