What makes an atheist obsessed with religion?

Author: janesix

Total: 188
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
All the atheists I know personally don't care a bit about religion. But ddo/dart atheists seem to be obsessed with it. Why?

keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
You don't have to believe in god to be affected by religion , J.

janesix
janesix
-->
@keithprosser
Are you so affected by it that you have become obsessed with it?
janesix
janesix
-->
@keithprosser
I guess I wouldn't know, i was raised in the Pacific Northwest, where religion isn't an issue. A real atheist heaven here.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@janesix
What makes an atheist obsessed with religion?

It is in most cases not  an obsession as such but a healthy interest. In my case I believe much of what the bible has to say and treat it as an historical study. I do believe it holds information about our origins but not the "fairy tail" manner in which much of it is presented. I believe all the biblical characters existed. I believe the OT is a book of war once the creation verses has been read.

I believe men fought the wars of flesh and blood gods who couldn't even live in peace amongst themselves. I believe it is all about bloodlines and hereditary the accensions and coming to power of very much flesh and blood gods and human kings.

I find the bible one of the most fascinating pieces of literature ever written as I do the history of Mesopotamia.

So it is not a "obsession" in my case buta healthy interest and one I have had over 40+ years.

But ddo/dart atheists seem to be obsessed with it. Why?

Because this is a place to debate religion basically.
The reason for that is because people including atheist as a rule, do not discuss religion outside of religious circles. I don't hardly mention "religion" when I am out with friends down the pub or  my family  unless someone else happens to bring up the subject.
janesix
janesix
-->
@Stephen
How much time every day do you devote to studying and thinking about religion?
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@janesix
I am concerned with the negative effects religious thinking can and does bring to society. Global warming mitigation, women's reproductive rights, education, medical breakthroughs etc., have all been hindered by religious thinking. 

It makes sense to bring critical attention to what harms us.

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@janesix
But ddo/dart atheists seem to be obsessed with it. Why?
So for you, Discussion = Obsession? Do you actually know the meaning of that word?
janesix
janesix
-->
@Goldtop
You absolutely seem obsessed with it. Why?
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@janesix
Ah, so you don't know the meaning of that word, as I suspected.
janesix
janesix
-->
@Goldtop
You are in denial, poor thing.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Goldtop
"preoccupy or fill the mind of (someone) continually, intrusively, and to a troubling extent."

Describes you perfectly, do you think people don't see that lol? hilarious...just take a look at my notifications box. 
Stephen
Stephen
How much time every day do you devote to studying and thinking about religion?
Not as much as I used to. Religion and ancient history has always been 99 % of my speciality reading for  40 + years. It is  extremely rare for me to read fiction unless it has been bought for me as a present etc.
I have just  read The Genius Of The Few  - The Story  of  Those who Founded the Garden in Eden -  by Christian and Barbara O'Brien. 
Grugore
Debates: 1
Grugore
-->
@janesix
They are simply doing the will of their lord and master. The Devil. Nothing makes them happier than trying to get more people to spend eternity in hell with them. Fools.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@janesix
It's funny how you believers will lie to yourselves about anything. Hilarious.
Goldtop
Goldtop
This describes EtrnlVw perfectly, pretty much everything you say here is a delusion including your beliefs of me.

Delusion - an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder.

If anyone was obsessed, it would be you with your God worlds, overlords and spiritual beings, it's all you ever talk about.

Stephen
Stephen
Nothing makes them happier than trying to get more people to spend eternity in hell with them. Fools.
Nothing makes me " more happier" than to watch you try your damndest to explain away the many unexplainable passages in the bible.

Try these on for size.

“Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us – he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.” (Psalm 137:9)

“So the man took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they raped her and abused her throughout the night, and at dawn they let her go. At daybreak the woman went back to the house where her master was staying, fell down at the door and lay there until daylight. When her master got up in the morning and opened the door of the house and stepped out to continue on his way, there lay his concubine, fallen in the doorway of the house, with her hands on the threshold. He said to her, ‘Get up; let’s go.’ But there was no answer. Then the man put her on his donkey and set out for home.” (Judges 19:25-28)

