What do you find unattractive about todays beauty standards?

Author: Reece101

Total: 83
Yuga
Debates: 4
Yuga
Belly piercings 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Ehyeh
It's what all people do, all the time.

It's how we function.

Data in, data assessment, discriminate.

All in the blink of an eye.

So, society might tell us that this it is wrong to discriminate

And we might assess this data and concur.

Nonetheless, we will always make discriminatory judgements about others.

Even our nearest and dearest.

So what chance strangers.

Ehyeh
Debates: 31
Ehyeh
-->
@zedvictor4
Something being natural doesn't make it moral. It's natural for male geese to rape female geese to the point where their penis's works like a padlock opener. At best, all you can say is that humans have an innately judgemental attitude towards all things they come across, based on their own arbitrary scales of goodness. Although I disagree, that the natural state of humans is one of such judgemental pose.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Ehyeh
I admire your knowledge of Anseriformes.

And morality is a variable concept.

As is good and bad.

And discrimination is a survival mechanism.

See and hang around.

Or see and beat a hasty retreat.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Ehyeh
What would a non-arbitrary manner be?
Ehyeh
Ehyeh
-->
@Lemming
To judge by the content of someone's character. 
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Ehyeh
Character is part of beauty I suppose,
Is it less arbitrary though?
Ehyeh
Ehyeh
-->
@Lemming
I would say its less arbitrary, yes. Someone's character is far closer to what we identify with the "self" as opposed to our form. People strive for virtue, no one ever really considers beauty in of itself a virtue. This means above all else humans value the contents of our character, our moral beliefs over our form. If we valued form over value we would all decide it worthwhile to commit suicide before old age strikes.

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Ehyeh
Interesting view,
But I'd argue we put form above purpose plenty in life.

We fill magazines and movies full of good looking good acting people,
We put art in galleries,
Paint houses varieties of colors,

Myself I'm a materialist,
Though it's not wrong to place importance on ones 'inner self,
Outer self is part of us as well,

Often traumatizing to people if they 'suddenly lose their looks,
Aging's a slow process,
But loss of face in burn, acid, gunfire,
A cause for discomfort.

People wear makeup, dye their hair even into old age, get facelifts,
People place great importance on outer beauty I'd say.
Ehyeh
Ehyeh
-->
@Lemming
In all the cases you cited, form played a purpose. It could be argued we could put purpose into maintaining/cultivating a certain form. Although I am not arguing that form should take precedence over purpose, I am arguing that form has no virtue in and of itself, but good character does. What i said has little to do with purpose. Why is it that religious people don't believe the body is actually them but simply a vehicle? It seems apparent that, intuitively, we believe we're IN our body, but not necessarily fully the body itself. In this same sense, we intuitively believe and feel that we have free will. Whether the science says this is likely or not is a different matter. I more so prefer to think humans prefer purpose in virtue ( good being/character) as opposed to purpose in form.
Ehyeh
Ehyeh
-->
@Lemming
People may put value into their form, yet they themselves which do that. Wouldn't claim it "virtuous" to do so. Just as a thief may recognise he's a thief, and therefore not virtuous. People like this are those who are like smokers who say they know smoking is bad for them, but continue to do so despite knowing this fact. Many people can know the world with the mind, yet knowing the world with the heart is a different matter. We can know things with the mind and believe them, yet not feel like they're true, and therefore become incapable on acting what we recognise to be the right course of action (like quitting smoking).
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Ehyeh
Thinking past a post,
I suppose I wouldn't consider beauty a moral 'virtue,
But it 'can be a boon to possess, depending on one's circumstance in life,
Or a disadvantage, again depending on one's circumstance.

For 'purpose in form,
I'd suppose some people find a body created to be 'hardy and useful, beautiful,
Though I don't mean 'show muscle, but a body able to 'live best in it's situation.

I don't really 'mind beauty not having a 'moral 'virtue, much myself,
Though it 'might be argued it possesses one, in it's alleviating effect on life, relaxation, appreciation of existence,
Hm, maybe that's not 'moral 'virtue though.

