Religious Liberty Task Force

Author: SkepticalOne

Total: 46
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
"The task force will help the department fully implement our religious liberty guidance by ensuring that all Justice Department components are upholding that guidance in the cases they bring and defend, the arguments they make in court, the policies and regulations they adopt and how we conduct our operations," Sessions said. "That includes making sure that our employees know their duties to accommodate people of faith."Sessions cited "a dangerous movement" aimed toward stripping away the First Amendment right to freedom of religion as a basis for forming the new task force."A dangerous movement, undetected by many, is now challenging and eroding our great tradition of religious freedom," Sessions said in his speech. "There can be no doubt. This is no little matter. It must be confronted and defeated."

I am a strong advocate for religious freedom, but I can't help but hear "religious privilege" when I hear the words in this context.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@SkepticalOne
I am a strong advocate for religious freedom,.....
As long as the religion is not Christianity.

but I can't help but hear "religious privilege" when I hear the words in this context.
Yeah. Was the task force to defend Islamic freedom, you would be all for it.
1harderthanyouthink
Debates: 0
1harderthanyouthink
The obsession with Islam from some people is staggering.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@1harderthanyouthink
The obsession with Islam from some people is staggering.
With the peaceful believers of Islam bombing and stabbing them in the streets, one wonders why.

Beelzedad
Beelzedad
""A dangerous movement, undetected by many" - Jeff Sessions

Did Sessions just admit he's a conspiracy theorist?
Castin
Castin
-->
@Beelzedad
Would that be surprising from a member of the Trump administration?
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Castin
It would be ironic given that has been all the claim against him.
Castin
Castin
-->
@ethang5
Yeah. Was the task force to defend Islamic freedom, you would be all for it.
The reception would definitely have been very different across demographics if the religious rights of Muslims had been specified. But I took protecting "people of faith" to include people of all religions.

Beelzedad
Beelzedad
-->
@Castin
But Sessions is the Attorney General. He must be a terrible lawyer.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Castin
But I took protecting "people of faith" to include people of all religions.
Yeah, you did.

Castin
Castin
-->
@ethang5
Yeah, you did.
Lol, granted. But I can understand why others might jump the gun. Sessions is the guy who tried to defend U.S. policy by reading from the Bible. During a public address where he was speaking as the Attorney General of the United States, not in private among friends or colleagues.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Castin
But I can understand why others might jump the gun. 
I can't. God is on our money. Our Presidents take their oath on a holy book. Our pledge mentions God. How is it wrong or surprising what Sessions did?

Separation of church and state does not mean separation from church. If we don't stand up to this attitude, innocuous things like wearing a crucifix will be against the law......wait.....

It already is in some places.
Castin
Castin
-->
@ethang5
I wish I was one of those atheists who is passionate enough to rail away that God should not be on our money and our presidents should not swear on the Bible, but I just don't give a shit about those things. Do I think they are out of line with separation of church and state, yes. Are they threatening my liberties or affecting my life, no.

I will say that those examples, and in general the argument that America has always been a Christian nation, seem to demonstrate how unnecessary this task force is, and how questionable it is to assert that religion is a special victim of oppression in America.

I'm not surprised by what Sessions did, btw. But imagine that he had defended U.S. policy by quoting a different religion's holy text. Better yet, imagine it was a democratic Attorney General who had quoted a different religion's holy text.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Castin
Seven different levels of burning hell would have broken loose.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@ethang5
As long as the religion is not Christianity. [...] Was the task force to defend Islamic freedom, you would be all for it.
A religion (any religion) being favored by the government eventually diminishes religious freedom for everyone.  

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@SkepticalOne
A religion (any religion) being favored by the government eventually diminishes religious freedom for everyone.  
We know what liberals say, we know what liberals do, and we see the discrepancy.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@SkepticalOne
We know what liberals say, we know what liberals do, and we see the discrepancy.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@ethang5
Please keep your comments relevant to the OP.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@SkepticalOne
You and I aren't strangers.

First, I will keep my comments relevant to me.
Second, I will keep my comments relevant to what you say. You said,  "A religion (any religion) being favored by the government eventually diminishes religious freedom for everyone."

