Meltdwn: Three Mile Island { Whistlblower }

Author: ebuc

Total: 25
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
2022, Meltdown: Three Mile Island is documentary inspired by the whistle blower -- I had no recall of this info--  who appears in much of this doc.

The movie was inspired by a whistle blower, who appears in  the movie, is the basis for what could be referred to by some as likened to the deceased  ' The Rest of the Story ' { Paul Harvey  radio commentator }.

There is another very good --equally fascinating look in basement of meltdown at Chernobyl--- nuclear accident documentary I watched with Bill Kurtis in1989, ---this one is for free---  called ' Back to Chernobyl '. LINK
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@ebuc
Fusion power is the future of nuclear energy.

VANCOUVER, British Columbia, Jan. 10, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- General Fusion announced today it has successfully achieved several aggressive performance goals of a prototype system for its Fusion Demonstration Plant (FDP). The company’s plasma compression prototype, located at its Vancouver, Canada laboratory, is being used to demonstrate a critical element of its proprietary Magnetized Target Fusion (MTF) technology. This important milestone marks another significant step toward General Fusion’s goal of creating practical and commercially viable fusion power.
Commissioned in early 2021, the prototype machine drives a forceful, but precisely shaped, symmetric collapse of a large liquid vortex cavity in tens of milliseconds. The forces involved in the full-scale FDP compression system will be immense, pushing the limits of material science, fluid dynamics, and mechanical design. Achieving this milestone with the prototype significantly reduces engineering and technical risks for General Fusion’s FDP. It will use a collapsing liquid metal cavity to heat and compress plasma fuel to fusion conditions at 100 million degrees Celsius.
The idea of using a collapsing liquid metal cavity to create fusion has been around for decades, but General Fusion has been able to bring new enabling technologies such as high-speed digital control systems, additive manufacturing, and advanced composite materials to make this concept viable and to de-risk its implementation in the FDP. Driving a rapid, smooth, and spherically shaped collapse of a cavity created inside a rotating liquid has been a difficult engineering challenge that General Fusion has now demonstrated in this prototype machine. It is the pathfinder for a larger prototype being built in 2022 to validate further refinements to various engineering aspects of this technology.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@FLRW
...' This important milestone marks another significant step toward General Fusion’s goal of creating practical and commercially viable fusion power. '.....

..' Major breakthrough in Fusion Power '

..." The experiments produced 59 megajoules of energy over five seconds (11 megawatts of power).

.....This is more than double what was achieved in similar tests back in 1997.

....It's not a massive energy output - only enough to boil about 60 kettles' worth of water. But the significance is that it validates design choices that have been made for an even bigger fusion reactor now being constructed in France. ".....

ebuc
ebuc
See post #1 regarding whistle blowers comments  --who was and still is a pro-nuker---  he is a strong believer in Admiral Rickover { Father of  nuclear power before he became senile } --and who is also in the doc.-- who believed in safety as a priority and not,  profits over safety.  Ive posted link to Rickover and Birth of Nuclear Power in another thread some months back.  Wherein, Rickover makes clear, he believes nuclear power will lead to the end of humanity on Earth.

1} ..." However, Edwin Lyman, director of nuclear power safety at the Union of Concerned Scientists, notes the report also points to numerous key technologies that are in a low state of technical readiness and questions whether they can be developed in time. "Reading between the lines, I didn't feel that it gives you a lot of confidence that these time tables are realistic," Lyman say. "...

2] Lyman ..." But fusion startups are promising more than they can deliver, Lyman argues. He worries investors familiar with the high-tech economy, in which failure may not be fatal, may be taking the same high-risk attitude toward capital-intensive energy research, which is far less forgiving.

3}Lyman....."They think that they can just have an idea and get rich off the idea without actually having it fulfilled," Lyman says. Developing a fusion reactor "is not something you can do in your garage, so you have to be cautious about that mindset." Lyman also warns that fusion startups are asking the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to relax safety requirements in ways he says are not justified. "....

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@ebuc

Presently, three domestic fusion test reactors are in operation in China. These include EAST in ASIPP at Hefei, HL-2A(M) at the Southwestern Institute of Physics (SWIP) at Chengdu and J-TEXT located at Huazhong University of Science and Technology in Wuhan.

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@FLRW

..." EAST is expected to cost China more than $1 trillion by the time the experiment finishes running in June, and it is being used to test out technologies for an even bigger fusion project — the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER) — that’s currently being built in Marseille, France. "...

..." In a new world record, China's "artificial sun" project has sustained a nuclear fusion reaction for more than 17 minutes, reports Anthony Cuthbertson for the Independent. In the latest experiment, superheated plasma reached 126 million degrees Fahrenheit—that's roughly five times hotter than the sun, which radiates a scorching 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit at the surface and about 27 million degrees Fahrenheit at its core. "....

..." Astronomers studying a dead star on the edge of the Milky Way may have found evidence of a type of thermonuclear explosion that's never been seen before — and which may never be seen again. "...

..." Dubbed a "hyperburst," this gargantuan explosion appears to have occurred deep within a neutron star (the ultra-dense, compact core of a dead star) after hundreds or perhaps thousands of years of heat and pressure building up. When the explosion finally ignited in 2011, it released as much energy in about three minutes as the sun releases in 800 years, study co-author Jeroen Homan, a research scientist at Eureka Scientific in Oakland, California, told Live Science.

"For any type of thermonuclear explosion, you need very high temperatures and very high pressure," Homan said. "For a hyperburst, the temperature and pressure requirements are so high that we think it may only occur in a particular source once in 1,000 years."

9 days later

sadolite
sadolite
Three mile island did not melt down, not even close.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@sadolite
Three mile island did not melt down, not even close.