Still, a sunset, sunrise, stars, moon, ocean, river, all have beauty,
Hm, have 'uses as well I suppose,
But again, I'm of the opinion that beauty itself, regardless of the object associated can have a use,
But 'use isn't the reason we appreciate them so much is it? (Talking to self)

. . .

Sure I'd agree people often have the idea that they are not their body itself,
And I suppose there's 'some truth in that view,
Burn my face, place me in an iron lung, 'I am still there,
Though we identify one 'still by their appearance and body's ability,
We say person A can/can't do this or that,
Because of their material possession.

. . .

I 'would agree/think myself, that people would think more of a person who appreciates others based on who they are or of what they are capable, that 'just their looks.
'Usually. .

Is odd to design a ship for looks, yet it cannot sail,
Build a house that looks nice, and falls down,
Choose a friend who is beauty, but stabs you in back.

Still depends on circumstance,
Though I don't feel like going on about that.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Lemming
As a species we adapt to design and development.

Material evolution and our part therein.

Though we still continue to appreciate the unchanging.

Ehyeh
Ehyeh
-->
@Lemming
There is no virtue in having a well-adapted form. There is virtue in the effort, discipline, and mindset one has to have to have to create/maintain a good form, is what I'd say. People are naturally biased towards attractive people, yet no one says this discriminatory part of our minds is virtuous or righteous, even if it serves an evolutionary adaptive and helpful purpose. Although, we seem to pretty much agree.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@zedvictor4
@Ehyeh
I 'do like the idea of art lasting longer, stone, metal,
Though a lot of wood art looks nice too.

Some places made of wood, are impressive in their renewal of structures.
"Ise Shrine in Japan, which has been rebuilt every 20 years in adjacent sites for over 1,400 years. This shrine is made of ephemeral materials like wood and thatch, but its symbiotic relationship with the Shinto belief and craftsmen has kept a version of the temple standing since 692 CE"

True, the well adapted form was a bit more of my own side thought, than the argument of inner beauty that you put forth.

@AnyOneWhoHappenedToBe Reading
I don't really mind makeup 'that much, often makeup is rather attractive,
Though I still don't think my arguments earlier wrong.

Of post  #9, I think there's an argument to be made for authenticity and attraction/appreciation,
People are sometimes disappointed if they learn exhibit in museum is replica, when first they thought genuine, or they mistake satellite for a shooting star.

Also of an earlier statement, while I 'do appreciate muscle for use not show,
I also like muscle for show,
A lot or a little, what people like can be many, even at both ends of a spectrum.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Lemming
For me.

A toned body is attractive.

Whereas an over toned body becomes freakish.

And an untoned body becomes uglier and uglier, the more it develops.
TWS1405
Debates: 0
TWS1405
-->
@Ehyeh
You would be correct on the power of makeup for unattractive women...

Basti123
Basti123
-->
@Reece101
Very big tatoos, extreme plastic or cosmetic surgery and the abuse of makeup. I'm also not a big fan of very long nails
AnnaB17
Debates: 2
AnnaB17
-->
@zedvictor4
@Ehyeh
@TWS1405
What do you think about women who are intelligent but wear makeup because they don't think they are pretty. women who are thick and work out but never seem to bulk up. what about women who can cook, and clean, and be supportive, and willing to do what ever you need them to because they want to be there and be not only supportive but acknowledging the fact that no one is perfect and we all need help. give  me you definition of your ideal woman all of you because if you guys are not willing to admit the fact that not all women are pretty and fit into societal standards but they try their best to look pretty in a way that they know how then what is the definition of pretty because being pretty and being beautiful are completely different things. women try their best to look pretty but a lot of men reject them because they are either not skinny enough or are not pretty enough or just don't fit the standards of the modern man. so if you tell me what your definitions of pretty beautiful what makes a pretty or beautiful woman not just according to societal standards i think i would better benefit and understand what you are saying.
Ehyeh
Ehyeh
-->
@AnnaB17
I personally don't dislike makeup on women. I think it can look nice. Overall, I think girls should do what makes them feel the most confident in themselves (to the extent that it is not self-destructive). It's hard for me to describe what I'd like physically as there isn't a set "ideal" for me. What I like physically varies greatly depending on the particular person I'm most interested in at that moment. If she has black hair, I prefer that, if she has brown hair, I prefer that, and so on. Same with most other traits, even my preference for things like weight can vary greatly (up to what I'd consider a reasonable extent). Its important for a woman to feel secure in the way she looks, even if she's chooses to wear makeup. 
-
Personality wise, I don't have a preference for introverts or extroverts or stuff like that. I care more about the virtues of the heart and their perspectives on the world and themselves. Simply someone who seeks to be as good as they possibly can be. always self-reflective.

