when will jesus return?

Author: BigPimpDaddy

Total: 207
BigPimpDaddy
Debates: 5
BigPimpDaddy
It is stated in the bible that jesus will return.
I think the time is near considering everything going on.
or is he already here?
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
He said that it would be before the apostolic generation had died off, and I tend to take that as a more historically reliable quote. As time passed and that generation did begin to die off, his followers began to reinterpret his messages, and we begin to see epistles like 2 Peter, which are obviously trying to reassure followers about a delayed Second Coming.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Castin
@BigPimpDaddy
Probably having trouble with the spaceship.
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@BigPimpDaddy
It depends how you interpret the term "coming"? 

The Lord comes - or is coming is an OT reference to judgment.  Not necessarily to a literal appearance or return. 

Many passages in the OT and the NT refer to the Lord's coming - in judgment and there are many other passages that refer to the return of the Lord Jesus. 

The two are not necessarily the same thing. And when the two are conflated - then things get messy. 

The same as when people talk of the last days or the latter days or the last Day. 

What particular day are they are talking of - in relation to what particular event or covenant? 

I suggest that Jesus' judgment - his coming occurred in AD 70 - at the destruction of Jerusalem. But I would not relate that to his second coming - which is talking about his return to collect his bride. 

The covenant between Israel and God - came to an end definitely at AD 70.  It started to end at Jesus' death.  Between Jesus' death and the destruction of Jerusalem is approximately 40 years - one generation.  This is what Jesus referred to in Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke 22.  Jesus came - in judgment at Jerusalem within that generation - just as he predicted. 

It was not a literal coming - it was a judgment coming - and is similar to nature to every time the Lord came in the OT with many judgments over many nations including Israel. 

I think his second return however will not occur yet. I think he is going to return to collect his bride. The church. When she is fully grown up and mature - and ready to be a wife. At the moment the church acts like a petulant child or teenager.  She doesn't know whether she is Arthur or Martha.  She is all over the place - like a scatty teenager in puberty.  Not yet ready to meet her Lord and Husband. 

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
I suggest that Jesus' judgment - his coming occurred in AD 70 - at the destruction of Jerusalem.

Strange way to unite the tribes of Israel, wasn't it, Reverend "Tradey". 

Matthew 15:24 King James Version
But he answered and said, "I was sent only the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@BigPimpDaddy
There is only ONE group of people that talk like this.
Jehovah witnesseseseses.

What religious group do you belong to pal ?
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Imagine telling a seven , eight  or ten year old girl that Jesus is coming soon to turn allllll nonbelievers to ash.

GOD has really left you guys in the lurch as to when this is going to happen. 

I picture you guys living day to day like this. 

Any day now. 

Wait for it. 

Hold.

Here it comes. 

Hold.

HOLD. 

Here we go. 

Get ready .

Wait for it 

And . 

Real soon now . 

Hold. 

Here it comes. 

Brace yourself. 

WAIT FOR IT.  

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
No one says they think jesus will return in the year 3177. 

It is ALWAYSSSSSSSSSSSSS going to  happen in your lifetime but. 

Brace yourself. 

Here it comes. 

Wait for it.  
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Do you hear that? 

It couldn't be could it? 
No its just the cat. 

My hearts racing hey. 
I thought it was him, 

Well today is coming to a close , so it will not be happening today.
Tomorrow perhaps. .... .

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Jesus is dead,  get over it.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
A quick Odds update.  As of (  7th of October 2021. ) 

The returning of Jesus *

Within one year      (  $5001 to 1  ) 
Within the next 5 years      (  $501 to 1 ) 
Within a decade.       (  $201  to  1  ) 

* payable upon jesus return. 

And remember.  
Please gamble responsibly. 

So we can see from this that the chances of Jesus turning up soon are slim if best. 

Good game. 
Good game. 
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
Yes you keep coming back to this. 

I disagree. 

As do all the Gentiles in the NT and the entire Christian Church. 

Noting this DOES  NOT DISAGREE with Jesus but with the interpretation of what people say he was saying. 
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Stephen
I think that the op poster.  BigPimpDad. 
May have knowledge into how jesus entered that locked room.  

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
The Jehovah witness Christian are a funny bunch. 
As are the Mormon Christians . 
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
Strange way to unite the tribes of Israel, wasn't it, Reverend "Tradey". 

Matthew 15:24 King James Version
But he answered and said, "I was sent only the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

Given that this is only your unique perspective, it is little wonder I would give it thought. 

I never said Jesus was trying to unite the tribes. 

AND nor do I think that Jesus' words there in Matthew 15:24 are meant to infer that he is not interested in the salvation of all tribes and nations in accordance with the prophecies of Abraham. 

so perhaps you might elaborate on your own doctrine here.  After all, this seems to be the one spot in the bible that supports your view. Where else do we see it? After all, most scholars would never stoop to understand a doctrine from a vague place. But rather seek to find places which are not disputable and work from there. 

Your logic would be appreciated. 
949havoc
Debates: 7
949havoc
-->
@BigPimpDaddy
He is not yet here. We will know it when it happens. I agree; it is close at hand. However, I personally believe that it is not known to us when it will occur because it is a big secret only God nows, but that there is need to have a sufficient number of people prepared, ready, and availably equipped to bear the necessary administration of the kingdom of heaven on their shoulders because Jesus is not going to administrate by himself. Did he ever but for the one essential act of his mission: the atonement? He, alone, could do that and no other to help. But administration of the kingdom of heaven will require many, many people, but they have to know what they're doing. Qualification for the job; simple as that. I guess there are not enough, yet.

