coal - ama

Author: coal

Total: 44
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@coal
Bold. A right to privacy would have serious ramifications past a simple check on the government playing politics with the economy.
coal
Debates: 6
coal
-->
@Greyparrot
Right to privacy is really what we need most.  
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@coal
You of course realize what that would do to what 90% of what the government presently does? You would have to have a serious insurrection to get that implemented.
coal
coal
-->
@Greyparrot
You of course realize what that would do to what 90% of what the government presently does?

I have a very good idea, but not obvious we are on the same page in that assumption.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@coal
I'm just imagining all the things a constitutional lawyer would define as "government intrusion"
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@coal
Who’s your favorite DART user?
coal
coal
-->
@Greyparrot
You ever read Vince Flynn novels?
coal
coal
-->
@ILikePie5
I don't know that I have a favorite user on DART, actually.  I like a handful of people and dislike a few others.  But I'm pretty neutral on most overall.  
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@coal
I like Tom Clancy. Might look at Flynn's books.
coal
coal
-->
@Greyparrot
Vince Flynn, Jack Carr and Brad Thor are all three fantastic. 
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
-->
@coal
There's a lot of pressure to conform in grad school, too.  A *lot* of pressure.  My colleagues were the pre-woke.  Identity politics had not yet come to replace classically liberal Western values, yet.  But those horsemen were on the horizon.  I remember the first time in 2012 when our department designated a "safe space" for "marginalized groups."  So called "ally" stickers and buttons started showing up.  I was reading Dostoevsky at the time, and this passage has always stood out to me: 
It seems like pre 2013/2014 or so "wokeness" did exist but it was more focused on feminism, which seems to have more or less just disappeared from the discourse in a relatively brief amount of time. I am praying that the same thing happens with the current set of identity politics, which causes unnecessary division between the races. The degree to which identity politics has fomented conflict where none existed previously really can't be overstated. I myself fell into the trap somewhat in reaction and occasionally said but mostly thought things I now deeply regret...treating individuals as anything but individuals really is something grotesque.  Seeing how casually race hate is thrown around in our current society makes me sick, and I think the left will come to regret pushing this stuff so heavily. Maybe I'm too optimistic but it seems like we are near the beginning of the end of wokeness, although I don't know what replaces it
coal
coal
-->
@thett3
Wokeness like everything else will run its course.  But the pattern will repeat, almost like some sort of eternal recurrence.

There is order and chaos.  The right's purpose is to order the world, while the left's purpose is to destroy that order on behalf of those disenfranchised by it.  While the particularities of that destruction will change, the impetus towards destruction will not.

Accordingly, there are two options.  In the first case, the right could roll back the clock socially.  This is unwise, because it will repeat history.  In the second case, the direction of the left's destructive impetus could be channeled to something else.  I don't know what that is, but doing so is better than the alternative.

I see wokeness as a response to neoconservative social ossification, which itself was an offshoot of the Moral Majority-type movement conservatism of the Reagan era, which was a response to 1970s and 1960s progressivism and the sexual revolution/third-wave feminism.  We cannot do that again.  

But from a Hegelian perspective, we're in the "thesis" stage.  That's what wokeism is.  It's their new opening bid.  A new anthesis will follow, and its beginnings are in Florida with Ron DeSantis.    
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@coal
What are your favorite foods?
coal
coal
-->
@bmdrocks21
Ribeye steaks, Mexican (traditional and Mexican-American/Tex-Mex), traditional Persian or Lebanese kebabs, middle eastern/Israeli food in general and South American food (generally, specifically from Brazil, Peru and Argentina)