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Tattoos on the neck and face. Ear gauges. I despise ear gauges.  
TWS1405
TWS1405
-->
@AnnaB17
What do you think about women who are intelligent but wear makeup because they don't think they are pretty.

If they are intelligent, then they wouldn't have self-esteem issues where their looks are concerned. 

women who are thick and work out but never seem to bulk up.
Actions speak louder than words.

what about women who can cook, and clean, and be supportive, and willing to do what ever you need them to because they want to be there and be not only supportive but acknowledging the fact that no one is perfect and we all need help.
 Marriage material.

give  me you definition of your ideal woman all of you because if you guys are not willing to admit the fact that not all women are pretty and fit into societal standards but they try their best to look pretty in a way that they know how then what is the definition of pretty because being pretty and being beautiful are completely different things.
Long run-on sentence with little coherence. 

women try their best to look pretty but a lot of men reject them because they are either not skinny enough or are not pretty enough or just don't fit the standards of the modern man. so if you tell me what your definitions of pretty beautiful what makes a pretty or beautiful woman not just according to societal standards i think i would better benefit and understand what you are saying.

There are social standards, social-psychological standards, and there are individual standards. The latter being the weakest and less defined. Some will just screw anything with a heartbeat. 

Anthropology has demonstrated time and again from time immoral that women look for the strongest among men to provide offspring. When I say strongest, it is not physical strength alone. Mental. Financial. Mental. She needs someone to provide for her and their children, so their children have an increased survival and productive rate going forward. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
She needs someone to provide for her and their children, so their children have an increased survival and productive rate going forward. 
LOL. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@AnnaB17
My wife has been my ideal woman for 38 years now.

She doesn't wear make up, she isn't disfigured with extensive tattoos and piercings, she looks after herself and has a responsible attitude towards diet. She is intelligent and caring.

After that my two daughters are also my ideal women, modern versions of the above.

I would suggest that there is pretty and then there is pretty ridiculous....Which is more the point I was making.

But I'm an old geezer.
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
All of these are regardless of gender or sex tho some I have only seen in one
Drawn on eyebrows above your grown in eyebrows (only seen it once but yikes)
Hair poking out of your nose/ears
the prison pants look (showing a bunch of underwear on purpose)
hollow gauges ESPECIALLY in the lip
Perfect hairless bodies. shaving is not worth the time for everything but the face. Trimming is fine everywhere else imo
Vaping (yes I know this isn't technically beauty, but you don't look cool when you do it) vaping is a great way for smokers to handle their nicotine addiction without getting lung cancer (i have done literally zero research into vaping health risks but there's no way they're worse than cigarettes in the U.S) but teens are just handicapping themselves by doing it.
And finally...
This is a rant but
WHY CAN'T MEN WEAR MAKEUP?!!
And don't say it makes them look feminine. You could wear makeup to accentuate masculine features too. It's like there's this expectation that women need to spend 2 hours getting ready in the morning and men should walk out the door after a single pass with a comb.
Vici
Debates: 11
Vici
The attraction to bodily piercings. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Nose rings.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Greyparrot
Ok. Not sure why I was tagged but ok.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
@Greyparrot
@Vici
Tattoos on the neck and face. Ear gauges. I despise ear gauges.

The attraction to bodily piercings. 

Nose rings.

Totally agree. There is a miasma of falseness around them all that I don't perceive with clothing style. I don't have to believe in god to see that your body is an incredible and naturally beautiful thing. Thinking you can improve it with artistic whims and wounds communicates that you don't agree.

Then again they would tell me I simply don't understand, and I can't argue that. Aesthetics is not intrinsically subjective but the symbolism can vary to the point of creating contradictions.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
To me it shows a broken person who doesn't have a clear purpose. It's an outward sign of inner turmoil.