Voting System - Points From Ties

Author: Mharman

Total: 12
Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman

If you were to count the votes on this debate, you would think con won 14-0. But when you look at the screen, the counter displays that con won 21-7. What the heck?

That's when it hit me. If a voter picks "tie" on any category, it will award points to both pro and con. That's stupid. Please make it so that no points are awarded for ties.
DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
-->
@Mharman
Yeah, you are not the first one to complain about it, I will fix it at some point, it's just not really a priority at this point. Hopefully I'll fix it this month though. 
Raltar
Debates: 4
Raltar
Cool. That makes sense to me as well. 

Particularly the "conduct" category. I've seen a lot of debates where I really hated the idea of either participant getting any points from that category.
David
Debates: 91
David
I fully agree
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Mharman
Since a stalemate is a draw game, in tournament chess or scoring chess, each side would score half a point.
If the point is to encourage debate, it seems that some minimum points should be awarded for a tie.

Mharman
Mharman
-->
@3RU7AL
No. It's doesn't encourage anything. It's basically just consolation points for losing.     
Raltar
Raltar
Yeah, the points have no effect unless you have more of them than your opponent at the end. So even if you get a vote where the voter says you tied in three categories, but he gives the fourth category to your opponent, that is still functionally a vote for your opponent. From a purely mechanical standpoint, it doesn't actually matter if a tie awards equal points or no points, because the outcome is the same.
Raltar
Raltar
The problem with a tie awarding points to both parties is that it psychologically suggests that both parties did well in that category, but usually when I give a tie it is because both parties were equally bad.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mharman
No. It's doesn't encourage anything. It's basically just consolation points for losing.
Rewarding participation encourages participation.

It takes a fair amount of effort to compete in a formal debate.

If I have no faith in the impartiality of the judges or the fair mindedness of my random opponent, a point for a tie seems a small thing to ask.

Also, a tie is not a loss.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@3RU7AL
Giving people free points for participating isn't going to encourage anything. No one gets motivated by participation trophies.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mharman
Giving people free points for participating isn't going to encourage anything. No one gets motivated by participation trophies.
This statement is provably false.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@3RU7AL
*Almost no one.