Your thoughts on Lee Kuan Yew and Singapore?

Author: Avery

Total: 55
Avery
Debates: 0
Avery
I find it fascinating he managed to get Singapore to work.

It had no natural resources and was effectively a 3rd world country. Somewhat authoritarian methods were used to enact policy and silence opposition. It's got a mix of ethnic groups, one of them being Han Chinese who are known for being very patriotic to China.

And yet he's made it all work AND make Singapore prosper into a first world country.

What is your opinion on him and Singapore?
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
Chew less gum and get more metropolitan.

The secret to Singapore? Forced nationwide urbanisation. I am not sure that isnecessarily a good thing.
Avery
Avery
-->
@RationalMadman
The secret to Singapore? Forced nationwide urbanisation. I am not sure that isnecessarily a good thing.
Why is not a good thing? Just curious.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Avery
Well imagine Australia without all its nature. Imagine it's all urbanised Canberra. If you'd have zero issue with that being all it has to offer, then perhaps you don't understand beauty of villages and rural areas.

Then again, you like your own posts so there clearly are things you don't get, on a fundamental level.
Avery
Avery
-->
@RationalMadman
Well, I don't have much experience with Australia, so I'll have to take your word for it.

I have more experience with South Africa. Urbanization isn't much of a problem there, even though a huge part of the country is civilized. You don't even need to stop at traffic lights. Just be careful not to run over the Bantus at night as they tend to get very close to your open car windows (usually to help with directions). So, I'm well aware with what beautiful villages and rural areas look like, given how culturally enriched South Africa is.

Oh and at least someone likes my posts.

No one likes yours.

My boy.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Avery
I like(emotionally) my own posts as well, lol, I'm sure some others like it too because self-likes don't count and i'm one of the most liked forum posters here but that's also due to quantity and because 3RU7AL likes all posts that aren't his/her/their own in thereads he/she/they posts to.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Avery
I find it fascinating he managed to get Singapore to work.

It had no natural resources and was effectively a 3rd world country. Somewhat authoritarian methods were used to enact policy and silence opposition. It's got a mix of ethnic groups, one of them being Han Chinese who are known for being very patriotic to China.

And yet he's made it all work AND make Singapore prosper into a first world country.

What is your opinion on him and Singapore?
He was the great Asian success. Singapore remains a shining example to the world.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Avery
It is necessary to live in the shoes of the average citizen of any country before one can give an educated opinion of that country.  You will find you may not like that country at all. I lived in Sweden for a short period, hated it.
Shila
Shila
-->
@sadolite
--> @Avery
It is necessary to live in the shoes of the average citizen of any country before one can give an educated opinion of that country.  You will find you may not like that country at all. I lived in Sweden for a short period, hated it.
Did you find out why they treated you so badly in Sweden?

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Shila
Your ignorance and condescension really shows. 
Shila
Shila
-->
@sadolite
--> @Avery
It is necessary to live in the shoes of the average citizen of any country before one can give an educated opinion of that country.  You will find you may not like that country at all . I lived in Sweden for a short period, hated it.

--> @Shila
Did you find out why they treated you so badly in Sweden? You said, “. I lived in Sweden for a short period, hated it.”
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Shila
Again your condescension knows no bounds, or your reading comprehension is really really atrocious.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@sadolite
I blocked him/her/them a couple days ago.

Try it, it feels good.
Shila
Shila
-->
@sadolite

It is necessary to live in the shoes of the average citizen of any country before one can give an educated opinion of that country.  You will find you may not like that country at all . I lived in Sweden for a short period, hated it.

--> @Shila
Did you find out why they treated you so badly in Sweden? You said, “. I lived in Sweden for a short period, hated it.”