“And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord, and said, ‘If you will give the Ammonites into my hand, then whoever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return victorious from the Ammonites, shall be the Lord’s, to be offered up by me as a burnt-offering.’ Then Jephthah came to his home at Mizpah; and there was his daughter coming out to meet him with timbrels and with dancing. She was his only child; he had no son or daughter except her. When he saw her, he tore his clothes, and said, ‘Alas, my daughter! You have brought me very low; you have become the cause of great trouble to me. For I have opened my mouth to the Lord, and I cannot take back my vow.’” (Judges 11:30-1, 34-5)

“This is what the Lord Almighty says... ‘Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3)
janesix
janesix
-->
@Plisken
Nothing. But spending hours every day on a religion forum is more than mere "interest".
Plisken
Plisken
-->
@janesix
I don't know.  I have met a vocal atheist before, and I found his subjects of conversation strange and somewhat disconcerting, but he was nice to his family and treated his company fine in my presence.  I suppose there are people you might not think to talk to normally who you might see otherwise on the Internet. 
janesix
janesix
-->
@Plisken
Where I come from, no one talks about religion. I only see it in the forums.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
This describes EtrnlVw perfectly, pretty much everything you say here is a delusion including your beliefs of me.

Thanks for the opinion, any more?

Delusion - an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder.

Any reason this does not apply to you Mr. High Road? Since when are you the authority on what is reality and what is not? Try again....

If anyone was obsessed, it would be you with your God worlds, overlords and spiritual beings, it's all you ever talk

I am a Theist based on the reality of it, just as I'm a Father based on the reality of it. That is not an obsession for me to discuss all things true that are relevant to Theism/spirituality, just like it is not an obsession for me to discuss all things related to my children as well this is a religion forum in case you have yet to notice. You on the other hand, are obsessed with stalking my posts and you are obsessed with bullying people in religion forums. Face it, you are obsessed with what you think are delusions and people you believe are deluded lol. You are obsessed with a topic you don't even believe exists! that's not a very fun life I would say, perhaps a new hobby since your "band" isn't keeping you busy enough in life?

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@janesix
Nothing. But spending hours every day on a religion forum is more than mere "interest".
What is your evidence that people spend hours here?

janesix
janesix
-->
@Goldtop
lol...really?
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@janesix
Lol, it's okay, he doesn't even know what evidence means or consists of. So he will never know there is evidence he spends hours in the religion forum that he finds ridiculous and delusional. He might not even know there is evidence he fills up 99% of my notifications. But no, no obsession there....
janesix
janesix
-->
@EtrnlVw
You know, i couldn't imagine spending hours every day arguing with people over whether something like Flat Earth or Unicorns exist. Weird.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@janesix
Precisely, they compare God to gnomes, fairies and Santa. Shows their willingness to spend all day arguing about absurdities, perhaps we should go to a fantasy forum and argue all day about the existence of goblins lol?
Goldtop
Goldtop
Any reason this does not apply to you Mr. High Road?
I'm not the one steeped in fantasies of God worlds, Overlords and Invisible beings with whom you talk, I'm not the one who clams atoms have a consciousness when they don't even have brains, which is where consciousness originates, though you emphatically deny it, I'm not the one who has completely divorced themselves from reality. I accept reality for what it is, you do everything you can to avoid it, that's why delusion describes you, not me.

That is not an obsession for me to discuss all things true that are relevant to Theism/spirituality, just like it is not an obsession for me to discuss all things related to my children
The massive difference which you are oblivious to is the fact that children are real and your Theism/spirituality is all delusion.

You are obsessed
Your delusions are only matched by your fabrications and lies. In fact, here you are engaging me when I didn't engage you at all. So clearly, you're a bald faced liar. Of course, you'll keep lying that I'm obsessed with you and then you'll come back and engage me, then lie about being harassed, then engage me again, this vicious cycle of delusion and lies on your part will go round and round. Your mind ain't right.
Goldtop
Goldtop
Lol, it's okay, he doesn't even know what evidence means or consists of.
What's really hilarious is when you put up the definition of "Evidence" and everything in the definition shows you to be completely ignorant of the word. It's baffling, it's like you're reading it but nothing is sinking in. Of course, along with your lies, you make up definitions to suit your delusions.

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@janesix
So, you actually have no evidence of people spending hours here, other than the fact you spend hours here and you assume everyone else does?
janesix
janesix
-->
@Goldtop
No need to assume, it is obvious.