Supreme Court Votes to overturn Roe v Wade Draft Shows.

Author: Reece101

Total: 324
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
Someone leaked it so that threats can be made to prevent the ruling from coming through, so it's not done yet.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
Based
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@ILikePie5
Screw bodily autonomy to own the libs. 

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
I'm thinking Republicans  just lost 2022.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Reece101
Screw bodily autonomy to own the libs. 
Cope
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@oromagi
😂
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
I'm not usually a one topic voter but I'll tell you right now, if Roe v Wade was overturned I would vote Democrat for the first time in my life and would continue to vote Democrat and actively fight against Republican candidates until it's fixed. 
thett3
thett3
-->
@oromagi
I tend to doubt that, the people who care the most about abortion are almost universally democrats at this point and highly likely to vote. Polls show that Americans support Roe v Wade by about a 2-1 margin but that’s always seemed a little misleading to me…it seemed to be more status quo bias/Americans not actually understanding the decision rather than supporting it. “Pro life” and “pro choice” identifications, which seems like a better way to measure how people feel about abortion, is evenly split and has been for a while…and the parties have had 50 years to sort themselves on this issue, very few people voting Republican don’t understand what they’re getting into on abortion. 

It gives Dems something to run on which is helpful but probably not nearly enough to change the trajectory unless inflation stops. Long term it might help Dems though because there do seem to be a lot of single issue pro-life voters who might not need feel the need to vote as much in the future but who knows 

thett3
thett3
Hilarious that this happened because of exactly one specific persons hubris. And that person, RBG, is considered a liberal hero 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
For a party that espouses Liberty and Freedom for them to call a woman's bodily autonomy a liberal principle says volumes about the LIE they perpetrate about what their party stands for. 
FLRW
FLRW

My company makes coat hangars. I could make a fortune off this.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
"The immediate impact of the ruling as drafted in February would be to end a half-century guarantee of federal constitutional protection of abortion rights and allow each state to decide whether to restrict or ban abortion. It’s unclear if there have been subsequent changes to the draft."

My first thought is, I suppose it's better if communities live by their own rules,
But I suppose there 'are rules we find so disagreeable, that even if 'we're not living by them, we insist others don't either.
Problem is the even seeming balance of power, on this moral question,
Though I suppose what the 'right answer is, is a problem as well.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I'm not usually a one topic voter but I'll tell you right now, if Roe v Wade was overturned I would vote Democrat for the first time in my life and would continue to vote Democrat and actively fight against Republican candidates until it's fixed. 
You are entitled to your vote!
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@ILikePie5
Really!! Oh thanks I wouldn't have known that if some man hadn't told me. 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Really!! Oh thanks I wouldn't have known that if some man hadn't told me. 
This is the problem
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@ILikePie5

Well, until the Supreme Court rules that women don't have the right to vote since they were made from Adam's rib.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@ILikePie5
What that some woman would actually have the gall to say to you I don't need your permission to exercise my constitutional right? 
TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
The number of people that think that bodily autonomy is some right that is inviolable is astonishing. There are numerous ways that that exact right is already limited by other factors in the US that are never challenged, but as soon as the discussion becomes one of abortion it is "but muh bodily autonomy!" without ever making even an attempt at a half-decent argument.

I really miss the DDO of 2012-2015. Sure, there were the smooth brained commenters there, but I remember seeing genuine discussion with actual attempts at argumentation in the forums. I remember people actually admitting their position was not as strong as they thought (even if they almost never fully change their views). Here? On DART? That seems like a pipedream.

I came to DART in hopes of actually finding that type of discussion because it has been missing from common discourse for years now, but it seems this place has grown to be home of as meaningless debate and discussion as everywhere else. The funny thing is how many people take this place seriously while it is such a joke. I'm done trying to put in effort here. If anyone is interested in a genuine discussion then message me, if I think you are genuine then I will engage. Otherwise, I feel like it is a wasted effort at this point.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@thett3
This is when the rubber hits the road.

Reece101
Reece101
The number of people that think abortion should be illegal is astonishing. There are numerous ways that that abortion is already limited by other factors in the US that are never challenged, but as soon as the discussion becomes one of nuance it is "but muh baby!" without ever making even an attempt at a half-decent argument.

etc..etc..etc.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
What that some woman would actually have the gall to say to you I don't need your permission to exercise my constitutional right? 

My intention was not to sound condescending…
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@TheMorningsStar
without ever making even an attempt at a half-decent argument.
what exactly is the argument against self-ownership ?
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@TheMorningsStar
The number of people that think that bodily autonomy is some right that is inviolable is astonishing. There are numerous ways that that exact right is already limited by other factors in the US that are never challenged, but as soon as the discussion becomes one of abortion it is "but muh bodily autonomy!" without ever making even an attempt at a half-decent argument.
Thus, the hypocrisy of many of those who claim to be "pro-choice." If they truly maintained a "pro-choice" position, they would extend the principle at all times. But to do this would shed light on the arbitrarily selected division at which legal "life" begins.

I really miss the DDO of 2012-2015. Sure, there were the smooth brained commenters there, but I remember seeing genuine discussion with actual attempts at argumentation in the forums. I remember people actually admitting their position was not as strong as they thought (even if they almost never fully change their views). Here? On DART? That seems like a pipedream.
It starts with you. I truly believe that in order to encourage the type of decorum and environment you intend to see flourish, the example must be set by you. Granted, the trend sometimes can be to leave thoughtless one-liners--though I think thett3 and Lemming provided thoughtful responses--but the members here can be, and are often, thoughtful in their statements despite the disagreements.

So in the spirit of that, what is your position--if any--on the subject, and why do you believe it warrants more genuine discussion than it has received?
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Reece101
The number of people that think abortion should be illegal is astonishing. There are numerous ways that that abortion is already limited by other factors in the US that are never challenged, but as soon as the discussion becomes one of nuance it is "but muh baby!" without ever making even an attempt at a half-decent argument.

etc..etc..etc.
well stated
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Athias
Granted, the trend sometimes can be to leave thoughtless one-liners
I debated with someone for over 20 pages one time. Analyzed hours of video footage. Turns out I was right. Any objective individual could see I was right. But it didn’t change that gentleman’s mind one bit because of Orange Man Bad.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Lemming
Problem is the even seeming balance of power, on this moral question,
The important ones always are.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@ILikePie5
I debated with someone for over 20 pages one time. Analyzed hours of video footage. Turns out I was right. Any objective individual could see I was right. But it didn’t change that gentleman’s mind one bit because of Orange Man Bad.
I've engaged exchanges like those, so I can understand how some may be a bit gun-shy when approaching certain individual members for discussion.

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
I'd say I agree,
Though there's 'many important moral questions that the majority agrees well enough on,

For instance,
Not killing other adult humans for instance, even if they're of a 'bit different tribe or belief,
I'd say or hope most Americans agree on that,
Though been cultures or times past, when such action has been seen as good.

I 'do agree that the disagreement, of the correctness of a moral question, makes it more relevant,
More important, that it is addressed or fought for, I suppose.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@TheMorningsStar
Your hatred of women is noted cuz that's the only reason to try to force a woman to carry a pregnancy to term.