I got a new laptop!!

Author: Outplayz

Total: 69
Outplayz
Debates: 0
Outplayz
It's a Asus zenbook... a 1300 dollar laptop half touchpad... it's awesome and i got away with spending just over 700 bucks for it. I am a madman in getting the best deals. But in any case, it's an i7... my first i7 laptop or computer. My main desktop computer is an i5. My desktop is my gaming computer and does perfectly fine with the games i play: Overwatch, CS:Go, League and hearthstone. So... i don't know what the advantages of an i7 really is... So, thought i'd ask. What cool things can i do or should i know about an i7?  
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Outplayz
I can tell you this: it's nothing to do with quality of the particular game you're using at the time. It's entirely about handling multiple at once.

Once you comprehend this, the rest will make sense.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@RationalMadman
I can tell you this: it's nothing to do with quality of the particular game you're using at the time. It's entirely about handling multiple at once.
So since i'm not using it for games. Do you mean i can render a video, search online, have a youtube video up, etc... without tampering with performance? And by performance i mean speed. 

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Outplayz
as long as your fans dont get clogged up (which is increased importance with i7 as it makes them spin faster and the whole system working harder) the answer is yes. The amount more you can do at once is EXTREMELY increased.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Outplayz
Do note, however, internet bandwidth/speed matters a lot to pull off that kind of stuff. If it's slow it's not proof against me, it's your internet Mb being 'eaten up' by family or just generally being bad in your area/house.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@RationalMadman
Oh good to know. I heard the fans on my specific model could be better. But, as it is now... they are absolutely silent. I barely hear them when i put my ear next to it. Which is suppose to be a cool feature of this laptop, but also they told me to be aware of the potential to overheat if i am really pushing it. To be honest, i don't do anything strenuous with my laptop. It's more for work but i thought maybe to download some music editing and photo editing software bc why not. I got a powerful computer so i might as well use some of that power.   
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Outplayz
Yes. To be clear it does let you game on 'hardcore-RAM-demanding' games. When I said it will barely increase the game quality it's that the increase there is slight. If you're single-program-running, i5 can game league etc just fine, the key is in the ability to run things in the background very efficiently.

The way the chip is designed is with far more 'intermediary paths' so that if there's a way to do something by doing one thing that helps both programs run, that rarely happens with i5 but does with i7 due to more logic-gate-paths to take in deciding how to process the system's demands.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@RationalMadman
I know very little about computers... well, when it comes to the inner workings. But most of that made sense. I play music in the background when i'm gaming so that's as much as i push my i5... so that's why i think i don't notice any worse performance since i'm not pushing it much or downloading anything in the background. 

What is an advantage of the touchpad mode of my comp? Anything other than being able to flip it and press on the screen? 

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Outplayz
Touchpad you basically paid for the touchpad... If you had having a keyboard and mouse and enjoy it as well as some elderly people who find it hard to aim the mouse in general and find it far less frustrating to aim their finger on the screen and tap etc, there's no other benefit there.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
If you hate not had**

8 days later

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Outplayz
So how satisfied are you with it now that you've had a few days to take it around the block?
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@ethang5
I really like it. It goes from off to home screen in like 15 seconds. I should time it bc it's fast. I haven't had any problems with speed. That's been fast even when i do research and have a bunch of stuff open. I also still haven't heard the fan. That thing is silent. The touch pad for the pointer is also awesome bc i get sweaty hands. Sometimes the mouse won't move bc it's too sweaty, but with one wipe of my shirt it's good. This is better than my last one since i had to always have a napkin with me bc nothing else worked to wipe it down. The sound is awesome. I wish it was a bit louder bc i'm a knuckle head and like to hurt my ears, but i guess it's a good thing i can't blast my ears. My last laptops speakers blew out bc i always blasted it. Hmmm what else. I guess that's all i can think of right now. It's a pretty sweet laptop. 

