Opposition to animal testing

Author: Smithereens

Total: 15
Smithereens
Debates: 2
Smithereens
Those that oppose animal research should immediately be volunteered for phase 1 clinical trials. To oppose the use of animals in research while simultaneously enjoying the luxuries said research has afforded us is plain hypocritical to the truest definition of the word.
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@Smithereens
That seems a bit extreme, but I think it is safe to safe many people who would oppose animal testing don't understand the necessity of it.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Smithereens
Those that support human testing (like you just did) deserve that far, far more. Stop spewing idiotic punishment unless you're ready to get it flipped back onto you with even more justification behind it.
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
I had a thought: what if we used clinically brain dead people who had no hope of ever regaining consciousness? This obviously wouldn't work for, say, neurological drugs (such as antidepressants), but I'm sure the results would be more accurate than what we get from testing stuff on animals. Of course, this could only be done with people who donated their bodies to science ahead of time.

The big problem I could see stemming from this would be that there simply wouldn't be enough available bodies to substitute for the huge number of animals used every year for testing.
Smithereens
Smithereens
-->
@RationalMadman
I've had 5 experimental drugs tested on me to date, and I'll be having a 6th tested soon. I also support the use of animals in the name of science so Idk WTF you're trying to say.
Smithereens
Smithereens
-->
@Swagnarok
Brain dead people are dead people. Do you mean comatose people? 
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Smithereens
Keep at it, and when one goes wrong you'll realise the issue with it.

Instead of reasoning with the opposition you want to force them to potentially permanently damage their bodies and brains with a test that produces a negative.
Smithereens
Smithereens
-->
@RationalMadman
If any goes wrong, I'll have successfully protected the public from the use of that drug. I have gotten sick from experimental drugs before, however medicine is essential to the quality of life of humanity therefore there needs to be people to test them. Right now you're communicating with me on a device containing thousands of components manufactured with millions of chemicals all of which were developed by the same processes of scientific testing. the MSDS for each chemical was developed on the basis on animal trials so if you're against the use of animals for research, show me that you mean it and toss out whatever device you're talking to me with and don't get a new one again.
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
-->
@Smithereens
So long as everything but their brains are functional (that is to say, their bodily functions are sustained by machines). That's what I mean. They are anatomically still living humans for the most part, so testing should yield results very similar to those that would be seen for actual living humans. Comatose isn't really what I meant, because people can and sometimes do wake up from comas and resume normal lives, and there is some evidence to suggest that comatose people can have a level of awareness of external stimulus (such as perhaps pain). I mean a situation where there's nothing left of their consciousness to be revived.
keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
Not everyone who opposes animal experimentation is a violent fanatic -  almost everybody opposes animal experimentation in the sense that they feel it is a 'necessary evil', with both words emphasised.

Opposition to animal tests has almost certainly led to there being much less animal suffering in labs than would otherwise be the case, which must be a good thing.

Of course it can veer into fanaticism, but that applies to anything - including being fanatically anti-anti animal experimentation as the OP demonstrates!

Smithereens
Smithereens
-->
@Swagnarok
The lower brain controls autonomic functions. You can't just disconnect someone's medulla oblongata and expect a machine to take over. We don't have that sort of technology and the person will just die. They would have to be in some sort of comatose state for the body to remain living.
Smithereens
Smithereens
-->
@keithprosser
Phase 1 clinical trials are not extreme. Toxicology studies maybe are. Both need animals of some sort, and if not non-human animals, then human animals it is!

37 days later

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
I don't use products that are tested on animals. I don't use products that need to be tested on animals.

If I do, I'm not aware of it. I go out of my way not to.

I don't use pharmaceuticals, and I use hygiene products that are not tested on animals. I do not use animal products. I don't eat animals or animal products.

I feel fine about it. 

1779 days later

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Smithereens
Life is 'full of hypocrisy,
Certainly mine anyway.
. .

What do people object to, in animal testing?
Pain and Consent, come to mind.

Though you say  animal research and Phase 1,
Which might have a different meaning.
. .

Live Tissue Training

We already kill pigs, to eat them,
Even eat them for purely 'tasty reasons, rather than health sometimes.

Though arguably we try to kill pigs used as food quickly, painlessly,
Not everyone 'does.

Well, the Live Tissue Training pigs aren't awake, are receiving anesthesia, so the articles say.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Hm, but in the end it is vague,
Given how many ways animals are used in society,
More often reoccurring value, is the 'lack of value we give animals,
Though often much value, consideration is given,
Contradictions, in the many human actions towards animals.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
Hm, or maybe 'harm, instead of pain.