I’ve Started The Keto Diet Within The Past Week.

Author: Reece101

Total: 60
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
I’ve lost 2.4kgs or about 5 pounds for you imperialists. Overall weight now is about 90kgs or 198lbs

RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
I will tell you what I told Wylted, it is absolutely toxic and a horrible diet. Your brain is going to barely get any nutrition and stomach and mouth will be so acidic it can long-term damage your ability to digest foods, changing the structure of your body to become resistance to protein.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Soon the following will begin for you:

constipation.
  • fatigue.
  • low blood sugar.
  • nausea.
  • vomiting.
  • headaches.
  • a low tolerance for exercise.

Those are just the short-term ones.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Neal Barnard, MD, FACC, an adjunct professor of medicine at the George Washington University School of Medicine and a co-author of the study, tells Verywell that keto diets contain the types of foods that are associated with cancer risks. 

A keto diet emphasizes the consumption of animal products while limiting many nutrient-rich vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. As a result, keto is low in many vitamins, minerals, and fiber. 

Restricting carbohydrates prior to or during pregnancy is linked with increased risks of birth defects and gestational diabetes, the researchers found. Since 40% of pregnancies in the United States are unplanned, a low-carbohydrate diet is considered risky for anyone who could become pregnant.3

Barnard adds that most human beings are prone to risks associated with a highly restrictive keto diet. “If a cat eats meat every day for the cat’s whole life, she’ll never get a heart attack,” he says. “If you eat meat for a week, your cholesterol levels are going to go up in many cases and you may get heart disease.”
Reece101
Reece101
@RationalMadman Uncancel me if you’re going to reply to my stuff. 

I’m not on a strict keto diet. 

for example I have a massive fruit and vanilla ice cream smoothie once or twice a week.
Fruits being banana, mango, red papaya, dragonfruit, pineapple, strawberry, black berry, blue berry and other fruits I may have on the table or in the fridge.

I mix almond milk with regular milk.

I’ve been mostly skipping breads, fizzy drinks, potato, sweet potato, savories, etc. The usual.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
and all your 'energy' is coming from making your body go through what a person experiencing severe stress and starvation undergoes where their body begins to feed on its fat reserves. 

It also doesn't make sense you filling on fruit as ketosis happens more efficiently in an environment of heavy protein intake dominating the diet.

It is in a way good to be having some fruit so at least the fructose is helping your body 'cope' but note that fructose is a source of energy that doesn't assist a complex human brain nearly a well as glucose does, you will literally be experiencing your brain slowing down soon if you haven't already and memory depletion etc.
Reece101
Reece101
@RationalMadman Uncancel me ffs.

It’s a good thing I like my meats too. Though I should probably catch up on my fish.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Reece101
Balanced diet + quality exercise.

Faddy diets are marketed for lazy people.

Lazy overweight people are a big consumer group, constantly targeted by marketing opportunists such as fast food retailers and faddy dieticians.

Reece101
Reece101
-->
@zedvictor4
Some people diet hard, others diet smart.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
I have started a lack of diet within the last day. I have lost 2 pounds or 0.9 kg in in the process.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Intelligence_06
A lack of diet? Meaning you’re drinking and eating nothing? 

Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Reece101
Update: I just ate because I am hungry. What I meant was that essentially I just forgot to eat breakfast today. The -0.9kg was also because of me taking a massive dump, well mostly, since I didn't workout in the last 24 hours.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Intelligence_06
It’s always good the weigh yourself after a decent dump lol

Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Reece101
Shitting on the scale is too hard to clean up lol 

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Reece101
Some people don't diet at all.

I've been 148 pounds for as long as I can remember.

Simply down to a healthy diet and regular exercise.

Faddy diets are never smart.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Intelligence_06
Scat is a niche humour topic.
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Reece101
I’ve done keto a number of times, lose 15-30 pounds each time. The biggest lesson I’ve learned to making it work are avacados. You need a certain percentage of fat in your diet to make it work, at least one avocado a day will help tremendously to get the fat you need without overdoing it on the protein.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Double_R
Yeah I had some avocado with low carb tortillas/burritos the other night. Though from what you’re saying not nearly enough.
I need to figure out how to properly make cloud bread.

ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Reece101
I’ve lost 2.4kgs or about 5 pounds for you imperialists. Overall weight now is about 90kgs or 198lbs
How long did it take you?
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@ILikePie5
Almost a week.

coal
Debates: 6
coal
-->
@Reece101
how tall are you
coal
Debates: 6
coal
-->
@Reece101
for example I have a massive fruit and vanilla ice cream smoothie once or twice a week.
Fruits being banana, mango, red papaya, dragonfruit, pineapple, strawberry, black berry, blue berry and other fruits I may have on the table or in the fridge.
None of this is keto, but if you cut out dairy you'd be a lot better off.  My suggestion is you avoid higher fructose/glycemic impact fruits like bananas, stick with fruit that has more fiber in it, like berries.  

You should also consider salads.  Leafy greens with cheeses, nuts, oil/vinegar based dressing (or only those items) and variety of fiber sources.  Try to keep net carbs under 50 or so per day.  