9 days later

whatthef
whatthef
-->
@Outplayz
You over paid... 
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@whatthef
I overpaid when regularly with tax everyone else pays 14/15k for it? Okay... It would make more sense if you mean i overpaid bc ASUS isn't as good as other laptops... then sure, that's your opinion but i would currently disagree bc it's working more than perfectly for me atm. 
whatthef
whatthef
-->
@Outplayz
It new. It should be working fine.

Just wait until 2 months from now. It going to start freezeling your PC and  your ram will overload, so your PC will start going slower. 

Then you will be Looking back and say wow that guy from da was right...

You should be thanking me... :)   For this lovely advise I'm giving out...

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@whatthef
Your advice sounds like a guess if you aren't more specific. In which case, i'll take it into consideration and think of upgrades to keep from that happening. So, why is it this will happen? Is it bc the fans are primitive? I know that at least. Why else do you think that will happen? 
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Outplayz
I wonder if you've already installed the anti-virus. The computer lags very often when the antivirus is running in the background.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@IlDiavolo
I use windows defender, haven't added any extra anti-virus. I do have ad block on so that will block most cookies from surfing on the web. I think those two together should be enough. I might download CCleaner a little later on to clean up stuff running in the background. I don't think i need it yet though. 
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Outplayz
And how much your laptop rates according to Windows? I also have an i7 computer, but it's a desktop, and it rates 7.3 out of 10. I would like to compare it with yours and see how I can increase this rate.

Il Diavolo

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@IlDiavolo
I don't know how to search that... tell me how to find out and i'll tell you. 
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@IlDiavolo
I looked up a Youtube video for finding out system rating, so if this is what you are talking about i'll post my scores:

CPUScore: 9.1
D3DScore: 9.9
DiskScore: 5.9
GraphicsScore: 8
MemoryScore: 9.1
WinSATAssessmentState: 1
WinSPRLeve1: 5.9

So if it is the average of all that i'm probably around higher 7 or or low 8. 

My question is do these numbers deteriorate over time? Seems like i got some good scores. 

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@IlDiavolo
You got me curious about this so i researched. I guess your WEI score is meaningless. Bc in my case, it's the score from the weakest link which is my Disk score. That's bc it's just stock so i guess it isn't high bc of that. But everything else is pretty high. I actually bought it for the graphics and speed, so i am more glad those two are high than the overall WEI score. But in any case, i can just upgrade the disk score if i ever need it, but i don't see any reason i would need to since this isn't my gaming computer. 
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Outplayz
Open the explorer and look for "Computer", right-click and choose "Properties", you will see information about your computer. Assuming that Win10 is the same as Win7 (this one is the best of a bad bunch, that is why I still use it. I would use WinXP but it has no more support), you will see a sort of rating that gives Windows to your computer.

When I bought my desktop the rate was around 6 and I couldn't believe it because it was an i7 computer and cost me a lot. Then I researched a bit and found out that it's not just the processor that is in play when it comes to rate. So I started to upgrade several features in my computer, like the video card which cost me also a lot, I changed my hard disk for a SSD hard disk, put more RAM. I managed to increase the rate to 7.3, getting a computer of $2000.

I would like to know then that this is not a rip-off. Let me know you rate please!! Lol.

Il Diavolo.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@IlDiavolo
Windows 10 is different in how you find the rate. My rates are the ones i posted. 

CPUScore: 9.1
D3DScore: 9.9
DiskScore: 5.9
GraphicsScore: 8
MemoryScore: 9.1
WinSATAssessmentState: 1
WinSPRLeve1: 5.9

The technical rate it would read for me is 5.9. Bc the rate is off the lowest score. My Disk Score is what is the lowest so that's my rate. But if you notice, the rest of them are monster rates. All way above average. But since my disk score is low... my rate would read as what that number is bc it just goes off the lowest number. So, if i brought that up to an 8 or 9. My rate would probably be 9. 

IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Outplayz
You're righ, mate. Win7 and Win10 rates are different. Win7 gives a 7.9 as the highest score, which means mine is not that bad.

Processor: 7.7
Memory (RAM): 7.7
Graphics: 7.3
Gaming Graphics: 7.3 
Primary Hard Disk: 7.9

As you said, the rate is based on the lowest number, so in my case it is 7.3 out of 7.9, but still the rest of features are really high. What I don't understand is why your hard disk rates low, when laptops are supposed to have SSD hard disks which are commonly quick.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@IlDiavolo
I don't know if it has to do with speed or disk space. I think it has to do with disk space, bc i wouldn't expect it to have a large one when you buy it stock. 

13 days later

Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
-->
@Outplayz
Can it run Pong?
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mharman
I think so. That just might be a little too much. 

16 days later

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Outplayz
I have used 2010 HP Win 10{ YAY! } 

I followed command instructions{ thanks } and looks like I averaged a score of 8.

Also have 2010 Unibody Macmini, 10.11 El Capitan

Defender
Defender
-->
@Outplayz
First of all, congratulation on your new computer. I hope you are doing well with it!

Secondly, onto the issue between i5 and i7 core. Obviously, i7 had been equipped with better technology and protocols. However, the two cores have massive difference. For example, I will presume that your current main computer is equipped with a 8th/9th generation CoffeeLake version and a 8600K type.  That version is currently stronger than most of the Intel i7 Cores. Despite not having as much cache as the i7 cores, it is strong enough to run almost as quick as the i7 cores.

Now, Asus Zenbook: Absolutely great laptop, ranking to be the 4th Gaming PC of 2018. However, 2 problems. Horrible Customer Support and the pay for shipping. Now, I have 2 Asus laptop myself, sent them back to the factory for 2 times already due to the battery problem. Every single time, I have to pay for the shipping fee. Since I am living in China, it takes quite a huge amount. (118 Chinese yuan). Secondly, it takes a long time for the customer support to reply. In fact, the speed is quite quick in China comparing to US. (However, still too long according to Chinese supplier standard, might take up to 30 to 40 mins to reply)

In order to talk about some cool things you can do in the future, I would actually suggest to save up and build a custom computer. Be careful though. I will give you my current gaming PC's main stat.

CPU: Intel i7-9700K(got it in 2018 as soon as it's out. Replaced my old Intel i5-8600K)(cost: $539 dollar on canadian amazon. $408.49 on US amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra( interesting choice from me though. The majority would have chosen ASRock)
Graphic Card: Nvidia GeForce RTX..... (NO.) It's actually the Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan V.( Of course it would be this. If I am going to spend at least 1000 dollar on graphic card, why not get the best?)(currently 1500 US dollar on NewEgg)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB DDR4-3200(I do want to save some money on memory. I know that it's pretty important for running multiple games. However, since I am streaming, I need the best Graphic card budget possible.)
Primary storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Pretty good, however, I am still trying to find another one since this one is from Samsung.)
Power supply: EVGA Supernova 850 P2 Platinum (The most powerful one I have used yet. Regrettingly, this power supply have yet to release a titanium supply.)
Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D SE (Not expensive at all. In fact, quite cheap comparing to the rest. only 157 US dollar.)
CPU cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R RGB(Obviously, there are other CPU cooler. Regardless of the superior fan forms and others, I love the creative AIO liquid cooler.)

Total Cost for assembling that: (Remember I spend about 4 years saving up all the money to get them): 3128.42 US dollar.

I am not showing off. In fact, many of us in the current custom-computer circle are mostly poor. (I got my computer at about 150 thousand yuan. Thus, still a good deal.) Currently, this set really isn't so expensive. In fact, with a minimal knowledge, you can simply take down the GPU and change it. I build it the entire computer by myself and got some setting change from a friend of mine. You can of course choose to get pre-build computers from all the suppliers.