what does mug mean?
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
I guess it pisses some people off when you try to push your religion on them
keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
I doubt he even got the chance to say why he was there.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@janesix
What does mug mean?

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@janesix
Deeeeez muuuuugs

Lol

Thats the kind of language my spouse and I use when talking about certain behaviors. You know, like, "look at this dude over here pullin a mug move"

Mopac
Mopac
I'm going to go with martyr.

You know, there is even a biblical precedent for being a fool for Christ sake.

It is even a classification for saint in Orthodox tradition.

Castin
Castin
Wasn't he putting the tribe in danger of communicable disease by going there?
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@janesix
He died you should be glad. 
disgusted
disgusted
Gods work in mysterious ways. bwuahahahahahaha
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Castin
Maybe when they all start dying, they'll attribute it to murdering this man who came to their Island, and be nicer to visiters in the future.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@keithprosser

Absolute mug. I have no sympathy for him as I do for his relatives.  But you haven't given your verdict keith., why is that? Waiting for others to take the plunge before you yourself comes off the fence?

There is also the other Christian story that the christians here seem to want to avoid. that of the poor pakistani christian Asia Bibi who after serving 8 years was finally acquitted of blasphemy and who now is in hiding for her life after the countries muslims are up in arms at the verdict.

There is a house to house search going on for her as we speak. They will behead her if she is caught and not a peep from her Christian brothers and sisters in the west.

I wrote to my MP telling him he must give her asylum here in GB. His weak kneed, disgusting apologists reply was to the effect that -  to interfere and allow her refuge may upset "British muslims here at home and we have to consider their reactions".

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Stephen
I note that not all MPs share your MPs attitude.
They will behead her if she is caught and not a peep from her Christian brothers and sisters in the west.
I would say there are a lot of peeps.

It is clear that Pakistan is itself riven by this.  Obviously not every Pakistani - nor every Moslem - wants Bibi dead.  I'd like to see a demographic analysis of the mobs baying for her blood and those who - so far - have managed to keep her alive.   

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@keithprosser
I note that not all MPs share your MPs attitude.

Only 604 mp's to go then

I'd like to see a demographic analysis of the mobs baying for her blood
Well the riots of some thousands over her release went on for some days.  I haven't found anything  nothing from Khan condemning these protests baying for her blood only him warning  violence won't be tolerated.

and those who - so far - have managed to keep her alive.   
Well she has been released. So it seems she's looking after herself as those harbouring her have also been threatened with death.

Foreign Office 'allowed Pakistan mob to dictate Asia Bibi asylum case'

Castin
Castin
-->
@Mopac
That doesn't really answer my question. Why did he go there if he knew there was a risk they could all die of illnesses he was carrying? In the past, explorers have wiped out whole cultures of native peoples this way. When the European settlers came to the Americas, 90% of Native Americans died of European diseases they had no immunities for. Whole cities once busy and populated became silent graveyards. What use is it to bring Christ to these islands if the islanders all die before you can make them understand what Christianity even is?

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Castin
Well, I hope they don't get sick. If that means anything.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
A disingenuous change of heart? post #11
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@disgusted
Not at all. I don't want them to die.
But if they do, maybe the superstition of these savages will cause them to attribute it to murdering this visitor to their island and they will be nicer.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
Pray to your god to smite them, he loves that.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@disgusted
Forgive them, they know not what they do.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
Maybe when they all start dying, they'll attribute it to murdering this man who came to their Island, and be nicer to visiters in the future.

Truely sick.  This is a 'that'll teach em' attitude from a  "love thy neighbour / turn the other cheek" Christian.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
Your attitude is perpetually sick. 

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@keithprosser

I would say there are a lot of peeps.

It is not just Asia they want dead now, it's her whole family. 

Asia Bibi's family hunted by religious extremists going door-to-door 

And not a single peep from the fawning  christian sycophants,  of the forum. 
Castin
Castin
-->
@Mopac
Well, I hope they don't get sick. If that means anything.
I think it means you're being a good Christian about it, but I'm no expert.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Castin
I think not wanting them to die is not specific to 'good Christians'!   I think he actually shows his human side and suppresses the 'good Christian' notion that it is better to die in Christ than to die without.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
Do the people who are demanding their government "do something" know that Pakistan is a sovereign country? England cannot "gave" her asylum unless she and Pakistan agrees.

As for the young missionary, he was just young and too full of passion. At least his intent was altruistic. Atheists would have gone there either to plunder their riches, or to film their half naked women for internet gold.
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Castin
I don't see a whole lot of merit in the disease angle, as disease resistance in a population is acquired due to people within that population dying from disease. The only reason that people outside of the islands have disease resistance is the fact that the exact thing happened to them millennia ago. While the loss of human life is certainly tragic, it's something that's going to inevitably happen unless there's a worldwide population crash.

I've always found the Sentinelese fascinating. Their language is completely unique, the only such surviving language with no data on it, to our knowledge. Their hostility stretches back centuries, and I think that it's a really good thought exercise to put yourself in their shoes, within their narrowly circumscribed world. To them, Sentinel Island is the entire universe. We are the equivalent of UFOs. It almost makes you a bit envious, and makes the death seem more tragic than anything else. We call them savages, but would we react very different to any sort of extraterrestrial presence which had begun with a few fatal abductions?
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
The disease problem is that the Sentenelise are a small population that has been isolated for a long time.  That inevitably means their genetic diversity is low.   Large populations survive epidemics because there is enough genetic diversity for some people to have natural immnunity.  A disease that kills one Sentenise is very likely to kill all of them.

ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@keithprosser
Natural immunity is seldom absolute though, it's a degree of susceptibility. And it is incredibly rare for an epidemic to wipe out any population (hell, even to infect an entire population), no matter how isolated it is. They usually recover within a few generations, with added resistance. Look at any diseases with a 100% fatality rate, and most them aren't easily communicable to being with, requiring vectors or specific means of infection.
keithprosser
keithprosser
I think it right to err on the side of caution. 

I think the attitude that 'it probably won't kill all of them' is a tad cavalier.   Nobody would really gain much from a closer contact and it would be the Sentinelese not us taking the big risk for our curiosity.