NFL Mafia [Endgame]

Author: Mharman

Total: 82
Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
MAFIA WINS!!!

The split was teams with toxic fanbases being mafia. Roles were determined by what they were known for and team history- past and recent.

CLINCHED - MAFIA

Speedrace - You are the New England Patriots. A franchise known for its many Super Bowl titles, you have also become known to do anything to gain them. Thus, you are a Strongman. When committing the NK, you will negate any protective (but not avoidance) roles the night kill target may have. You win with the Mafia.

Badger - You are the Pittsburgh Steelers. A franchise known for its infamous Steel Curtain defense, you stop any offensive penetration into your plan. Thus, you are a 3x Roleblocker. Once per night, thrice per game, you may target a player and prevent them from using any power role they have for the night. You win with the Mafia.

Wylted - You are the Dallas Cowboys. A franchise known for its opposition to NFL rulings and proceedings, you unfortunately take measures that make you no different than the NFL you oppose. Thus, you are a Goon. You have no special abilities. You win with the Mafia.

Fake Claims Pool: Green Bay Packers, Cincinnati Bengals, Tennessee Titans, Philadelphia Eagles (complete trap claim).

ELIMINATED - TOWN

Danielle - You are the Indianapolis Colts. A franchise known for one of the most secretive and infamous movements of a team in league history, you haven’t found much of a difference in impact on the league since. Thus, you are a 2x Commuter. Once per night, twice per game, you may leave town and avoid any targets from power roles. You win with the Town.

Earth - You are the Buffalo Bills. A franchise known for its “Bills Mafia” fanbase, you had the privilege of watching said fans crowdfund a ton of money for a hospital in recent times. Thus, you are a Doctor. Once per night, you may target a player aside from yourself and protect them from any lethal action against them for the night. You win with the Town.

SirAnon - You are the Arizona Cardinals. A franchise known for building around experienced players in the past, you have become the retirement home of the NFL. Thus, you are a 2x Babysitter. Once per night, twice per game, you may target a player and protect them from any lethal action taken against them for the night; however, if you die the player you are protecting dies with you. You win with the Town.

MisterChris - You are the San Francisco 49ers. A franchise known for coming back from player injuries, you have an impressive five Super Bowl titles as well. Thus, you are the Lynchproof. You cannot be lynched in the day; however, this will go away in MYLO/LYLO situations. You win with the town.

Greyparrot - You are the Atlanta Falcons. A franchise known for repeated choking, with the worst of it coming in a Super Bowl. Thus, you are a Hated. You will take one vote less to lynch than normal; however, this will go away in MYLO and LYLO situations.

Oromagi - You are the Houston Texans. A franchise known for being the newest, you have yet to accomplish anything notable aside from the Bill O’Brien disaster. Thus, you are a Vanilla. You have no special abilities. You win with the Town.

Pie - You are the Chicago Bears. A franchise known for being one of the oldest teams in the NFL, you only have one Super Bowl title and oftentimes will lose to your biggest rival up North. Thus, you are a Vanilla. You have no special abilities. You win with the Town.

That2 - You are the Jacksonville Jaguars. A franchise known for being one of the worst ever, you torture your fans to the point where you had them openly protesting in clown outfits at your stadium during a game. Thus, you are a Vanilla. You have no special abilities. You win with the Town.

Whiteflame - You are the Seattle Seahawks. A franchise known for being incredibly mediocre, you had a failed dynasty because you could never give Russell Wilson a proper O-Line. Thus, you are a Vanilla. You have no special abilities. You win with the Town.

GAME ACTIONS

DP1:
Oromagi was lynched

NP1:
Danielle - Waive
SirAnon - Waive
Earth - Doctor Pie
Badger - Roleblock SirAnon
Speedrace - NK Pie

DP2:
Earth was lynched

NP2:
Danielle - Commute
SirAnon - Waive
Badger - Roleblock Whiteflame
Speedrace - NK Danielle

DP3:
Greyparrot was lynched

NP3:
Danielle - Waive
SirAnon - Waive
Badger - Roleblock Danielle
Speedrace - NK Danielle

DP4:
Whiteflame was lynched

GAME REVIEW

Given my previous games, I think this was a step in the right direction. However, there are definitely an issue I would've made different in hindsight.

So I tried stating the setup creation by starting with a power role dynamic and making it the core of the game. Then, I filled the remining roles, theme split, and characters, in that order. The dynamic I chose was "Town roles that could stop an NK and their counters". I started with a Doctor and Strongman, then gave town a Babysitter to stop an NK if they got rid of the Strongman and the Doctor had already died. Thinking the Strongman was still to strong, I added a Commuter that would avoid the Strongman entirely by leaving town. To give Mafia a chance to NK the Commuter, I gave them a Roleblocker that would stop them from leaving town; however, they had to be a bit more coordinated for this. At this point I filled in the rest. I went back to add in the Lynchproof after noticing Town would likely have a hard time figuring out the theme. I then balanced this with a Hated to make it easier for Mafia to cast suspicion on someone. I finished by adjusting characters to fit the new roles. To conclude, I do think the setup was balanced. At least on paper.