Again your condescension knows no bounds, or your reading comprehension is really really atrocious.
Did you find out why they treated you so badly in Sweden? You said, “. I lived in Sweden for a short period, hated it.”
sadolite
sadolite
Read what I said very very carefully and then read your own reply, then explain  how you extrapolate my not liking to live in Sweden because people treated me badly. You don't even know why I didn't like it there. How did you even come to your conclusion?
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@RationalMadman
Ya, and you still respond to my posts.  You block me because of difference of opinion. That is the most lame reason ever. I don't  and never did or said  anything to you that would even remotely justify blocking me  and you know it. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@sadolite
you are not blocked anymore, if you didnt notice you are able to @ me for some time now, some time being since last December I'm pretty sure.
Shila
Shila
--> @sadolite
RationalMadman: you are not blocked anymore, if you didnt notice you are able to @ me for some time now, some time being since last December I'm pretty sure.
Why don’t you end your antisocial behaviour? Maybe get a nicer picture of your face.
Avery
Avery
-->
@Shila
--> @sadolite
RationalMadman: you are not blocked anymore, if you didnt notice you are able to @ me for some time now, some time being since last December I'm pretty sure.
Why don’t you end your antisocial behaviour? Maybe get a nicer picture of your face.
That's not him.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
Home is where the heart is.

Bit of a slushy saying, but true.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@zedvictor4
Oh I could easily live in Sweden if not for the oppressive nanny state Govt. The little guy doesn't have a chance in that country. If you aren't born into wealth the chances of obtaining it are next to nothing. Starting a small business in Sweden is next to impossible. That is why I hated living in Sweden. If you like being a ward of the state and paying high taxes on any money you are able to earn  then it would most definitely appeal to you.
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
-->
@Avery
When someone mentions the concept of a “benevolent dictator,” LKY and Singapore come to mind. Leadership matters… a lot. Singapore is an amazing success story but has its issues— mainly with its retired population, I’ve been told. Many nations have an issue there, though. And LKY has his flaws and detractors, too.

Just shows you that even successful nations will have their issues, and good leaders will have their flaws and detractors…

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
Nope.

UK is fine for me.

Sweden makes some good TV dramas.

I don't mind sub-titles.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@zedvictor4
I cant think of an educated  coherent response without coming across  like Shila.  allrightythen
Shila
Shila
-->
@sadolite
--> @zedvictor4
I cant think of an educated  coherent response without coming across  like Shila.  allrightythen
Shila serves as a role model for members like you who can’t think of an educated  coherent response

Avery
Avery
-->
@cristo71
When someone mentions the concept of a “benevolent dictator,” LKY and Singapore come to mind. Leadership matters… a lot. Singapore is an amazing success story but has its issues— mainly with its retired population, I’ve been told. Many nations have an issue there, though. And LKY has his flaws and detractors, too.

Just shows you that even successful nations will have their issues, and good leaders will have their flaws and detractors…
What exactly are the problems with the retired population.

cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
-->
@Avery
Well, in the brief times I’ve been there, you can see older folks trying to sell things on the street. Evidently, when taken in the context of the high cost of living there, Singapore’s version of Social Security isn’t enough to get by, and most citizens don’t financially plan for retirement properly.

Here’s one of several articles:

Shila
Shila
-->
@cristo71

--> @Avery
Well, in the brief times I’ve been there, you can see older folks trying to sell things on the street. Evidently, when taken in the context of the high cost of living there, Singapore’s version of Social Security isn’t enough to get by, and most citizens don’t financially plan for retirement properly.

Singaporean being Chinese expect their children to take care of their aging parents. In return the parents share their wealth as inheritance. No public handouts necessary.
Avery
Avery
-->
@cristo71

I have to wonder how much of the population's percentage these people are. There are some people in life who are just destined to fail, not matter how great the system is.

Shila
Shila
-->
@Avery
--> @cristo71

I have to wonder how much of the population's percentage these people are. There are some people in life who are just destined to fail, not matter how great the system is.
Selling personal items to pay bills is better than not having  anything to sell and forced to rely on handouts.