Didi you watch the doc. Sad? They said the core was partially melted and they have photos.

Similar but much in Chernolbyle and they have those photos in movie.

And the partial meltdown is a side issue from two other main points of the movie.

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@ebuc
I was alive when it happened, heard about it in real time. There was never any danger of a containment breach. Yea there  was an accident, but it demonstrated the safety of nuclear energy, not the pitfalls.  Those who cry about gas powered cars better get on board with nuclear energy because it is the only way to generate the needed energy to power all those cars and trucks. Wind and solar is a fucking joke, totally intermittent and unreliable. There is a different  nuclear power plant design developed in the 1960's called a molten salt  reactor. Way safer than current tech. It was rejected back then because it didn't allow for the production of weapons grade plutonium. Anyhow, there is no green energy future without nuclear energy. This documentary just prolongs that future by indoctrinating you to reject it.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@sadolite
I was alive when it happened, heard about it in real time. There was never any danger of a containment breach. Yea there  was an accident, but it demonstrated the safety of nuclear energy, not the pitfalls.

So why do you fear answer the question Sad? Did you watch the doc. posted? Why do you fear truth?

There was partial meltdown of the core, and there were two other main points of movie that you missed.

You probably missed these same points at time you " I was alive when it happened" as I was also and avid anti-nuker leanring about ionzing radiation, as so m any of us were doing.
sadolite
sadolite
"Why do you fear truth?" I don't fear the truth, fast breeder reactors are dangerous in their design and should stop being built, but at the same time, molten salt/thorium reactors should be built. The story behind the fast breeder reactor and why it was chosen over safer designs.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbyr7jZOllI  

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@sadolite
Actually, residents around Three Mile Island were exposed to much more radiation from the nuclear disaster than was claimed by officials, a fact that was kept from researchers and the public for years. After the Three Mile Island reactor core partially melted and radioactivity was released to the surrounding population, researchers were not allowed to investigate health impacts of higher doses because the TMI Public Health Fund, established to pay for public health research related to the disaster, was under a research gag order issued by a court. If a researcher wanted to conduct a study using money from this Fund, they had to obey two main parameters set forth by Federal Judge Sylvia Rambo, who was in charge of the Fund.
FLRW
FLRW
Studies conducted by three universities (ColumbiaPittsburgh, North Carolina Chapel Hill) on the impacts of the Three Mile Island disaster show breast, lung, leukemia and general cancer increases, some associated with proximity to the reactors, some in the pathways of the radioactive plumes. However, because of the proscriptive court order governing the TMI Public Health Fund, the two studies that were funded by it (Hatch, et al. from Columbia and Talbott, et al. from Pittsburgh) were unable to associate the disease increases in their studies to radiation exposure. These two investigators were forced to conclude “Radiation emissions, as modeled mathematically, did not account for the observed increase.” (emphasis added) Their compromised study conclusions help to prop up the continuing mirage that TMI did not damage health.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@sadolite
I don't fear the truth,....

Your in denial, as is obvious. Why you do not answer the questions I posed to you?.  Simple not complex to grasp
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@FLRW
Yet more truths that Sad will run from. The ego force is strong Luke Skywalker.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@ebuc
What truth am I running from? Fast breeder reactors are dangerous ? I already said they were.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@sadolite
What truth am I running from?

In several posts above I pointed out one or more and you ignore them. Ex you fear truth --run from it-- that there was a partial meltdown at 3 mile island. Sad--- :--( ---olite.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@ebuc
A partial melt down is not a containment breach. That is when you have to worry. Anyway what other truths am I running from? A question of my own, Are you against any form of nuclear energy because you watched this documentary? and if so How do you think all of the energy needs will be met if we as people are forced against our will to stop using natural fuel sources?
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@sadolite
Post # 7..."Three mile island did not melt down, not even close. "
 false as I stated previosly and you never addressed any of the questions  posed to you. Running scared of truth.

A partial meltdown of 3 Mile Island Core occurred. Watch the movie or keep allowing your ego to ignore truth and facts Sad :--(---olite

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@ebuc
A partial meltdown is not a complete meltdown and containment breach. Does that satisfy you? Now answer my question. Did watching this documentary make you think any form of nuclear energy is bad and if so how will future energy needs be met if the people are forced not to use natural proven energy sources?
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@sadolite
A partial meltdown is not a complete meltdown and containment breach
#7 you stated meltdown yet a partial meltdown occurred. Your still running from truth and facts and you did not answer any of my questions yet here you are asking me to answer your questions.

Get real Sadlite.
 Answer my questions first, then I can consider your nonsense, and ignoring truth and facts
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@ebuc
What are your questions verbatim?  I will answer them. Then you answer mine. Lets get to the point going into the future rather than dwelling on shit 30 years in the past that cant be changed. 
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@sadolite
Go back and find em.  Ive posted and reposted you to answer and you continually ignore. Waste of space, time and Spirit-1 mind. :--(
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@ebuc
Go find them?  OK here is what I found "two other main points of the movie."  I would be happy to answer these as best as I can if only I knew what they were. I don't want any confusion or misinterpretation about what questions I am to answer. So if you genuinely want an answer, state the question. Or are your questions just someone else's opinions.

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@ebuc
I will say this about the documentary. It violates the most important rule of a documentary, it uses deception and the emotional rantings of people who don't know what they are talking about. It also fails to point out that nuclear power plants are much safer than 40 years ago leaving the viewer to think nothing has changed and that nuclear power is not an option. It also fails to mention that there are different designs other than fast breeder reactors. All in all the video just perpetuates fear mongering to the ignorant masses who don't know anything other than what videos like this tell them to think. Those are the points I took away.