In reality, the game setup was way too repetitive. This made the game harder to read for both teams, and instead of being a game of making plays, it became a game of not making mistakes since the roles were confusing. While both teams had the opportunity to make mistakes, it lent its hand to whichever team got off to a hot start, unless a big turnaround would occur, but that didn't happen. So I leaned a pretty good game design lesson here: When picking a power role dynamic to start a game with, do NOT choose protective roles. Those roles exist mainly to protect informational roles, and therefore are NOT meant to be the centerpiece of a setup.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any thoughts, please post them; I am open to feedback (to improve my future games) and curious to see your thought processes.

GG.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Earth
@Danielle
@Wylted
@Speedrace
@badger
endgame
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Greyparrot
@ILikePie5
@oromagi
@SirAnonymous
@That2User
is 
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Castin
@Barney
@whiteflame
@Athias
@MisterChris
up 
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
Really disappointed in some of you
Speedrace
Debates: 63
Speedrace
I still got it after a year lol
Speedrace
Speedrace
Ngl I kinda played badly and got carried by Badger
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
I said it in the scum chat and I will say it here. That2user is scum mvp
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Lol wtf Danielle.
Speedrace
Speedrace
I swear you guys purposefully make me scum whenever I come back but I'm never gonna be able to prove it
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
Game was definitely scum-sided. No investigative roles essentially made the game a vanilla game relying just on behavior. Not to mention it made Badger invulnerable with his claim.

After that JOAT claim, I knew it was over. Behaviorally he seemed off, but the claim would win it for me. At least until LYLO.

I was 100% right on Barney. Wylted was scummy af DP3 too. 

Greyparrot and Chris have to be the same affiliation based on the mechanics of their role. Danielle had a safe townblock with herself, GP, Chris, and even That2.

Also, Mharman gave the Strongman role from Barney to Speed cause Barney said he wasn’t going to be as active, which is literally broken. 

Earth, good job on protecting me. You just got unlucky with the Strongman (who would’ve died if we lynched Barney and Mharman didn’t switch roles). Lynching the claimed Town Doctor was absolutely atrocious.
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@Mharman
I think it was a good game overall, not having investigative roles wasn't necessarily a bad choice and it made for a unique game

MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
I tried lol
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Speedrace
I still got it after a year lol
Face me instead of killing me everytime coward
😂💀
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Speedrace
Random.org was used to slot players into their positions.

I used the site to choose a player at random, then assign them to a role at random. Take the player and role out of the pool, then rinse and repeat.
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@ILikePie5
Shhhhhhhhh

Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@Mharman
Yeah I'm just joking lol I believe you
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
I said it in the scum chat and I will say it here. That2user is scum mvp
She’s taking a step in the right direction. I blame the other veterans over her though
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
I had a scum member by the balls too. Smh. No one ever believes Pie
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
Yeah, I definitely fucked that up. Shocked that there was absolutely no investigative role in town. The moment Badger claimed an investigative role, it gave him the perfect cover. Ballsy claim since you probably didn’t know there were no investigative roles on town.

In retrospect, I should’ve pushed for Speed’s lynch in DP3 when many of us were on the same page about him, though I think I would still have lynched most anyone (save MC) before Badger with this role setup. So it probably wouldn’t have ended well anyway.
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
There's fault to be had with town (including me) but that's mostly because we were flying totally blind. Literally luck of the draw almost. 
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@ILikePie5
Also, Mharman gave the Strongman role from Barney to Speed cause Barney said he wasn’t going to be as active, which is literally broken. 
This was before the game started (NOT during the game) and Pie made a great point to me in a chat about why it's never a good idea. So in short, I will not be doing this in the future.

From now on, what you get is what you get. Please: Do not ask me to let you switch roles with your teammate ever again.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@MisterChris
There's fault to be had with town (including me) but that's mostly because we were flying totally blind. Literally luck of the draw almost. 
The later in the game we got, the worse it was. If we got Barney/Wylted early on it would’ve been a lot easier
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@ILikePie5
Yeah, I’ll admit that we lost the thread on Wylted in DP2 and when picked it up in DP3, we let his claim sway us into a later lynch. Shouldn’t have happened.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
You guys knew I was scum before I started the game. This is what frustrates me when I am town. Town talks themselves out of lynches. That's why when people tell me 

"No need to rush the lynch, let's get their claim"

It pisses me off. Yes there is a need to rush lynches, so town does not start hamstering and finding excuses for why scum is not scum
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@badger
I was beginning to suspect you with the way your claimed role overlapped with Wylted. But, suspicions are useless if not followed by action.
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
This type of setup put me at a huge disadvantage. I'm terrible at reads in any game, so with no investigative roles, I just didn't know what to do.
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
The Earth lynch was definitely my bad. I knew I would make the wrong decision, and I did.
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@whiteflame
Yeah, I definitely fucked that up. Shocked that there was absolutely no investigative role in town. The moment Badger claimed an investigative role, it gave him the perfect cover. Ballsy claim since you probably didn’t know there were no investigative roles on town.
We kinda did, I read you as vanilla and Danielle as Commuter (I thought she was hider but same difference) for quite a bit
Speedrace
Speedrace
We were supposed to RB and Strongman Danielle DP2 because I was certain she was hider but badger convinced me to RB WF instead b/c he was scared WF was an investigative role

All's well that ends well though