Jury finds organizers of deadly 'Unite the Right' rally liable

Author: cristo71

Total: 37
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71

Gee, couldn’t have happened to a nicer bunch of guys. Wonder if they will ever pay up?
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
antifa were the main trouble makers there, everyone knows that
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Maybe you're a tad biased Doc.

As an outside observer I would suggest that just as your mum probably used to say to you, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Yin and Yang Doc.

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Dr.Franklin
antifa were the main trouble makers there, everyone knows that
False.  That is a lie deluded Trumpsters tell other deluded Trumpsters on FOX News and InfoWars.  Only a brainwashed follower would believe that Antifa organized a Unite the Right rally.

Of the 50 people hurt and killed at the rally,  1 death and 48 injuries are attributed to right-wing violence.  1 injury is attributed to Left wing violence.  That's pretty consistent with the historic proportional accountability along that political schism.  Of the 11 arrests made that day, all were right wing and most were armed.

WIkipedia:
Some critics argued that members of the media were excusing the violence from activists associated with antifa, a loosely affiliated group of far-left protesters.  Jonah Goldberg wrote that the presence of the alt-right did not excuse Antifa from its policies that "oppose free speech, celebrate violence, despise dissent and have little use for anything else in the American political tradition".  Journalists Paul Waldman and Peter Beinart criticized this argument as an ineffective tactic to defend Trump and it also stated that none of the violence from the counter-protesters justified any moral equivalency between the two sides at the rally. Beinart wrote that unlike the alt-right, antifa are not practitioners of an ideology that advocates the ethnic cleansing of other racial and religious groups nor do they "celebrate regimes that committed genocide and enforced slavery", and antifa promotes egalitarianism unlike the alt-right.  Ray Arsenault of the Tampa Bay Times wrote that although there were some violent members among their ranks, the counter-protesters were mostly made up of "peaceful activists committed to nonviolence", including several clergymen and Black Lives Matter activists.  Linda Qiu of The New York Times mentioned that although both sides were violent that day, only one side—the alt-right—was responsible for a deadly act of domestic terrorism.  Jonathan Tobin of The Times of Israel mentioned that the explicit presence of Nazi and Ku Klux Klan imagery from the white supremacists and Fields' attack "render irrelevant" antifa presence at the rally.  Beinart and Qiu also both wrote that right-wing terrorism was far more common than left-wing terrorism.
What evidence can you bring to bear to support the false claim that Antifa were the main troublemakers at the Unite the Right Rally?
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@oromagi
the 1 death and 48 injuries is because of the car ramming, he was being chased by antifa members

the police were in favor of antifa, of course they wouldn't arrest them
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
i am biased
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I know Doc.

Biased but sensible.....Hopefully.

I'm  hoping, that you keep your AR15 well and truly locked away. 
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Dr.Franklin
-->@oromagi
the 1 death and 48 injuries is because of the car ramming,
35 injuries from the car ramming.  14 injuries came from other clashes.  
he was being chased by antifa members
well, that is a lie.  We have the attack on video tape from multiple angles.
watch this video and then explain again how he was being chased.  

"My knife would have done less damage, your honor, if my victim had not resisted the stab" has never been much of an appeal in any just court.  Fields pled guilty.  He was sentenced to two life sentences without possibility of parole plus 419 years plus half a million dollars in fines.
I'd consider it quite unlikely that a Police Chief would be in favor of Antifa.  In fact, I'm sure most police would prefer that there were no protestors of any stripe.  Let's recall that the police chief resigned saying he overprotected the Nazis and failed to protect the counter-protestors.  For example, the police lines were set up facing the counter protestors with their backs to the Nazis.  Let's also remember that 4th St. had been barricaded and guarded by traffic cops until immediately before Fields attack. That a big hole had temporarily opened up in the police barricade was not obvious but somehow that opportunity was made known to the attacker- many accusations have been made of police collusion with the nazis although there is no hard evidence to support such a conclusion.  Nevertheless, I don't think a legitimate case can be made that Charlottesville Police actually favored AntiFa or any other counter-protestor group.
sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
"Yahoo news" LOL

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@oromagi
one again you are incorrect, the car ramming was to escape antifa terrorists chasing the man, not defending what he did, but antifa played a huge role in the incident

the police chief resigned due to media pressure. All police favor leftist activists
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
i dont owe a AR15 zed
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Dr.Franklin
the car ramming was to escape antifa terrorists chasing the man,
I asked you to look at that tape (which refutes your claim soundly) and explain.  Mere repetition is not explanation.

not defending what he did, but
Pretty sure you've just done so twice

antifa played a huge role in the incident
Are we just taking your word for it or do you have something real to back this claim?  How are you identifying AntiFa members and how are you distinguishing AntiFa from other counterprotestors?

the police chief resigned due to media pressure.
True.  The media pressure was due to appearance of alt-Right sympathies in the Charlottesville Police.

All police favor leftist activists
The opposite of the truth.  A survey of 3,652 working officers found that 84% planned to vote for Trump in the 2016 election.  Hillary was supported by 8%, Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson received 5%, and "other" received 3%.   My read of the history of civil police forces is that their Overton windows are well to the right side of GenPop and far smaller in breadth.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Good to know Doc.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@oromagi
remember that police officers respond to the city and police chiefs, who are all liberal

17 days later

Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@Dr.Franklin
That is an absurd statement. 
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@Dr.Franklin
All police favor leftist activists
Why are you saying this shit? 

Wylted
Wylted
-->
@oromagi
Even assuming police are generallyiberal, which is laughable. It wouldn't make their actions inappropriate in any way. 

Oromagi's posts about injuries is silly also. Literally tons of footage of antifa literally attacking elderly Trump supporters. The reason these clashes have more antifa Injuries is easily explained by the fact, they are physically weaker and more effeminate than right wing males. However they are more prone to violence. 

Wylted
Wylted
-->
@cristo71
This is not something to be happy about. This means any organizer of any protest can be held liable. The court ruling would even allow BLM protest organizers to be held liable for all the arson, and looting that BLM protestors did. 

We all know it will only be used for protestors who make the establishment uncomfortable though. 
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
-->
@Wylted
I am always happy with justice being applied equally. I am with you if it is applied unequally…

Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Please present any evidence that the car running into a crowd was the result of the car being chased.

Without said evidence, it seems like you may be mixing up this and another case.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Barney
its a quick google search away
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Wylted
if you think the police are truly on the side of conservatives, you are truly misguided
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Wylted
no it isnt
Barney
Barney
-->
@Dr.Franklin
The very first result that showed up when I did the search ("was James Alex Fields Jr. chased"), contradicts your claim: https://www.factcheck.org/2017/08/driver-acting-self-defense/

Since your own source disagrees with your claim, are you going to retract it?
oromagi
oromagi
Parroting claims is easy.  Justifying those claims with evidence is hard.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Barney
theres no need to regurgitate whats already proven
Barney
Barney
-->
@Dr.Franklin
You attempted to refute what was already proven, so the facts of the case needed to be brought forward (or "regurgitated" as you call it) to reaffirm them.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Barney
watch the video
Barney
Barney
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I've watched multiple videos of this. Do you have any point?

If you have a video that shows Heather Heyer (the woman he is convicted of murdering) chasing him and then using her super speed to get in front of the car to frame him of her death, please do share it.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@zedvictor4
I'm  hoping, that you keep your AR15 well and truly locked away. 
I am also hoping you don't yell nigger and charge people holding an AR-15 as well.