I mix almond milk with regular milk.
Avoid this.  Almond milk has an incredibly high amount of sugar and/or sugar alcohol, which destroys the whole point (from a biochemical perspective) of doing keto in the first place.  The point is to keep net carbs very low.  If you must consume a liquid dairy product, try whole milk unsweetened kefier.  Not only is it delicious (kind of like heavy cream, tbh.), it is also good for you and your microbiome (the preservation of which is the whole point I am suggesting you eat fruits and veggis).  

I’ve been mostly skipping breads, fizzy drinks, potato, sweet potato, savories, etc. The usual.
Avoid all grains.  Rice, potatoes, bread, pasta, potatoes and the like.  Those are bad.  Those are what throw your body from "fat burning" mode back into "fat storing mode," b/c of their immediate glycemic impact and high carb content. 

USBurning
USBurning
I did Keto and zero carb for over a year. My blood-pressure became dangerously high, my cholesterol was super high, I became hypocalcemic (low calcium presence in blood) and I started having random anxiety attacks. I only ate red meat, avocados, water and table salt.

When  the symptoms became unbearable, I switched to a whole-food, low glycemic plant diet. Blood pressure normalized within a week, cholesterol dropped to near normal levels, and anxiety disorder went into remission.

My personal belief is that keto is an adaptive state for scarcity, and not a suitable long term diet. Be very careful. Have your labs drawn. Monitor your biometrics. Some people do fine on this diet, other people react poorly. The problem is, many of the damaging side-effects are muted until your body loses the ability to compensate for the imbalances.

For example, the reason that you lose a lot of weight quickly at the start, is because your metabolic pH drops and you become acidotic. To compensate, you body draws calcium from the bones as an acid buffer and you increase urine output as your body attempts to get rid of the acid through urine. The first 10 lbs is literally fluid, not fat. You have to drink plenty of water, because the pH compensation is a continuous process. You can injure your kidneys if you don't monitor your fluid status.
USBurning
USBurning
-->
@coal
Unsweetened almond milk is a perfectly fine low glycemic product. You can make your own at home if you want to control for chemical additives.  You can buy the almonds in bulk at 60 USD/10lbs. Makes about 30 bottles of milk. I use it for coffee creamer.
sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
Its not what you eat, its how much you eat. Science shows that food intake A couple of steps above starvation is the best amount. The body uses all the nutrients available in the food you eat. Its also good to not eat for 3 days twice a year. Not eating for just one whole day does wonders. I've heard it called the "rat diet" I live by it and eat whatever I want.  I have weighed the same amount give or take 5 pounds since I was 25. Being active of course is an absolute must. My job takes care of that. 

49 days later

PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Reece101
Are you still a fat ass or did you continue the diet?
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@RationalMadman
  • fatigue.

Not true you actually have so much energy on the keto diet you can get away with less sleep and general rest

• low blood sugar.

Well yes, but your body converts fat to glucose for a more sustainable energy without the peaks and valleys with other diets

• nausea.
  • vomiting.
  • headaches.

This is true, but usually is because of lack of sodium intake. This is referred to as keto flu and is solved by ordering keto-ade packets to add to water or creating your own keto-ade, combing flavoring, potassium (use no salt for this) and pink Himalayan salt. Table salt if you are not salting your food and maybe some Epsom salt as well. 

• a low tolerance for exercise

You'll have an extremely high tolerance for cardiovascular exercise. You will have a harder time building muscle because of the lack of carbs though. After people lose weight on a keto diet, if they want to build muscle, I suggest using times carb targeting prior to work outs. So maybe chug a regular protein shake which are usually carb heavy, or if your preworkout is not carb heavy enough have a glass of orange juice.

It will take you out of ketosis, but overall you will still be in a state of ketosis for the majority of time. 

PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@RationalMadman
A keto diet emphasizes the consumption of animal products while limiting many nutrient-rich vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. As a result, keto is low in many vitamins, minerals, and fiber. 
Fiber is not necessary in an all meat diet. As far as minerals and vitamins are concerned, you not only get more say in a pound of beef than you would in a salad, but there are nutrients not found in anything but meat. For example a lot of branch chain amino acids.

Restricting carbohydrates prior to or during pregnancy is linked with increased risks of birth defects and gestational diabetes,
Maybe if the pregnancy isn't found out soon enough it can affect it, but I have found studies like these usually are looking at the people with 30% carb intake vs what they consider a normal 50% carb intake and calling 30% low. 30% would not be considered ketogenic and the people who get 50% of their calories from carbs have a lot less processed food in their diet normally. 

If you eat meat for a week, your cholesterol levels are going to go up in many cases and you may get heart disease.”

Your LDL does significantly increase on a law carb diet. Cholesterol is not the only factor in determining risk of a heart attack and researchers have found other markers of how likely you are to have a heart attack go down, so your overall risk chances are reduced despite the higher cholesterol 
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@RationalMadman

It also doesn't make sense you filling on fruit as ketosis happens more efficiently in an environment of heavy protein intake dominating the diet.
Actually heavy fat. The focus on lowering carbs is not good enough if you are getting the same amount of your macros from fat. Lowering carbs without replacing them can result in what's called rabbit starvation.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@zedvictor4
Faddy diets are never smart
Stupid. This guy through keto can reduce calories and the amount of his diet consisting of processed foods, while increasing his consumptions of healthy foods like avocado, eggs and chicken. What is faddy about any of those things?