We'll know when enough of the people utter the words sincerely offered in the Lord's prayer: "...thy kingdom come..." That's not a wish, as most people pray, wishing for blessings not really deserved, yet. As Jesus demonstrated when he said, "After this manner, pray ye..." Prayer ought to be a positive statement of agreement that we need to change our hearts, and be about changing them, not wishing they be changed by some magic mumbo-jumbo. We have to say, "Lord, I'm ready, willing, and able to serve in the kingdom. See my heart, See the mighty change you have allowed to happen in me. I'm ready." When enough people can do that, I think the lord will come. To the faithful, the Lord will not come as a thief in the night, but at mid-day when we are awake and alert, and full of joy at his coming because we've been expecting him, prepared for him, and knowing he will come.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@949havoc
 But administration of the kingdom of heaven will require many, many people, but they have to know what they're doing. Qualification for the job; simple as that. I guess there are not enough, yet.
Why would there be an administration 'required'? Aren't these entities all powerful? Why do they need anyone's help? 
949havoc
949havoc
-->
@ludofl3x
To learn to to administrate a heavenly kingdom, which is likely a lot different from any earthly kingdom ever established. You think heaven runs the way we do, now? Good joke.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@949havoc
So heaven requires PEOPLE to "run" it? Are you talking about a different Jesus than the standard Jesus? Because that version, the abrahamic version, decidedly doesn't need anyone's help 'running' an 'administration.' What's that administration going to 'administrate,' exactly?  

949havoc
949havoc
-->
@ludofl3x
So, you think heaven runs itself, or that God, alone, is in the throne room? That's a different kind of porcelain throne, not to put too fine a point on it. After all, Michelangelo did risk revealing God's end game on the Sistine ceiling, but that's another story for another time.

Angels, bud.

Bottom line, heaven is an enterprise. Hint: Only Marx thinks that only one guy runs a lemonade stand, but he never ran one, so what the hell does he know about it? Real enterprise owners, CEOs, know they need administrative, manufacturing, marketing, R&D... staff. A really competent CEO also knows he will move on, and someone capable in management is elevated to CEO. In our case, that's Jesus, for now. Eternity is a long time, and behind Jesus, there's... well, us.

Heaven is an education machine: how to be a god. There are, after all, many enterprises, and all need a CEO. You thought there was just one?
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
I think The second coming will happen  Two maybe Three days tops after my death, 
So I will just miss out witnessing it.  

Bummer for ne. 

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@949havoc
OK, so you're talking about a different god than the one in the bible, and a different heaven, one that I think you have invented on your own, as I've never heard of anything along those lines. You should talk to EternlView, he has similar notions in that they are unique and inscrutable. Though you do say Jesus, which maybe is a different entity than the one in the bible, I can't tell. Maybe you're one of these "characters" who spends their time trolling debate websites, I guess that's also a possiblity. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ludofl3x
@949havoc
 But administration of the kingdom of heaven will require many, many people, but they have to know what they're doing. Qualification for the job; simple as that. I guess there are not enough, yet.
Why would there be an administration 'required'? Aren't these entities all powerful? Why do they need anyone's help? 

And however did they manage before human spirits started arriving in heaven.  I mean, there are only supposed to be 144,000 due to arrive in that heavenly realm of "many mansions" aren't there? There are more people living in small towns and villages where I come from.

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@BigPimpDaddy
I think the time is near considering everything going on.
Out of all the troubles the world has seen, it just happens to be the ones in your lifetime that herald the end of the world?

What makes you such a special snowflake?
949havoc
949havoc
-->
@Stephen
there are only supposed to be 144,000
reading too literally. Those 144k may only be executives, so to speak; but there's a whole organization in supporting roles. At first. Anyone who qualifies for heaven will go. Argue for your limitations. They're not mine..
949havoc
949havoc
-->
@ludofl3x
No, no. and no.

Have you read the Bible, cover to cover, no skipped pages or verses? In three languages? Four, including antiquity? How many times? It says more than you think it does. Talk to me when you get there.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@949havoc
PLease point to the verses in the bible where they specifically mention that people are needed to staff a heavenly administration here on earth, and that Jesus won't return until he's got a full staff. You're ridiculous, and also, clearly fauxlaw.  
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@949havoc
Those 144k may only be executives, so to speak; but there's a whole organization in supporting roles.
Also please point me to the part of the bible where the people who are saved are then separated into 'levels' of saved, such that there are 'executives' versus 'office workers.'
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Stephen
Administration of the Kingdom of Heaven.

Sounds like the same old shit to me.

Always someone that thinks they know better than you.

Do they have clipboards and point a lot.

And are there lots of forms to fill in.
949havoc
949havoc
-->
@ludofl3x

1 Corinthians 12:28
"And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues."

Ephesians 4:16
"from whom the whole body, being fitted and held together by what every joint supplies, according to the proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love."

While these speak of an earthly organization, it is, as many biblical accountings, description of a type. Organization is organization, whether on earth or in heaven, because...

I Corinthians 4: 33
"for God is not a God of confusion, but of peace" 

I Corinthians 14: 40
"But all things must be done properly and in an orderly manner."

There's more, but, as I said, reading the Bible is essential. Hint: it's isn't like reading the comic section.