Happy National American Indian Heritage Day. (This year Nov. 23rd)

Author: secularmerlin

Total: 14
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@secularmerlin
their heritage is all but gone :(
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
their heritage is all but gone :(

Spider Rock in Canyon DeChelly --Navajo res.--  has not yet fallen so there is still hope.

Some North America indians are a part/involved  with the 501{c}3, one million acre{?} Bison Preserve in Montana.

Some southwest indians still allowed peyote consciousness religion.

And...........................

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@mustardness
technology will change all the ancient cultures, there's no way to stop it, it's just the way of things, eventually with enough time, only books will be left about them.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
....eventually with enough time, only books will be left about them.
And then stupid young people will claim that the book is not evidence. The wheel in the sky keeps on turning.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@secularmerlin
National Indian surrender day....the meek inherited the Oklahoma earth...

674 days later

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@secularmerlin
Personally, I think their circumstance is a case that speaks to the value of nationalism, and tribalism.

The times in history they formed together against the 'other, are times that they shined, I'd say.
Though it's fair to say they also shined in enduring hardship and loss, generosity to strangers to their land, many others I assume.

Tecumseh's confederation in particular, I've always found impressive, though I haven't read of it as much as I'd like.

Even in the modern era, I think they could do better off, finding some way to unite, shed their skin and emerge stronger.
But I speak 'incredibly ignorantly here, and based off my own over puffed nationalism.
Just seems to me that they'd be better off for example trading all the scattered land they own and trying to acquire a large centralized version of it in America, rather than living by bits and pieces in America.
This may be uninformed of me, but groups in history have long done such I'd argue.
Look at Britain, Japan, Germany, France. They once had within themselves a bunch of tribes with different manners, customs, and speech. But they formed into larger countries, kept and refined much of what defined them.

Better than fading away, it seems to me, being absorbed by the people who took your land and ancestors lives.
But perhaps I'm being ignorant again, and the Native Americans of today are a proud and thriving people.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Lemming
An interesting stance considering that the culture and history you are referring to was mostly lost to the American tribe and their nationalism.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@secularmerlin
Seems to me it was the times that the Native Americans practiced stronger nationalism and confederacy themselves against the 'other, that they did better.
edit,
We build armies, because war ends up being a reality.
edit,
Somehow, you remind me a bit of Mencius, what little I've read of him.
What I remember, though likely a bit mistakenly.
Is Mencius being granted an audience with some ruler, and being disappointed by how focused the ruler was on improving his countries military and technology. Yet giving little thought to humane considerations, or improving his peoples ethical lot in life.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Lemming
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@secularmerlin
Interesting video, I agree with it.
Brings to mind Talleyrand, Machiavelli, and some book about dictatorship that I forget but talked about higher education in dictatorships often resulting in revolution.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Lemming
The principals outlined in the video would appear to be universal and unavoidable but nevertheless worth resisting. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Lemming
When is a Native American not a Native American?

It really only depends upon how far you want to keep turning the clock back.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@zedvictor4
When is a Native American not a Native American?
Not sure myself, though I am surely not any of the different cultures and people of my ancestors anymore.
Now I'm a white American, though that's not bad either of those.
Nor is it bad to be any other ethnicity or nationality, I'd say. A person should take pride in themself, I think.

Is an Italian a Roman, a Greek an Athenian, A Frenchman a Frank, A Mexican an Aztec.
And so on, I'd say yes and no.
A history is written, continues on, is sometimes venerated and followed a bit by descendants.
But the culture and blood is not what it once was I argue.
Not that I place 'such a high emphasis on it personally, I like myself most after all, just sometimes I muse on it.

Somehow, I'm reminded of some Science Fiction book, in which a large group of affluent humans paid for and developed their own space program, so they could settle some distant planet.
One of the backers was a group of people who had the blood of Native Americans, though such could not be told by appearances.
Anyway, there wasn't much room on Earth anymore, and that faction of the backers, wanted to revitalize a nomadic lifestyle.