This is one of the nice things liberals say that mean nothing to what they do. What I said was relevant to what you said.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@ethang5
This is one of the nice things liberals say that mean nothing to what they do. What I said was relevant to what you said.
Well, I'm not a liberal and this position isn't exclusive to progressives.  Did you have anything meaningful to add to this topic?

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@SkepticalOne
I was having a convo with Castin when you butted in. The actual question is, "Do you have anything meaningful to add to this topic?"
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@ethang5
I'll take that as a "no". 
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@SkepticalOne
Take it however you like. It's obvious your fantasy life is more real to you than reality.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
 Take it however you like.

I do not need your permission, but, thanks all the same!

It's obvious your fantasy life is more real to you than reality.

Speaking of fantasy, I made no comment on the conversation between you and Castin. 

I think we've gone off the rails completely here, so until were back on track I see no reason to continue, Ethan.

SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
You've spelled out exactly my concerns. It is concerning more people dont see this as a problem and recognize it as a potential attack on religious freedom.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@SkepticalOne
I do not need your permission, but, thanks all the same!
Then you didn't need to inform me of how you would take it. But you are welcome.

I made no comment on the conversation between you and Castin.
No, but since you were the one butting in, it was incumbent upon you to have something meaningful to add. You had nothing.

It is concerning more people dont see this as a problem and recognize it as a potential attack on religious freedom.
And of course, the way you see it is reality, and all those people who don't agree with you are incorrect.

As an American Christian, I know the only one guarding my religious freedom is me. If it were left to liberals and progressives, I would have no religion, much less freedom.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@ethang5

As an American Christian, I know the only one guarding my religious freedom is me. 

You have no need of a religious freedom task force? If so, we agree.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@SkepticalOne

....attack on religious freedom.
You don't care abut religious freedom.

You have no need of a religious freedom task force?
Like I said, your fantasy world is real to you. But my representatives, whom I voted for to create such bodies, would be surprised you were able to come to such a inane conclusion.

If so, we agree.
Of course you do.

What liberals say = We are concerned about attacks on religious freedom.
What liberals do = We don't want any govt action mitigating attacks on religious freedom.

You won't see the discrepancy, but don't worry, we will note it for you.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@ethang5
You don't care abut religious freedom.
I don't care about your religious beliefs - they have no value to me.  I do care about your right to have religious beliefs - this has tremendous value to everyone regardless of where they fall on the belief spectrum. 

But my representatives, whom I voted for to create such bodies, would be surprised you were able to come to such a inane conclusion.

Hmmmm, just so you know, this would be more than just yourself looking out for your religious freedom  But...whatever, I'm ok with that.  The thing is: Sessions is telling us he has created this crack force to keep our religious freedom safe, but he is also the same guy injecting his religious views into government business.  Clearly, he doesn't understand religious freedom! As Casten suggested (and you agreed,) if he had been of a religion other than Christianity saying and doing these things, there would be outrage. It's a double standard. 

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@SkepticalOne
I don't care about your religious beliefs - they have no value to me.
Neither does my religious freedom.

I do care about your right to have religious beliefs
No you don't. That is just what you say, but your behavior contradicts your words. Discrepancy.

this has tremendous value to everyone regardless of where they fall on the belief spectrum. 
It should have value. But discrepancies.

Hmmmm, just so you know, this would be more than just yourself looking out for your religious freedom
It would be action initiated by me for me. I am the only guarantor of my rights and freedoms.

But...whatever, I'm ok with that.
It would be the same if you weren't "OK" with it, but thank you very much.

...but he is also the same guy injecting his religious views into government business.
This is your personal opinion. Last I checked, the constitution was not interpreted using your personal opinion. Sessions has a whole team of lawyers, and did not create the task force in secret. Your anti-thrism is confusing you.

Clearly, he doesn't understand religious freedom!
It's funny how things are always so clear to the befuddled. Do you not remember the recent case of the cake maker and what the supreme court said about his religious rights being violated by government anti-religious bias?

As Casten suggested (and you agreed,) if he had been of a religion other than Christianity saying and doing these things, there would be outrage. It's a double standard. 
And that double standard would have been in the general public. Not in Sessions or me. You seem to be painting with an overly wide brush.

You disagree with Sessions, but fail to see that it is just your biased opinion making you think so, or the many informed professionals who do not think he has done anything wrong.